• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

85 K100 Flickering lights

I checked my beloved old girl into the hospital this morning. Visiting hours are from 8 AM to 12 Noon Eastern Time, if you want to visit her.

I told Wilbur about the ignition switch and gave him a printout from the link in the earlier posts here. He sort of scoffs at the idea. He thinks (from experience) that it is the starter brushes, so he is going to pull the starter and clean it. If the brushes are worn enough, he'll go ahead and do that, too. If that doesn't fix the problem, he said he'll look at the switch.

Wilbur hates K Bikes. He is an Air Head guy. But I pay the bux and he does the work anyway. He grumbles alot, but he always comes through.

I know I really should learn how to work on the K. But I am just really nervous and hesistant about working on my own bike. I shouldn't be; I actually started out as an automotive mechanic way back when. But there is something about tearing into my own stuff that scares me.

Maybe if things work out in 3 years, I will keep the old K when I get a new bike, or at least a fairly new bike. Then maybe I'll try my hand at wrenching on my old bike. If I screw something up, no big deal.

Anyway, the lights were screwed up this morning, so at least Wilbur saw what she is doing. Once he thinks he has it fixed, I will repost here to report on what he did...

Cheers Godzilla- I know this is quite an archaic thread, but I'm having the exact same issue. Headlights / instrument cluster flickering, and occasionally turning off entirely. Engine running strong. Please, if you remember, what was the solution with yours?

Back