• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, who knows Motorsports?

D

dlearl476

As in R100 S or RS Motorsports.
beemers.jpg

Here are a couple of brochures of the time...they only mention the RS...

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p1.jpg
http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p4.jpg

The BMW book on the "Boxers 1969 to 1985" mentions the R100RS coming off the assembly line in the summer of 1979. It also says that the relatively unknown S model came out as well, treated to the same color scheme but did not have the red edge around the headlight like the RS did.

Ian Falloon's book indicates that about 200 RS were built. It was available with matching white Krauser saddlebags and many came with the dark blue upholstery...maybe some did not. The only information about the S model was that it was mysterious model sometimes referred to as the R100SRS as it was marketed in the United Kingdom where most were sold. No info on the numbers produced. It came with the same motor as in the RS.

I'd also read from Tom Cutter that the bikes were original ordered by an Austrian importer but later canceled. Butler and Smith agreed to take the bikes and distribute them to dealers.

Interesting. Head (or at least the valve cover), frame and peg / control configuration are unusual. Is it yours?

The valve cover was an aftermarket product (San Jose??) that was supposed to add cooling fins (I'm guessing). To my eye, it just adds bulkiness. Those do look like rearsets of some type...

release year of 1978. Much folklore around these models, most of it inaccurate, or just unverified rumor. BMW never released much info on them- and the differences from any other models of that era were purely cosmetic. The only other model from that time that has more "mystery" surrounding it was the "Belgian Police" RS model- which was neither Belgian nor a police spec'd bike- but was pretty sharp.
There were actually several variations of the pearl white Motosport- the "regular" R100S models (engine badged as "R100S"), the R100RS model (distinctive orange center panel on the fairing), and the "R100SRS" model (S fairing, with a RS badged motor). This last seemed to be the least common variant.
Some of the RS badged motors (in either S or RS fairing trim) apparently came thru with the 40mm Euro-spec'd exhaust.
Blue seat was standard on either the single or dual saddle.
And it was the "Motosport", not "Motorsports".
Supposedly, 200 of each variation were brought into the US, but that is not a verifiable number. I know I saw very few of them at any one time, even when they were a fairly recent model.
And yes, those are somebody's aftermarket rearsets. I've got some Raask's from that time period- and those aren't Raask's. Also- has Telefix fork brace, chrome luggage rail and lift handle (stock was black), rubber gaiters (stock was just the slip over "caps"), aftermarket bar end mirrors, dark windshield, and what looks to be Progressive Suspension shocks.

Here are a couple of brochures of the time...they only mention the RS...

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p1.jpg
http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p4.jpg

The BMW book on the "Boxers 1969 to 1985" mentions the R100RS coming off the assembly line in the summer of 1979. It also says that the relatively unknown S model came out as well, treated to the same color scheme but did not have the red edge around the headlight like the RS did.

Ian Falloon's book indicates that about 200 RS were built. It was available with matching white Krauser saddlebags and many came with the dark blue upholstery...maybe some did not. The only information about the S model was that it was mysterious model sometimes referred to as the R100SRS as it was marketed in the United Kingdom where most were sold. No info on the numbers produced. It came with the same motor as in the RS.

I'd also read from Tom Cutter that the bikes were original ordered by an Austrian importer but later canceled. Butler and Smith agreed to take the bikes and distribute them to dealers.

That's very similar to the information I'm trying to verify, minus the Austrian Importer stuff and the model year. According to my information, the RS was released in '78 with the 70 hp engine and I've been made aware of a bike that was supposedly one of twenty-five R100-RS Motosports special ordered by Butler and Smith with S fairings.
Engine badged "R100 RS"
Blue Seat
S fairing
Motosport paint scheme.

Anyway, thanks for all the info, keep it coming. Someday I'm hoping to find a copy of some actual paperwork from Butler and Smith re: these bikes.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't found it in all my "surfing". It raises another question: at which point was the R 100 S "Sport" re-badged the R 100 CS (classic sport)? That's what every "red smoke" R 100 I've ever seen was badged. I don't think I've ever seen one badged "R 100 S".

Oh, and I have no info on the bike pictured, I found it on the internet. According to a friend, it has Krauser heads.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't found it in all my "surfing". It raises another question: at which point was the R 100 S "Sport" re-badged the R 100 CS (classic sport)? That's what every "red smoke" R 100 I've ever seen was badged. I don't think I've ever seen one badged "R 100 S".

QUOTE]

the Red Smoke was originally available in '77 and '78. I believe that the CS (Classic S) was a 1984 release.

Oh, and I have no info on the bike pictured, I found it on the internet. According to a friend, it has Krauser heads.

Don't think you can tell that by looking at the valve cover. The krauser was a 4-valve head, but I don't recall if it was also a dual plugged or not. I've got paperwork on those at home- will take a look later tonite.

