• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttle tension spring

Dogface

Well, I didn't buy the R100/7 after all...but thanks for all the input on the brake question of a few weeks ago.

I did find a really nice R75/5 ('73 vintage) and picked it up about two days ago. I find now when riding that the throttle tension is way too strong for comfort when riding...even for short rides. Is there a way to lessen the tension on that spring or replace it with a weaker spring? I know there are certain 'cruise control' threaded devices...my stock one is missing...but I'm not sure if they work as well as just an weaker spring.

Color me old and weak :whistle

Well, the "cruise control" screw can be had at a BMW dealer for about $10. It's nice for being able to relax your right hand a bit when cruising. I don't know about the spring though...
Ray

Anthony Heyman sells them also. You can find info on the Airhead site or in Airmail. $11 and worth every cent.

Check this too;

Be sure to check your cables for free movement, by simply taking them off at the carb ends and working the throttle. The newer cables are tefloned inside for better operation. NO lube required these type cables either. The early /5's were still old school cable tech.. Springs? Yes, I have stretched mine, but found it a tedious task and went back to my standard ones. If you make the attempt to stretch them, have a few extras ready, because the process is likely to ruin some getting it right. The throttle body at the handlebar end is also a service lube point to consider. Its a gear driven unit inside at the grip end and internally. These get old and need replacement every few years, I've found in my slash bike. Even with lubing, they are soft metal parts and wear. Its always the grip end that I have to replace at about 5-7 years+ or -...The gear inside with a little chain attached, inside the throttle housing seems to hold up fine. :thumb

Back