New BMW dealer in Indianapolis

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/710060433

Inidianapolis Star
    October 6, 2007

2-wheel Beemer coming to town
    Near-Westside Saab dealer lands high-end BMW motorcycle dealership

By Jeff Swiatek
    October 6, 2007

BMW Motorcycles will get its name on an Indianapolis dealership for the first time since 1999.

Bob Falcone, who owns Indy Saab on the Near Westside, has landed the rights to open a dealership for the high-end German motorcycle brand by the end of March.

He will spend $750,000 to build a 10,000- square-foot motorcycle showroom and service shop next to his Saab auto dealership at 2416 W. 16th St.

"I'm very happy. It's huge for me," Falcone said of getting the BMW Motorcycle dealership. "It'll double my operating income for the overall (motorcycle) business."

Falcone currently sells Victory and Triumph motorcycles at the 16th Street site. His new building will include a combined repair shop for all three motorcycle lines, while containing a separate showroom for BMW bikes.

Falcone thinks the new dealership will quickly achieve sales of 150 to 200 BMW motorcycles a year. That would top his sales of about 130 units a year of British-made Triumph motorcycles. He began selling the Triumph and Victory brands in 2004.

Motorcycles have become more popular among drivers of late thanks to rising gas prices, he said.

While BMW is the most popular motorcycle in Europe, it doesn't crack the Top 5 in the United States, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council.
    BMW, whose U.S. motorcycle business is based in New Jersey, identified Indianapolis as a market where it needed a dealership and went through "an intense candidate search" before selecting Falcone, said BMW Motorcycles spokesman Oleg Satanovsky.

BMW wanted a dealer with experience, a good business plan and the ability to generate sales and provide repair service that BMW customers expect, Satanovsky said, adding "Bob was that person."

BMW has sold motorcycles since 1923 and now offers 18 sport and touring models ranging in price from $7,575 to $22,245. Falcone said he will stock them all.

The only other BMW motorcycle dealership in Indiana is in Fort Wayne.

BMW becomes the second foreign motorcycle company to award an Indianapolis dealership this year. A dedicated dealership for Italian-made Ducati motorcycles opened last week near Zionsville.

Falcone, who also owns Saab of Fishers, said he is the seventh-largest Saab dealer in the U.S.

He got his start in the auto business working at a gas station at age 16. Three years later, he took a job at a dealership. In 1990, he bought half ownership in Indy Saab. He bought the other half in 1998.

But will be be able to repair and service airheads and slash-2s?
    Last edited by bmwdean; 10-07-2007 at 01:27 AM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    So my closest dealer is now 2 hours away
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

larrydk

road trip

I live in the near west suburbs of Chicago. To get to Chicago BMW can litterally take hours, Indy my be nearer (time wise)...road trip

new indy dealer

that should make Pop happy... It's on the same side of town that his dealership was too....West Washington St. Who's Pop you ask...?? Pop Dryer.
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

Rally Rat
    i purchased my very first street bike from pop dreyer...

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...page.asp?id=63

owrstrich

Quote Originally Posted by jshuck View Post
    that should make Pop happy... It's on the same side of town that his dealership was too....West Washington St. Who's Pop you ask...?? Pop Dryer.
    The dealership is still there - still Dryer Motorsports. Oldest Honda dealer in the US, also Kawasaki, Yahama and maybe some other stuff. Bought a new helmet there a month ago.

John

Wow, neat story about "Pop Dreyer"...thanks for sharing!

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by owrstrich View Post
    i purchased my very first street bike from pop dreyer...

owrstrich
    My first BMW rally was at Dreyer's farm in Mt. Meridian in about 1972. He liked to give the girls a flying ride in the sidecar rig on his track.
    Once at the same rally in Brown County State Park, he grounded his side stand in the asphalt on a right hand curve. He later explained that he had a side stand on both sides of the bike. I used to see him in his corner of the shop at the dealership bending things and welding stuff. Remember the Dreyer fairing? Basically a barn door mounted on the frame with an oval hole for the headlight to swing in and an oval cover that moved with the headlight to block the wind.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

This is great news!

One note though (not to be picky...)

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/710060433

Inidianapolis Star
    October 6, 2007

2-wheel Beemer coming to town
    Near-Westside Saab dealer lands high-end BMW motorcycle dealership

By Jeff Swiatek
    October 6, 2007

BMW Motorcycles will get its name on an Indianapolis dealership for the first time since 1999.

[/i]

Revard had a dealership on the north side up until just a few years ago. They closed up when? 2005? 2004? Somewhere in there.

And will they fix my old, dear K Bike?
    Godzilla!
    '85 K100 "ZoomZoomZoom"
    '71 R75/5 "Zippy"

Talking

If Falcone thinks he can sell 150-200 new BMWs a year then I've got some prime mountain property in central Illinois I'll sell him for his new vacation home!
    Chuck Manley
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    If Falcone thinks he can sell 150-200 new BMWs a year then I've got some prime mountain property in central Illinois I'll sell him for his new vacation home!
    Har, har, har.
    Marilyn Roberts
    R nineT, R1200R, R100 Mystic