View Poll Results: What kind of connection do you have?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've got a cable modem

41 47.67%
  • I've got DSL

33 38.37%
  • I've got a dial up

7 8.14%
  • I dunno, I'm doing this at work

5 5.81%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of connection do you have?

What kind of connection do you have?

Well?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Once I switched from a dialup. I never looked back.

High-speed internet is the best drug.

I have DSL but it isn't the greatest. I once had cable net and it was great 97+% of the time.
    My current DSL is good most of the time but I have a couple of gripes with it, including that I have to turn it on every time I use it.

Dial up in this neighborhood stinks

Went to cable over a year ago. Well worth the $42 a month. We run two computers with a wireless network connection and she rocks almost all of the time.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Re: Dial up in this neighborhood stinks

Originally posted by Cliffy777
    Went to cable over a year ago. Well worth the $42 a month. We run two computers with a wireless network connection and she rocks almost all of the time.
    That's exactly what we have. I work from home, so my company pays for our connection too.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

I mooch off the fact that I live a ten-minute walk from a computer lab at school (Indiana University). It's wicked fast. I have to pay a technology fee in tuition, so I might as well take advantage of it!

Subzero Scooter Idiot oldcarkook's Avatar
    I've had cable modem for 3 years here. It's the best. The speed has dropped by about 50% since it was first installed. I did speed tests and consistently had speeds about 2 times a T1 line for the first year or two, but now as my neighbors all figure it out and the bandwidth is getting sucked up, I am dropping down to just cable modem speeds.

Once you go cable, you never go back.

Blast from the past.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

REBECCAV
    Reading this one was like taking the WAY back machine!!!

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Roadrunner

• Unlimited long distance (great for calling RedRider and Toruingo)
    • Internet
    • Cable TV - all in one package

But will probably switch to Verizon and Fiber Optic when that arrives here next year.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 10-11-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Verizon FIOS

Three service package installed at home last week. Lightning fast and I can see all the pictures clearly now.

Still on Dial-Up at home

.... We live so far out in the country that cable is non-existent. Direct TV is too expensive.

I can still dial-up (for free) using my company's ISP connection, which works when I really, REALLY have to get online. But I avoid any good websites from that computer. I mainly use it to simply check my email by using the web client.

For real Internet access, I just come into the office or stop at a nearby coffee shop when I need to get on-line.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; MOA Director
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    .... We live so far out in the country that cable is non-existent. Direct TV is too expensive.
    I'm with Sue, sort of. I'm not that far in the country, but there's no cable or DSL here. (I run a webserver here, so satellite is out.) But I've had DSL before, and you can't give it up once you've had the drug.

So, I have a radio ISP. It's essentially directional WiFi B, and I'm sharing the 11Mb bandwidth with a bunch of people out this way. I have an antenna that looks like an old fashioned BBQ grill that someone dropped a bowling ball on, mounted on my roof and aimed at Mt. Loma Prieta. (That's the epicenter of the World Series earthquake in 1989, about 10 miles as the crow flies from here.) I typically get 600Kb service, but they only guarantee me 256Kb.

It's damned expensive, too, but I bring it into the realm of reality by sharing the connection with a couple neighbors who can't even get satellite.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

On the Road
    Harmar Township, PA 15 miles Northeast of Pittsburgh
    I know a few people who know some people.

Is that the kind of connections you were talking about?

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I'll talk up DirecTV satellite service to anyone who'll listen, but I've heard their satellite internet connection is a joke - downloading is not much faster than dial-up, and uploading is very similar to dial-up.

I've had Verizon DSL for 8 years now. In that time, I've had one modem go TU, but they FedExed me a new one the next day. The wireless router sends the signal around our house and yard, so the wife can connect with her work laptop, our "just for fun" PowerBook, or with the desktop PC hardwired into the network.

I'd go with cable internet, but I hate Comcast and have the aforementioned DirecTV satellite service, so I have no use for cable television.

I'll go with Verizon's fiber optic service when the finally get around to rolling it out here in the Silicon Forest. On-demand sounds cool, but I won't pay Comcast for it. Besides, DirecTV provides a much better picture and sound quality than cable. But now I'm off-topic.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold