• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new fuel filter now no run

S

smilinrider

hi everyone...

i am a new member..first time on this forum

hope someone can help.

i just installed a new fuel filter and spark plugs. in my 1985 k100rt...and now all she'll do is idle poorly..if i try to give it any throttle, it dies...same with the choke.

any help would be appreciated

thanx

smilin rider

Go back where you were.

Fuel filter - check that the clamps are tight and the hoses not twisted/crimped.

Spark plugs - check that the wires are on the correct spark plugs. Make sure all wires are firmly seated on the plugs.

new fuel filter

thanx for reply

i went back in and disconnected outlet side of filter...ran starter....plenty of fuel pressure....checked fuel at injector side..fuel gets there...plug wires are hard to mess up...all seated good...i hear a tick at fuel injectors..sounds like spark plug arcing out.... but no sparks anywhere...could wires to injectors be shorting out?

hi everyone...

i am a new member..first time on this forum

hope someone can help.

i just installed a new fuel filter and spark plugs. in my 1985 k100rt...and now all she'll do is idle poorly..if i try to give it any throttle, it dies...same with the choke.

any help would be appreciated

thanx

smilin rider

Any chance you pulled the air intake from the air flow meter off the intake box to the throttle bodies? It's not really related to the area you say you worked on, but the symptoms are similar.

Jack's Reply

Jack H. wrote: possible disconnect of the air mass sensor.

Jack, where exactly are you saying the disconnect might be? In the airbox?
or down at the throttle body area?

I have the same symptoms on my K75. Maybe you can help both of us out with a more detailed way to check this out.

Mike Hankinson Hudsonville MI

Jack H. wrote: possible disconnect of the air mass sensor.

Jack, where exactly are you saying the disconnect might be? In the airbox?
or down at the throttle body area?

I have the same symptoms on my K75. Maybe you can help both of us out with a more detailed way to check this out.

Sometimes if you have a backfire or maybe it is just loose, the big rubber tube from the air flow meter comes off. It goes from the air filter box under the backbone to the throttle body air intake (where it can come off). I suppose it could also get rotted and have a big hole in it too. If you don't draw all your air thru the air filter box (and air flow meter), then the bike will start and idle but die when you try to give it some throttle.

IF all the other suggestions do not solve the problem... The BMW Dealer in Grand Rapids, Michigan tells me that they have had many cases where a fuel filter has been replaced and then the bike runs poorly, if at all (K & Oilheads). Turns out that quite often the act of pulling off the filter from old fuel hoses causes a hairline split in one of them, resulting in rough running.

In my case, on a K12LT, the situation was slightly different. After doing the 50,000 mile maintenance, the bike ran rough, quit, and would no longer start. Turns out I tried one too many times to use those squeeze-type fuel clamps on the filter without the proper tool...I used an ordinary pair of pliers because did not want to fork out the money for an expensive crimping tool only to use it a couple of times. I currently have one whole tool chest drawer full of these specialized tools accumulated over the years. Well, the ineffective crimp allowed the hose to pop off. After the renewed fun to R&R all the tupperware on the KLT in order to remove the tank, I purchased the screw-type SS clamps from the dealer. Tedious!

If you find it to be the internal tank fuel lines make sure you replace with fuel submersible fuel line...either BMW replacement or SAE 30R10, 5/16 fuel injection rated fuel line (100 PSI) from Gates or NAPA P/N H209 ($20.00/FT). Otherwise the line will slowly deteriate in the fuel once submerged.:(

Last edited:
K75 Up & Running

Jack and all, I went back and rechecked the hose at the front of the airbox and found I had a bad seal at the end of the hose that connects to the throttle body area. The hose seems good but when I resealed it around the opening and put the clamp back on tight the bike fires right up. Thanks again for sending me back to the obvious. Now note to self, never buy a faired bike again. All that plastic is a pain in the butt to put back in place. For the K100 owner, check that hose at the front of the air box for both end clamps to insure it is sealed properly. Hope your bike is up and running soon.

If you find it to be the internal tank fuel lines make sure you replace with fuel submersible fuel line...either BMW replacement or SAE 30R10, 5/16 fuel injection rated fuel line (100 PSI) from Gates or NAPA P/N H209 ($20.00/FT). Otherwise the line will slowly deteriate in the fuel once submerged.:(

Be careful what they sell you. It needs to have the SAE rating on it. The kid in the shop at my so-called BMW dealer told me the transmission cooler hose they put in the tank was fine. Gates number for SAE 30R10 5/16 is 27093.

New fuel pump,new filter,87 k100 won't start

I am hoping someone can can give a clue of what to do . The closest dealer is in Mpls
Minn. does any one have any suggestions ? Is there any one closer who can get this baby started and running ? I live near Eau Claire Wi. Pat L

Fuel who

So It won't go..:banghead

go back into the tank take that filter and check it for the:brad flow. then recheck the fuel reg vacum hose , then check the Air valve as stated ,by mike's Good words:thumb

:fight Jack and all, I went back and rechecked the hose at the front of the airbox and found I had a bad seal at the end of the hose that connects to the throttle body area. The hose seems good but when I resealed it around the opening and put the clamp back on tight the bike fires right up. Thanks again for sending me back to the obvious. Now note to self, never buy a faired bike again. All that plastic is a pain in the butt to put back in place. For the K100 owner, check that hose at the front of the air box for both end clamps to insure it is sealed properly. Hope your bike is up and running soon.

parts tip#12
Fram G2 filter plastic clear work very well and it cost 1.50us..:thumb The proper hose clamps are included:wave

Mike Richard
126360 Loonie-Tic
K75RT:wow

Back