• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sauce for those fading black bits?

knary

looking for a coal mine
The black bits on my bike aren't looking so black anymore. They're in need of some TLC and I'm planning on -gasp- washing my bike sometime in the next week. Does anyone have any recommendations? I need a magical substance that will restore to black, and protect, what is slowly turning chalky gray.

The best stuff I've ever used was that Gummi Pflege(sp?) that you can get at some BMW shops. I don't think my local shop carries it. So I'm looking for something that you can find at your local Walmart or cheesy auto shop (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc). Armor All, as you know, just doesn't cut it.

thank you,

-scott

MotherÔÇÖs Back to Black - especially if you're not in the habit of cleaning. Armor Gunk and others like it require repeated applications to keep the shine up. The MotherÔÇÖs product just strips oxidation away with no gunky build up!

I use Back to Black also. I like it because it does not leave a sticky/slippery film on the parts. You can use it on your seat and you won't slide around like you would if you used Armorall. It also does not attract dust the way Armorall does. It smells nice too, not that I go around sniffing it or anything.:yow

MCMXCIV-RS said:
I use Back to Black also. I like it because it does not leave a sticky/slippery film on the parts. You can use it on your seat and you won't slide around like you would if you used Armorall. It also does not attract dust the way Armorall does. It smells nice too, not that I go around sniffing it or anything.:yow

If yer sniffin' seats, we need to have an offline conversation. :huh

WHo has a problem with seat sniffin'?

Okay - thanks for sharing. I will try some Back to Black. I have found that I am getting much less obsessive about having the bike all spiffy all the time.

Scott - Forget about shopping at Wal-Mart. Get small, get local. Support smaller local and/or regional businesses - it is better for all of us in the long run.

Nope

No Wal-Mart sucks thread here, chief.
See, nothin' up my sleeves......

fading black bits

I use Grape Tire Dressing on my plastic parts and it keeps them looking fresh and natural.

I purchased mine from Top of the Line in Hackett, AR. Their
website is www.topoftheline.com. It is $18.95 by the gallon,
but they have smaller spray bottles too.

It is good on rubber, vinyl, non painted plastic trim, weather-
stripping, and as a lubricant for door hinges.

Gerald

If Don e sees this perhaps he can mention the magic elixr that he noted and posted over on the IBMWR list. I didn't pay attention then, But my K bike needs some love :)

Craig

Quick update on this vital topic:

I ended up buying some "Back to Black". It worked very well and some friends asked if I had gotten some new hard bags. On the down side, it's kind of a pain to apply, but maybe I'm lazy. First you rub it into the surface. Then you rub some more in. Then you let it dry and then rub it again to get rid of the streaks that appeared while it dried.

After a couple muddy nasty days and some sun, the areas I applied it to still look good. It was something like $6. I'm satisfied.

knary said:
Quick update on this vital topic:

I ended up buying some "Back to Black". It worked very well and some friends asked if I had gotten some new hard bags. On the down side, it's kind of a pain to apply, but maybe I'm lazy. First you rub it into the surface. Then you rub some more in. Then you let it dry and then rub it again to get rid of the streaks that appeared while it dried.

After a couple muddy nasty days and some sun, the areas I applied it to still look good. It was something like $6. I'm satisfied.

I use that regularly, but beware, it tends to collect dust like Armor All if you don't do a good buffing after you apply the last coat. I found it works very good on black pained engine parts and anything black.

Jim

Back to Black is GREAT

The rear portion of the Rockster has lots of plastic and rubber like stuff. I have been using armour all for years. I began to notice that while AA worked well on some of the black plastic on my bike, other parts were an ugly looking gray haze. I don't keep my bike spotless like I used to, but when I do clean it up - I want it to look great.
Read this post about B to B from Mothers. Tried to get some to no avail. Brought home some $9 stuff from 3M (hey, they ought to know chemicals, right?) It stunk. It made the parts black again, but if I looked long enough I could literally watch the haze come back. My nephew told me to try another store which I did.
Secured some B to B and its works as advertised. Very happy camper and it is only $5 around here.
Thanks for another great tip on this great forum.

I'm a new BMW owner and new to the forum but I have been lurking for a while. I felt compelled to chime in on this subject though.

I own a Chev Avalanche and 4 plastic kayaks so I have to deal with lots of plastic. I have used most of the "conventional" products with moderate success. But, the best product by far is called "303" (http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home). It keeps my plastic cladding on my Avalanche black, not slick assuming you don't use too much. I gave my plastic on my newly acquired 2002 R1150RT and made it look brand new.

Just beware that a little goes a long way. I spray in on a rag and rub it on, let it sit then buff it off.

Thanks to the MOA for sponsoring this well supported and informed forum.

dbrick,

I see you are located where I'm from. Grew up on Los Gatos, lived in Watsonville off Green Valley Rd to escape from "the valley". I miss the coast but don't miss all the politics and cost of living there.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.

The 303 aerospace protectant is what I have used. I haven't tried any of their other products and can't speak for them.

I get mine at REI since I have a store close by. The best place to find it is at canoe/kayak or other boating/marine stores.

Its this one

dbrick said:
Bongo: which 303 product is it? Their website lists ten different ones.

Its this one.
I have used it on my boat and on a Jeep Wrangler. Great stuff! It't is the only thing that kept my new fender flares from fading on my wrangler. Apply it lightly and buff it out and it keeps things looking new!

Back