• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally Routes

I-84 to Boise.

Highway 21 to Idaho City. From Idaho City to Lowman it gets a bit twisty. Lowman over 7200 ft Banner Summit to Stanley. Left on Highway 75 to Highway 93 to Salmon over Lost Trail summit at 7000 feet north to Lolo, MT, Head west on Highway 12 and the famous "Curves next 77 miles" road. Highway 12 will take you into Lewiston. 95 north on the Idaho side to Coeur d' Alene, i-90 into Spokane. Or 195 north right into Spokane.

For those is a hurry, leave Boise on Highway 55 through Horseshoe Bend, McCall, New Meadows where you connect with Highway 95 through the Riggins canyon. When you reach White Bird, you have two options, Up the highway hugging the side of the hills, or through the town of Whitebird and up the old highway with its 78 hairpin turns in just a couple of miles. This was the original roadway until the early 80s. It reminds me a lot of the switchback roads of Europe. You connect back up with Highway 95 at the top of the hill. When you reach Grangeville, head into town and take Highway 13 into Kooskie. Another wonderful twisty road. Be cautious on the early part of 13. The road is old and the center is higher than the outer edges. You will grind off metal if you are going through the left handers at a high rate of speed. Head west on Highway 12, yes the same one that comes down from Lolo. This route follows a river into Lewiston. It helps keep the temps down a few degrees over the direct Grangeville to Lewiston route.

Keep in mind that much of southern Idaho is high desert. It will be cool in the mornings, and can reach 100+ in the afternoons. Carry plenty of water. The road out of Riggins runs next to the river in the bottom of a canyon. Midafternoons through there are like riding in a solar collector.

I would post pics of these routes, but I dont see an easy way to do that. If you have any questions, drop me a line!

Gene Chapman
00 K1200LTC

This is the view south on Highway 95 just north of White Bird, the town, in Idaho. This is the area of the old highway, WHite Bird Hill, with the 70+ hairpin switchbacks. What a view!

Attachments

• 018a white bird.jpg
    018a white bird.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 212
Highway 12, Lolo Pass heading west from Missoula, MT to Lewiston, ID.

Attachments

• lolo pass, idaho side westbound a.jpg
    lolo pass, idaho side westbound a.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 214
Highway 12 from Kooskia ID heading east to Missoula MT.

Attachments

• 037a lolo highway and the lochsa river.jpg
    037a lolo highway and the lochsa river.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 213
Somewhere along Highway 12 in Idaho heading west.

Attachments

• highwaay 12, lolo, idaho 1.jpg
    highwaay 12, lolo, idaho 1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 208
Local Riding

take a look at a pic one of my buddies, Richard, took...this is the kind of riding that is waiting for you at the Black Hills BMW Stampede. You can inquire and register for the rally at www.blackhillbmw.com Hope to see you there!

It's less than 2 months away!

Attachments

• vanocker canyon 2.jpg
    vanocker canyon 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 182
turn it

Ah yeah that is what I am talking about...catch me if you can!:burnout I know you said "S" curves, but come on man that looks like way too much fun!

Highway 31 from Jackson Hole, WY to Idaho.

And another alternate route from I-80 in Wyoming. North on 191 from Rock Springs to Farson, Pinedale and Jackson Hole. From Jackson Hole to Idaho Falls to Arco and up Highway 83 to Challis, over Trail Creek Summit to Lolo, Highway 12 to Lewiston.

This is the view back toward Jackson Hole from the 8500 foot mark along Highway 31.

Gene

Attachments

• 069a jackson hole area from 8500 feet.jpg
    069a jackson hole area from 8500 feet.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 161
Heading into Stanley, ID

Photo from May 29th, 2004. Looking south to the mountains on the south side of Stanley, ID as we approach from the north on Highway 75.

Attachments

• 006 stanley.jpg
    006 stanley.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 136
Highway 75 to Sun Valley from STanley

A panoramic view east from Galena summit

Attachments

• galena summit 1.jpg
    galena summit 1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 142
Old White Bird Hill highway.

The scene back upon the 79 switchbacks along this short stretch of the old Whitebird Hill highway. The new highway 95 road is to the right along the side of the hill.:clap

Attachments

• p1010037 (2).jpg
    p1010037 (2).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 93
Route I-25 Motel

Great folks own the Wyoming Motel in Wheatland, WY. Park right in front of your door. More info wyomingmotel.com Exit 80 off I-25, business loop I-25 1 to 1-1/2 miles motel on right.

Bev Fontaine
MOA #5791

Back