• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, who knows Motorsports?

that correct on the valve covers, as kermit says they pass the sizzle test, you can lay your hand on a stock cover for a couple of seconds, but don't try with the cc covers.

Motorsport Stripes

Somewhere I have the paint code and I can use the Glasuit site to compare it to Police White. I once did the reasearch as I was going to paint my 2002tii "Motorsport" colors.

EDIT:

Just found it. The paint codes I got from BMW were:
Motorsport White 083
RennsportRot 133
Hellblau 114
Dunkelblau 115

So that makes it "Police White", as that's the same paint code.

Resurrecting an old thread to confirm paint codes from you "Motorsport" fanatics (and you know who you are). I have a new white Shoei Multitec on order, and I'm thinking of having a little three-color Motorsports accent striping done on it.

Are these the correct Glasurit paint codes for the Motorsport stripes?

Thanks.

I dare to say there never was an official R100S "Motorsport" edition. They were all RS models. The white R100S is a "final edition" R100S. The Motorcycle Hall Of Fame Museum in Pickerington, OH has one.

Uh-oh .... :lurk

There is some marginally authoritative disagreement here. I suspect that BMW may have painted up a few Ss a lot like the RSs just to see. All they had to do was stripe an S fairing - which saved them all the bother of striping an RS fairing.

Whoa! I didn't mean to start a "Motorsport" debate here. I just wanted to confirm the official BMW Motorsport paint codes, which I think should be the same for the motorcycles and the cars. :whistle

Whoa! I didn't mean to start a "Motorsport" debate here. I just wanted to confirm the official BMW Motorsport paint codes, which I think should be the same for the motorcycles and the cars. :whistle
The red, dark blue, and light blue would be the same. The nose panel is a different red (#133) according to this website. I can confirm that it is a more 'orangey' red than the stripes.

The debatable color would be the white, which is Polizeiwei?ƒ on the Motorsport but Chamonixwei?ƒ for contemporary cars and Alpinwei?ƒ I (of three) on later cars (like my '87). I think Polizei is a little 'creamier' off-white than the cars' white which is, itself, not as bright a white as on many other cars. Doesn't matter if you're just striping a white helmet, though ...

One source says the red stripe is 113, and another says the red stripe is 133 (one is probably a typo). They both agree on 114 and 115 for the light blue and dark blue. And your link says the Motorsport stripes are 113, 114, and 115 (how conveniently sequential!). I can see where the 133 red may be the (incorrect) more orangey red. "ROT" (113) vs. "RENNSPORTROT" (133).

Thanks.

I have '78 brochures in front of me as I write this. The white R100RS Motorsport is in a separate brochure "BMW Special Editions". Blue seat was part of the package. Nothing on a '78 Motorsport S model, although I have seen one--guy from Cincy club had one. I also have a letter from the factory stating that the number of the '78 RS Motorsport models worldwide was less than 700 and approximately 200 were imported into the U.S. I have a '78 RS Motorsport I bought from the dealer in Kokomo in '81. One little anomaly was that the front part of the seat pan had a compartment for a first aid kit. This reduced the padding on the part of the seat where I normally would sit. I removed the compartment and put in more foam padding.

As in R100 S or RS Motorsports.
beemers.jpg

Those are indeed Raask rearsets, mounted to a special backing plate. I know the guy who made the plate and have a couple of sets myself:

aaaarearsets.jpg

http://members.aol.com/JLadd10686/index.html

I have '78 brochures in front of me as I write this. The white R100RS Motorsport is in a separate brochure "BMW Special Editions". Blue seat was part of the package. Nothing on a '78 Motorsport S model, although I have seen one--guy from Cincy club had one. I also have a letter from the factory stating that the number of the '78 RS Motorsport models worldwide was less than 700 and approximately 200 were imported into the U.S. I have a '78 RS Motorsport I bought from the dealer in Kokomo in '81. One little anomaly was that the front part of the seat pan had a compartment for a first aid kit. This reduced the padding on the part of the seat where I normally would sit. I removed the compartment and put in more foam padding.

fwiw- my S model Motorsport came with the blue dual saddle, and first aid kit in the nose (my '78 Polezei RS also had the first aid kit).

1978 RS Motosport

Folks - I have one of these bikes (I love it!!!!) I would like to touch up a bit of the paint. I notice all the color discussions, however, where can I order small quantities? Any help would be most welcome. Mark

Also, I am looking for a 3/4 seat if anyone has one to sell.. Any condition, I can always repair it!!

Thanks again.

