• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking For Autumn Along the Peak to Peak Highway

sfarson

This is a Scenic Byway in Colorado some of you may be familiar with. It departs south out of Estes Park at Rocky Mountain National Park, running parallel to spurs of the Continental Divide.

Decided yesterday to see how it looked before more forecasted snow would fall last night. Autumn has mostly left the stage up high but maybe I'd find places where it still had some lines to deliver.

Pausing about five miles north of Nederland. 2-3 weeks ago the Aspen here would have been a stunning gold. The Indian Peaks peer over the ridge...
r1200rtnederland.jpg

OK, going further north the RT pauses above Peaceful Valley. Can see a smattering of gold here and there, also a few trees that have let go of their gold coins. That's Sawtooth Peak in the distance. Once descended this road at a merry old speed on a January 1st, marveling in the cold but dry conditions, and was greeted with sheets of ice in the shade on the road. Yikes! Smooooothly slowed down, but still remember the pucker moment!
r1200rtpeacefulvalley.jpg

Near Allenspark there's a pause at the sentinel of Rocky Mountain National Park... 14,256ft. Long's Peak. The knob just to the front of it is Mt. Meeker.... upper right of the pic. Still, only a hint of autumn's presence remains. Still searching...
r1200rtallenspark.jpg

Success! I fly pass a curve and dip in the road, look to the left, and behold... autumn colors at Wild Basin in the southern part of RMNP. A U-turn is made...
r1200rtwildbasin.jpg

So just a focus on the beauty of autumn, the beauty of seasons. As I'm parked taking pics, others pass by wondering what I'm taking pics of and soon others are turning around, parking along the road, taking IMGs as well. It's a pretty place, delivered by the RT.
wildbasin.jpg

Last edited:
My wife and I have spent a good deal of time in the Rocky Mountain Natl Park area...we actually got married in Lower Beaver Meadow. You are right it is absolutely beautiful!
Just wanted to say thanks for the pics.....got my day off to a better start!
When I close my eyes and go to my "happy place" Colorado is where I am.....:thumb

Peak to Peak

Thanks, Steve. Nice to have a nice warm RT to ride at this time of year.

Our snowline has worked down to about the 6,000 foot level now.

Rinty

Thanks, Steve. Nice to have a nice warm RT to ride at this time of year.

Our snowline has worked down to about the 6,000 foot level now.

Rinty

Yes it is! And I've become a believer in heated seats. Never thought I'd have much use for it since my rear seems rather toasty anyway most days in the saddle :laugh, but when trying it out last winter on a 28 degree day.... Ahhhhh!

Those Aspens turn a great color! Nice pictures.

Are the last two pictures the same scene with different lenses?

The second image I looked down and changed the focus to capture the creek, but the lens are unchanged.

My wife and I have spent a good deal of time in the Rocky Mountain Natl Park area...we actually got married in Lower Beaver Meadow. You are right it is absolutely beautiful!
Just wanted to say thanks for the pics.....got my day off to a better start!
When I close my eyes and go to my "happy place" Colorado is where I am.....:thumb

BuckeyeClark... Thx, You were married in a very beautiful place. Last summer I rode Trail Ridge through the park and had not done so for years prior. I was moved by and reminded what a jewel this park is. In case interest, turned on the video camera on the ride through the park... A Ride Through Rocky Mountain National Park - Streaming Video

Beautiful pictures! I also enjoyed the video, very well done and some obvious effort put into editing. Well done! :thumb

Super great photos, super nice bike. I hail from Carbondale (no stranger to scenic views) and your's are the best.

The Peak-to-Peak is truly one of the great highways.

Thanks for sharing your shots.

Super great photos, super nice bike. I hail from Carbondale (no stranger to scenic views) and your's are the best.

Thanks all, and BobbieZ... yes that is a scenic place! Mt. Sopris always has me gazing at it when passing.

Very nice

Thanks for posting those photos. And the heated seat sounds great. See any wildlife while you're riding along? I suppose a lot of deer and elk movement this time of year.

:clap

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Back