Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 85 K100 Flickering lights

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    The ign switch has separate contacts for the lights and ign. So it could be the switch. Also could be the starter brushes. Since you have no starter issues, I would try the switch first.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    The ign switch has separate contacts for the lights and ign. So it could be the switch. Also could be the starter brushes. Since you have no starter issues, I would try the switch first.

Thanks, Chuck! I am going to take a print out of the link in the previous message and let the mechanics try that first to see if it fixes it.
    Godzilla!
    '85 K100 "ZoomZoomZoom"
    '71 R75/5 "Zippy"

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    Thanks, Chuck! I am going to take a print out of the link in the previous message and let the mechanics try that first to see if it fixes it.
    Somewhere in a thread a fellow just learned that you can remove the red paint from a dot under the ign switch assembly back a slotted screw out and the switch itself will come off the bottom easily without removing the whole assembly. I remember that and it is good info if you are doing it yourself, etc.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Thanks, Chuck. It looks like I was loosing the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    Question! Does the starter circuit and the light circuit share the same switch posts on the ignition switch?
    All switched power goes thru the ignition switch. Basically. battery voltage is wired to the center connector (red) of the ignition switch and this is then switched to various outputs as the key is turned. This would include the headlight. The starter relay is switched but the starter itself is not.

FWIW, I spent a long time trouble shooting an electrical problem with my K75. Everything I tried *seemed* to help for awhile but the problem always returned. I replaced the battery, alternator, starter, cleaned all sorts of connectors, cleaner the injectors, even disconnected my Hyperlites. Turned out that the power input connector in the ignition switch was making intermittent contact. I think that all my troubleshooting included a fair number of switching on/off and starting which was probably wiping the contact slightly cleaner. Removing and cleaning the ignition switch solved my problem completely.
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....

I checked my beloved old girl into the hospital this morning. Visiting hours are from 8 AM to 12 Noon Eastern Time, if you want to visit her.

I told Wilbur about the ignition switch and gave him a printout from the link in the earlier posts here. He sort of scoffs at the idea. He thinks (from experience) that it is the starter brushes, so he is going to pull the starter and clean it. If the brushes are worn enough, he'll go ahead and do that, too. If that doesn't fix the problem, he said he'll look at the switch.

Wilbur hates K Bikes. He is an Air Head guy. But I pay the bux and he does the work anyway. He grumbles alot, but he always comes through.

I know I really should learn how to work on the K. But I am just really nervous and hesistant about working on my own bike. I shouldn't be; I actually started out as an automotive mechanic way back when. But there is something about tearing into my own stuff that scares me.

Maybe if things work out in 3 years, I will keep the old K when I get a new bike, or at least a fairly new bike. Then maybe I'll try my hand at wrenching on my old bike. If I screw something up, no big deal.

Anyway, the lights were screwed up this morning, so at least Wilbur saw what she is doing. Once he thinks he has it fixed, I will repost here to report on what he did...
    Godzilla!
    '85 K100 "ZoomZoomZoom"
    '71 R75/5 "Zippy"

Cheers Godzilla- I know this is quite an archaic thread, but I'm having the exact same issue. Headlights / instrument cluster flickering, and occasionally turning off entirely. Engine running strong. Please, if you remember, what was the solution with yours?