• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Numb Hands (Moved to correct forum..)

gboyvin

I have had my 1200 RT for 6 months have have tried everything from hand grip covers to thick gloves in an effort to eliminate my right hand from going numb on rides. I have had several different bikes in the past (primarily HD) and I have never experienced this problem. My local delaer is at a loss for remedies, so I'm looking for ideas.:banghead

Last edited:
I have had my 1200 RT for 6 months have have tried everything from hand grip covers to thick gloves in an effort to eliminate my right hand from going numb on rides. I have had several different bikes in the past (primarily HD) and I have never experienced this problem. My local delaer is at a loss for remedies, so I'm look for ideas.:banghead

This may sound really simple, but I have found that a more relaxed grip in the bars will go a long way toward easing this problem.:thumb Light touch, better control too!

Len

Numb Hands help

I use Throttle Rockers on both grips. These help me not to grip too tight. Then I scoot up in the seat for less weight on my hands. Plus, I use the Throttlemeister as much as possible. With my minimum carpel tunnel this all helps. Try it all!

R1150RS

if you are uneder 5'11", you may try bar backs or handle bar risers; worked great on my 1150rt

I sometimes have the same problem. I loosen my grip and also move my elbow in closer to my body, not sure why this works but you can feel the difference immediately

Watch how closely your clothing fits around your wrist. A tight strap on a glove or a tight cuff on a riding suit/jacket will cut off blood flow to your hand as surely as a tourniquet. If you're left-handed, a watch worn on the right wrist can get squeezed between your wrist and the fabric of your clothing, further constricting the blood flow into your hand.

Loosen up the restricting clothing around your wrist and let that blood flow into your hands!

I find the single most important thing in keeping my hands comfortable is the bend at the wrist. The straighter it is, the more comfortable. So I start off by gripping way forward on the grip so that when twisting the throttle my wrist is a straight line from my forearm to hand.

I sometimes have the same problem. I loosen my grip and also move my elbow in closer to my body, not sure why this works but you can feel the difference immediately

Excellent suggestion- and here is why it does work- Moving your elbows closer to your body has the effect of causing the muscles in your shoulders to relax.

Quite a few of the people that I see in my office have the same problem, but get these symptoms when driving a car. I have them try to hold the steering wheel further down towards the 4/5 o'clock and 7/8 o'clock position. This has the effect of allowing their shoulders to drop and relax.
"Bar-backs" may also help, as may stretching your shoulders before AND AFTER you ride.
These type of altered sensations are often attributed to a neurological cause but are many times due to muscular tightness- try "Googling" Trigger Points or look at this particular link:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/neuropat.htm

Good luck.
John

I have the solution for you!

Try this website www.qwinerveprotector.com

I have carpal tunnel, and after a 1/2 hour on a bike, I'm locking the throttle on, so I can shake the tingling out of my hands. I bought a pair of Qwi gloves at the Wisconsin rally, and rode 400 miles the next day with NO numbness. What a great feeling!

These gloves have pads in the palms that protect the "ulnar nerve" that runs through there. They look just like regular riding gloves, with two small pads on the heel of your hand. It's so simple, and so effective.

I bought the fingerless version with the spandex back, which are very comfortable. I will buy a full leather set this fall for colder weather riding.

Best of luck
-Marty

Sorry if I've posted this information twice. I hit the submit button once, and didn't see that it got posted, so I wrote it again. The original may show up. My mom always said, if it's worth saying, it's worth repeating.

I had the same problem on my first "long" ride on my RT. I relaxed my grip and used the outer part of my palm to hold the throttle verses the part by my thumb. Worked like a charm.

I find myself leaning on my hands and it makes them go numb. If I concentrate on keeping my weight off my hands, it helps a lot and loosening my grip also helps. The throttle rocker helps on my airhead but the cruise on my CLC is worth its weight in gold. Set the cruise for about 1/2 a minute and everything clears up for a while.

Using the mouse

My right hand gets very tired when I ride. I ordered a Throttlemeister and hope to get it today. I sure hope it helps. Like many of you I spend my day at a computer using the mouse and also have a sore hand from that. Combine that with riding and you have a sore hand. My chiropractor worked on my hand and that has seemed to help some but I'm really looking forward to the Throttlemeister.
Mark

It sounds like a bunch of you guys would benefit from the Qwi gloves. Most of the symptoms you are describing are attributable to an irritated bundle of nerves. I'd suggest any of you to try them. Then you wouldn't have to adjust your riding posture, or worry about which part of your hand you hold the throttle with. You can grip it as tightly as you like, for as long as you like. If these gloves could make such a difference for me, with a fairly good case of carpal tunnel, I believe they could make a difference for just about anybody who has tingling in the hands.

I do not represent this company in any way, I just want to share my good fortune with somebody who has the same problem I had.

How about just having the Carpal Release surgery? I have had both hands/wrist done and don''t have any numbness problems. It's a simple surgey and after my last hand (left) was done I was back on my bike after two weeks of recovery. Beats the heck out of numb fingers. Of course the orthoscopic prodedure is a faster recovery. I recently did a SS1000 without any problems at all.

Chuck

All those suggestions are good but let me add something I just learned.

I have your symptoms and have 1 of the three tests for carpal tunnel syndrome present, so I have minor carpal tunnel syndrome.

The chiropractor did a neck adjustment and a shoulder muscle massage. The nerves going down the arm to the hand pass through the shoulder muscles, if your shoulder muscles are tight then the squeeze on the nerves.

The improvement for me was immediate and definite.

But I've had it with a K, oilhead and airhead as well as a bunch of UJMs.. Seems to be a universal problem.
True - not model/make specific for sure - but some of the potential cures (bar-backs, bar-end weights, etc.) may be quite model specific. Hence - it got moved.

All of the above suggestions are excellent.. a few things I've learned help:

1 - heated grips on - helps keep circulation going in the hand
2 - leave the wrist straps on gloves loose
3 - if wearing a wristwatch on the numb hand's wrist - take it off. I've gone back to a pocketwatch..
4 - if the right hand is the problem - some sort of throttle assist helps a lot - so you don't have to grip as tight. I used the $0.12 poor mans throttle assist - a large O ring between the grip and housing. Keeps the throttle where I set it, but lets me easily roll it off. Helps with the touchy throttle on the R1200R
5 - don't tense up.
6 - don't lean on your hands - keep them neutral on your elbows "loose" (think flap them like a bird.. if you can't - they're too tight.)

And all the hints on it being a nerve problem are also good - mine is often a problem in the AM - not later in the day. Must be a compressed nerve somewhere..

Back