Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, who knows Motorsports?

dlearl476

OK, who knows Motorsports?

As in R100 S or RS Motorsports.

Here are a couple of brochures of the time...they only mention the RS...

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p1.jpg
    http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p4.jpg

The BMW book on the "Boxers 1969 to 1985" mentions the R100RS coming off the assembly line in the summer of 1979. It also says that the relatively unknown S model came out as well, treated to the same color scheme but did not have the red edge around the headlight like the RS did.

Ian Falloon's book indicates that about 200 RS were built. It was available with matching white Krauser saddlebags and many came with the dark blue upholstery...maybe some did not. The only information about the S model was that it was mysterious model sometimes referred to as the R100SRS as it was marketed in the United Kingdom where most were sold. No info on the numbers produced. It came with the same motor as in the RS.

I'd also read from Tom Cutter that the bikes were original ordered by an Austrian importer but later canceled. Butler and Smith agreed to take the bikes and distribute them to dealers.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

sumran
    Interesting. Head (or at least the valve cover), frame and peg / control configuration are unusual. Is it yours?

The valve cover was an aftermarket product (San Jose??) that was supposed to add cooling fins (I'm guessing). To my eye, it just adds bulkiness. Those do look like rearsets of some type...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

release year of 1978. Much folklore around these models, most of it inaccurate, or just unverified rumor. BMW never released much info on them- and the differences from any other models of that era were purely cosmetic. The only other model from that time that has more "mystery" surrounding it was the "Belgian Police" RS model- which was neither Belgian nor a police spec'd bike- but was pretty sharp.
    There were actually several variations of the pearl white Motosport- the "regular" R100S models (engine badged as "R100S"), the R100RS model (distinctive orange center panel on the fairing), and the "R100SRS" model (S fairing, with a RS badged motor). This last seemed to be the least common variant.
    Some of the RS badged motors (in either S or RS fairing trim) apparently came thru with the 40mm Euro-spec'd exhaust.
    Blue seat was standard on either the single or dual saddle.
    And it was the "Motosport", not "Motorsports".
    Supposedly, 200 of each variation were brought into the US, but that is not a verifiable number. I know I saw very few of them at any one time, even when they were a fairly recent model.
    And yes, those are somebody's aftermarket rearsets. I've got some Raask's from that time period- and those aren't Raask's. Also- has Telefix fork brace, chrome luggage rail and lift handle (stock was black), rubber gaiters (stock was just the slip over "caps"), aftermarket bar end mirrors, dark windshield, and what looks to be Progressive Suspension shocks.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

And the horns on backwards.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Here are a couple of brochures of the time...they only mention the RS...

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p1.jpg

The BMW book on the "Boxers 1969 to 1985" mentions the R100RS coming off the assembly line in the summer of 1979. It also says that the relatively unknown S model came out as well, treated to the same color scheme but did not have the red edge around the headlight like the RS did.

Ian Falloon's book indicates that about 200 RS were built. It was available with matching white Krauser saddlebags and many came with the dark blue upholstery...maybe some did not. The only information about the S model was that it was mysterious model sometimes referred to as the R100SRS as it was marketed in the United Kingdom where most were sold. No info on the numbers produced. It came with the same motor as in the RS.

I'd also read from Tom Cutter that the bikes were original ordered by an Austrian importer but later canceled. Butler and Smith agreed to take the bikes and distribute them to dealers.
    That's very similar to the information I'm trying to verify, minus the Austrian Importer stuff and the model year. According to my information, the RS was released in '78 with the 70 hp engine and I've been made aware of a bike that was supposedly one of twenty-five R100-RS Motosports special ordered by Butler and Smith with S fairings.
    Engine badged "R100 RS"
    Blue Seat
    S fairing
    Motosport paint scheme.

Anyway, thanks for all the info, keep it coming. Someday I'm hoping to find a copy of some actual paperwork from Butler and Smith re: these bikes.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't found it in all my "surfing". It raises another question: at which point was the R 100 S "Sport" re-badged the R 100 CS (classic sport)? That's what every "red smoke" R 100 I've ever seen was badged. I don't think I've ever seen one badged "R 100 S".

Oh, and I have no info on the bike pictured, I found it on the internet. According to a friend, it has Krauser heads.

wheels

didn't they also have a blue stripe on the wheels?
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    And it was the "Motosport", not "Motorsports".

Butler and Smith beg to differ:

Quote Originally Posted by jshuck View Post
    blue stripe on spoke wheels only on the '77 RS.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

[QUOTE=dlearl476;246746]

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't found it in all my "surfing". It raises another question: at which point was the R 100 S "Sport" re-badged the R 100 CS (classic sport)? That's what every "red smoke" R 100 I've ever seen was badged. I don't think I've ever seen one badged "R 100 S".

QUOTE]

the Red Smoke was originally available in '77 and '78. I believe that the CS (Classic S) was a 1984 release.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post

Oh, and I have no info on the bike pictured, I found it on the internet. According to a friend, it has Krauser heads.
    Don't think you can tell that by looking at the valve cover. The krauser was a 4-valve head, but I don't recall if it was also a dual plugged or not. I've got paperwork on those at home- will take a look later tonite.

I'll step aside on the spelling, and let Misters Butler & Smith take lead on that one. I had always known it as Motosport. Prove me wrong again. Probably not the last time, certainly not the first. Dang.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by jshuck View Post
    I don't know. The only blue striped wheels I'm aware of are the original RS's in Silver Blue (paint code 530), which I'm not sure if any of these '77's ever made it to the US. AFAIK all the RS's here had "snowflake" wheels.

dlearl476
    Don't think you can tell that by looking at the valve cover. The krauser was a 4-valve head, but I don't recall if it was also a dual plugged or not. I've got paperwork on those at home- will take a look later tonite.
    Perhaps that picture was a poor example. It's obviously been modified, but a lot of the details are incongruous with other info I've read. The snowflake wheels would lead me to believe it was '78<, yet according to most sources R 100 S' were not painted motorsport's colors, yet the bike is badged R100S.
    Problem is, I have yet to find a BMW brochure with a R 100RS w/ S fairing, and probably won't.

Prove me wrong again. Probably not the last time, certainly not the first. Dang.
    Yeah me too. Same with those early "Red Smoke" R 100S', and pre '78 RS'. I didn't know they existed until now.

Part of what delving into the "legend" of the legendary motorcycles of Germany" is all about.

And most '77 RS models that I've seen had the spoked wheels. Interestingly, either variation (laced or mag) had a drum in the rear, whereas the '78 Snowflakes were (typically) disc.
    The Motosport was ONLY a '78 release.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots