• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Road Pilot 2

Michelin Road Pilot 2? Only with an ABS bike, as known to slip until second tread layer engages when cold or slippery. Reported in a review in Motorcyclist or MCN this month or last.

I personally favor Pirelli, but Contis and Avons are OK. I have Pilot Sport 2 tires on my car, and they have been good for wear, but not great for handling, either.

Sorry, but this is as honest as I can get, here.:bikes

Nope, you made me look!

Page 110 of Motorcyclist September 2007 says "Aggressive riding coupled with lots of horsepower tended to spin the rear tire at the transition from soft rubber to the harder stuff." A friend of mine that has them here, in Phoenix, says his spins out all the time, using one of the lower HP Ninja 600's. Reading this review made me think of him and his issue.

Motorcyclist follows the above quote with "We're itching for a chance to see how the Pilot Road 2s feel on the local roads." I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig that writes a good or a bad report letter to the Editor, would you?

And long-lasting "bragging rights" tires usually have slippage problems, those characterizes go hand in hand. That's another feature I don't on my bike, on the car it is just barely OK, since with W rated 255-35-19's I want 20K or 25K rather than the 15K my car gave me on the OEM tires (Bridgestone). On the bike, I say let them go 5K to 10K or once a year about two months after the heat season is over. What you want, well to each their own or YMMV. :brow

Michelin Road Pilot 2? Only with an ABS bike, as known to slip until second tread layer engages when cold or slippery. Reported in a review in Motorcyclist or MCN this month or last.

I personally favor Pirelli, but Contis and Avons are OK. I have Pilot Sport 2 tires on my car, and they have been good for wear, but not great for handling, either.

Sorry, but this is as honest as I can get, here.:bikes

"Superbike" saw it differently.

Michelin's new Pilot Road 2 tyre

What is this?
Home
?? News
?? Michelin's new Pilot Road 2 tyre
February 26, 2007 - Kenny
In what may well be a first, Michelin offered journalists a chance to try a new tyre on a wet test track, back-to-back with the previous Michelin tyre it replaces. And it revealed independent tests which 'proved' that the opposition tyres were ****. It's the new Michelin Pilot Road 2, another dual-compound tyre ... Scroll down for the full story

Rarely, if ever, do companies let you try the 'old' model of bike or tyre that they are about to replace and, for letting us ride the old Pilot Road tyre prior to 'unleashing' the press on the new Pilot Road 2, Michelin deserves to be applauded. In addition, since Michelin was making claims for improved wet weather grip, Michelin took us to its wet track facility near Salon de Provence and made us ride on a wet track which was designed to have very little grip in the exit of corners. Amazing.
Long story short, you'd have to have been insane and/or totally lacking in sensitivity not to have noticed a difference in the feel (and, ultimately performance) between the old and new tyres. And, after we had ridden the Pilot Road 2, we were shown data gathered by independent industrial test company CERM (Centre d'Essais Routiers Mechanique) which 'proved' that the Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyre has better wears less and grips better in the wet than the opposition which, in no order, included the Pirelli Diablo Strada, Bridgestone BT021 and BT020, Dunlop Sportmax D220, Continental Road Attack Z and the Metzeler Roadtec Z6. It's a bold move by the French company, but, since they datalogged the journos laps on the old Pilot Road and then sent us all out on the Pilot Road 2 so we could compare speed, lean angles and throttle position as well as braking forces, Michelin has been as open with quantifying and measuring otherwise ephemeral 'feeling' as it's possible to get on a product launch. Bien joue les frogs!
Needless to say there will be more detail in the next issue of SuperBike but you could click through to www.Michelin.fr and see what else you can find on the new dual-compound Pilot Road 2.
Oh yes and Colin Edwards was indeed present at the launch ÔÇô on his birthday as well. The man deserves a bottle or three of champagne!

AFAIK, Michelin has always sold the Pilot Road series as a wet weather tire. (I know, with climates like ours, who cares?) But I can say the original Pilot Roads I had on my Triumph Sprint ST did a more than admirable job in the wet on a trip I took to BC in 2002 when it rained some portion of every day, and I experienced several day-long deluges.

"Superbike" saw it differently.

Yeah in February 2007.

In my book a review of the same tires one month ago in September 2007 is far more reliable than testing on a new product. If you want to be the tester, be my guest. For my $$, I want something that will stick, and wear out fast. That way I know it sticks, wet or dry! On a car, it is quite different.

Back