Folks - I have one of these bikes (I love it!!!!) I would like to touch up a bit of the paint. I notice all the color discussions, however, where can I order small quantities? Any help would be most welcome. Mark

Also, I am looking for a 3/4 seat if anyone has one to sell.. Any condition, I can always repair it!!

Thanks again.
A good automotive shop should be able to match it. I doubt that new factory paint would do as well, since it has faded slightly by now.

As for the seat, keep an eye on ebay. You can occasionally buy all the parts (the 'solo' cowl and the seat itself) either separately or together. The last solo cowl I saw sold was for over $300, though. I passed on a white covered one (with metallic brown cowl) sold in Spain when I found out shipping would have been about $250. :cry I would like to recover my original dual seat - that has the open box under the front - but where does one come up with the new blue cover?

I dare to say there never was an official R100S "Motorsport" edition. They were all RS models. The white R100S is a "final edition" R100S. The Motorcycle Hall Of Fame Museum in Pickerington, OH has one.

NO, the Last Editions were 1984s and didn't have the forks and ATE brakes shown in the photo.

Nor that engine front cover and air filter.

Nor that sidestand.

Nor model badges on the engine.

Nor an "S" designation--they were R100CS.

So I think I just found the 1977 R100SRS.
I'm located in the US and I believe 50 were shipped to our market.
my frame and engine number matches RS Vin # of this era. So I know it's RS with a S fairing and badges.
Does anyone have more info about these bikes?

20150713_180822.jpg

20150713_180813.jpg

Last edited:

My first BMW was an R100S "Touring" as described in this brochure. The dealership wrote R100ST in one of the manuals.

Put an S fairing on it and then put an RS fairing on it. Got the RS fairing from Capitol Cycle and it was painted 553 Dark Red Metallic, same as rest of bike. This meant gold pinstripes and was a combination never sold in USA. 6163019 IIRC. Traded in Dec '83 for the '84 Alaska Blue R100RS I rode for 25+ years.

my frame and engine number matches RS Vin # of this era. So I know it's RS with a S fairing and badges.

Are your pinstripes all blue or red and blue? Should be two shades of blue plus one red if original Motorsport

All R100 engines save I think for the '77-'78 R100/7 came with black valve covers.

The direct-to-the-gearbox shifter indicates a '77, as remote linkage began in '78.

Pretty sure the battery covers were originally unpainted matte black on these bikes.

Looks like doesn't have headlight on/off switch, something that started with '78 models.

View attachment 54143

View attachment 54144

that looks to be a '77 model, based on non-linkage shifter and wire wheels, and is NOT a Motorsport edition. Lack of black valve covers and painted rear fender are my immediate give-aways.And, pin-striping does not appear to be correct.. should be overlapping light blue, dark blue and red. The Motorsport model was 1978 only. 3 versions came in to the states: the S model, the RS model, and the SRS, which had the engine badged as an RS, but had the S fairing (thus, S-RS). The SRS was the least common of the 3. The total number shipped to the US market has always been "anyone's guess", as BMW never kept accurate records on those models- they were really just appearance packages; nothing special in the performance realm. 200 seems to be the most common guesstimate.
Looks to be a Corbin saddle on there as well. The stock saddle cover for the Motorsport was a deep blue.

R100srs

Hi I was talking with captin kid 1 in the photo section ,looking at the photo above I note a 1979 on type gearbox ribbed housing, also looks like an 1978 on speedo ,not sure about the rev counter,but I don,t think he has a bad bike, a lot of things can change over the years, the rocker covers seem to have been cleaned of black paint, showing the alloy,some people like it that way,also 1978 handlebar pad,does it have a lighting switch ?,if not again 1978,hope this assists Jimmy

Last edited:
My 1978 R100S Motorsport

Ok, If anybody still cares,
more data points to confuse the issue.
I own and ride a 1978 R100S Motorsport, that I believe to be all original, here are some specifics..
VIN 606xxxx, appears to be June 1978 build, Euro spec.
Pearl white paint, tri color pinstripes.
Kickstarter
Rear disk brake.
On/Off headlight switch.
Blue seat with first aid kit in the nose.
38 mm headpipes/exaust........not 40mm
Black rear fender, not white.
Snowflakes, not wire spokes.
Black paint removed from my rocker covers.
S engine badge and seat cowl badge.
Battery/side covers, pearl white with R100s decals.

I really would have expected 40mm exausts...huh?

And in my own opinion...those "SRS" variants......were simply RS models on the assembly line, and changed last minute to an S model/fairing
and the engine badge did not get changed.
And for what it is worth...I think of the 200 motorsports imported, 25 were S models.
Happy to compare notes....ask away..
Bob...in Vermont

Back