• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

90's R100RS?

MarkF

Correct me if I'm wrong here. The R100RS was discontinued before the last generation of airheads in the 90's. I saw a few R100RS bikes at the Int'l Rally in Trenton, Ont. I think one was converted to a R100RS from a 90's R100R and the other started as a R100 Mystic. I think I even saw one somewhere else that started life as a R100R Classic. Does anyone have pics of these bikes? I lost mine with a computer failure months ago. I wonder how difficult it is to add all the RS fairing parts to a naked airhead.

MarkF

The RS was "reintroduced" in 1988. I think they sold them in the U.S. until somewhere between 1992 and 1995.

The picture widebmw posted is what they look like.

The fairing pieces alone will set you back $500-$750 for used ones. Then, you'll need headlight mount, handlebars, brake lines, and control cables. Maybe some other stuff, too.

Except for the upper fairing/windscreen and handlebars, the R100RS and R100RT are identical since 1988.

R100RS said:
The RS was "reintroduced" in 1988. I think they sold them in the U.S. until somewhere between 1992 and 1995.

Except for the upper fairing/windscreen and handlebars, the R100RS and R100RT are identical since 1988.

Do they share the same motor, tranny, brakes as the 88-95 R100R?

MarkF

MarkF said:

MarkF

The R100R was from 1992 - 1995 it had a paralever. Like the GS.
The last years of the R100RS was a monolever.

MarkF said:

MarkF
Without checking part numbers, I'm pretty sure they do. Like widebmw said, the driveshaft and final drive will be different.

None of that really matters if you just want to mount the fairing and handlebars. You'll just need longer brake hose and control cables.

widebmw said:
The R100R was from 1992 - 1995 it had a paralever. Like the GS.
The last years of the R100RS was a monolever.

Thats what I thought. Reason enough to do a convert of a newer bike instead of buying a used RS. I think the Paralever from the last airheads was better than the oilhead version or the old Monolever.

MarkF

MarkF said:
I think the Paralever from the last airheads was better than the oilhead version or the old Monolever.
There are some serious, well documented, reliability issues with the airhead paralever.

R100RS said:
There are some serious, well documented, reliability issues with the airhead paralever.

I thought those were mostly confined to the GS's with their more extreme driveline angle and the kind of "abuse" those machines often take.

I'll go back through my AirMail and see what I can find. My understanding was that while the GS had a greater failure rate, the problems are not unique to the GS.

The R100R has the paralever problem also.
I replace my driveshaft about every 40,000-50,000 miles.

Back