• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

California loop

bob_m

I was able to get some vacation days hung onto either side of a the national landscape architect's convention in San Francisco, so I took a little ride. This is Mt Lassen. The road there goes between Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen through a volcanic plateau at about 5000'. There was hoar frost in the fields, snow on the roadsides and an electric vest blessing me with warmth.

Attachments

• 1lassen.jpg
    1lassen.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 116
From Susanville I went south on Hwy 395. Here is a view at Bridgeport

Attachments

• 1view.jpg
    1view.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 112
East of Lone Pine

On the way to Death Valley I took advantage of the open space and had an unimproved campsite. Whipping wind left a film of talc like dust inside the tent, but the isolation, distance from urban lights and dark night resulted in the best star show in my memory

Attachments

• 1camp.jpg
    1camp.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 107
Desert dawn with the morning sun on the high sierra

Attachments

• 1dawn.jpg
    1dawn.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
Dropping in

The ride into Death Valley is a real ear popper. My camp site was at about 4000' and the plunge goes down to sea level. The location was so isolated, and with the sun in my eyes, I was sorta sorta nervous about something going wrong. Thankfully nothing did

Attachments

• 1ribbon.jpg
    1ribbon.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 107
The bottom

Death Valley is an barren but beautiful landscape

Attachments

• 1dune.jpg
    1dune.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 105
From the valley of death I rolled through the Amargosa river valley, I saw wild horses (thankfully, in the distance). I thought I was running a pretty good clip, keeping the old airhead at about 5000 RPM. Once I got to I-15 (the route between LA and Las Vegas) I found that I needed to go 90 to keep up with traffic.

I went to LA where my sister lives and had a nice meal with family, the North on 101. From the Salinas Valley town of Greenfield I turned left to get to the Carmel Valley Road. This the Signature California landscape of amber hillsides and Oak shaded woodland. This road is one of the most dramatic transects in the state. This rough, hardscrabble farm road changes runs into one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the USA

Attachments

• 1carmelV.jpg
    1carmelV.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 101
California Sycamore

The plant material thrives in this valley

Attachments

• 1sycamore.jpg
    1sycamore.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 96
Finally

I spent that night in the Portola Redwoods State Park in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The roads through that area are a maze of twisties through cathedral forests. Nice stuff. In the AM I was served a cholesterol heavy breakfast at the famous road house, AliceÔÇÖs Restaurant.

San Francisco was good to me. The Blue Angels put on their show for fleet week, and like minded professionals professed, and ate and drank.

The ride home took me through Santa Rosa, Calistoga and past Clear Lake to I-5 where I blitzed home. The roads were wet and rain intermittent, but it is a lovely time of year to be on the road and the west has a lot to see.

Attachments

• 1alices.jpg
    1alices.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 95
You can get anything you want
At Alice's Restaurant!

:eat

Nice pics! Fun place to ride! Thanks for sharing. :)

Somethings missing

I notice that there are no bugs on your headlight or windscreen.

I'd miss that. :heh

Excellent!

Really good road photos. Can you really just pitch a tent out there without somebody squawking?

home sick

Great photos. Made me homesick. Next time you're out by Death Valley, check out the Trona Pinnacles. that's where they filmed the last Planet of the Apes, no need to say more. Regarding pitching a tent out there, no problem, but no need for a tent. build a fire with mesquite and when you're done, cover it with sand and sleep on top. As long as you don't move around too much in your sleep, you shouldn't get any burns...........:nono

Back