I'll step aside on the spelling, and let Misters Butler & Smith take lead on that one. I had always known it as Motosport. :dunno Prove me wrong again. Probably not the last time, certainly not the first. Dang.:confused:

didn't they also have a blue stripe on the wheels?

I don't know. The only blue striped wheels I'm aware of are the original RS's in Silver Blue (paint code 530), which I'm not sure if any of these '77's ever made it to the US. AFAIK all the RS's here had "snowflake" wheels.

1977%20R100RS%20F%20Mudguard.JPG

Don't think you can tell that by looking at the valve cover. The krauser was a 4-valve head, but I don't recall if it was also a dual plugged or not. I've got paperwork on those at home- will take a look later tonite.
Perhaps that picture was a poor example. It's obviously been modified, but a lot of the details are incongruous with other info I've read. The snowflake wheels would lead me to believe it was '78<, yet according to most sources R 100 S' were not painted motorsport's colors, yet the bike is badged R100S.
Problem is, I have yet to find a BMW brochure with a R 100RS w/ S fairing, and probably won't.

Prove me wrong again. Probably not the last time, certainly not the first. Dang.:confused:

Yeah me too. Same with those early "Red Smoke" R 100S', and pre '78 RS'. I didn't know they existed until now.

Part of what delving into the "legend" of the legendary motorcycles of Germany" is all about. :thumb

And most '77 RS models that I've seen had the spoked wheels. Interestingly, either variation (laced or mag) had a drum in the rear, whereas the '78 Snowflakes were (typically) disc.
The Motosport was ONLY a '78 release.

motos have basically a 77 engine, 40mm headers , standard pistons, kickstarter, 11/32 final drive and were listed as 78 model year. 78 r100rs(non-moto) had 38mm headers, hemi pistons(only model) ,no kicker, 11-29 final(only model)both models were about dead even, a moto could take it from the line , but given enough room and super leaded for the high compression pistons the tall final drive made it feel like it had a six speed, (personal test done in 1984, after the first run we swapped bikes and did in the other direction, same results)

Well, there is some information here.

First, folks, it is 'Motorsport' as in the then-current name of the racing division, "BMW Motorsport" (later changed to "M"). Not 'Motosport'; not plural. The rare BMW 'Special Editions' sales brochure depicting the bike [The site is a treasure for /7 and later Airhead fans, BTW.] clearly says this. So does BMW's ETK, for the prepainted body parts. Run my VIN at RealOEM and see for yourself.

From the first site above and a few other scattered sources, I conclude that there were supposed to be 200 Motorsport models delivered in the US. Their VINs were all '618xxxx' numbers and they did not have kickstarters. At least none of them that I've come across do, and the one pictured on the brochure doesn't have one (or you'd see it between the side cover and the fairing - see below). None seem to have had white bags as mine does. The bike on the brochure has black side covers while all I have seen were white. They were supposed to have blue seats as mine does, and the few unmolested originals you see do have them. It does seem to have been a purely cosmetic package, so all other items were standard '78 RS equipment. Dual horns, snowflake alloys, rear disk brake, etc.

The one I have (my avatar and attached picture below) is a European Motorsport Edition. Information on this one is even spottier. Maybe 150 of them built for the European market. There is at least one other in the US; maybe two. VINs are '608xxxx' and '609xxxx' numbers and mine was built during what seems to be nearly the highest month ever for R100RS boxer production: January of 1978. Based on its particular number (6088534), I think it was built around January 7; maybe a savvy parts guy can verify this. You'll notice that it has no front fork reflectors, the white Krauser bags (and little doubt they are original to the bike), a kickstarter, a light switch (including OFF), and of course, a metric speedo/odo set. It has a foggy past that ended in 1991 when I helped the PO get it titled in Akron, Ohio, from whom I got it. Aside from the kickstarter, I have no idea whether there are any other mechanical differences from other RSs.

While it's kind of intimidating for an Airhead Noob?® like me, seeing all the misinformation in this thread makes me think I may be the authority here. More likely, though, I'm just paying more attention since I have one.

578895_51_full.jpg

Oh; a couple more things. First, this information applies to only the original 1978 Motorsport, not the later ones. It does not have any stripes on the wheels and it is not pearl white; it's just plain (off-)white. I'm still trying to find out if this is Alpinwei?ƒ as on BMW cars or Polizeiwei?ƒ as on the police bikes. It originally had white mudflaps that hardened and fell off (I have the pieces.).

Last edited:
Good collection of info. I was big into it when I had the bike operative, but kinda fell away from it over the intervening years. Purchased 7/21/80 from original owner, crashed out from under me approx 9/30/80.
VIN 6067.... Where did you find the info on VINs being 618...?

well, according to that chart, my US spec'd Motorsport was a Euro release model. Gives a touch of credibility to that "Austrian production" rumor. Hmmm:scratch

Back