• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fly & Ride

"Fly & Ride" - Transport offered from Midwest (Repeat from Redmond Rally)

(see my post of 4/24/04 CHANGES WITH BEKINS OFFER?)

Folks, With the encouragement of the Spokane Rally officials and my adventuresome spirit, I am again offering a Truck transport of bikes to our National Rally/Spokane. I did a similar Haul to Redmond (offloading in Portland, OR) and some of my previous customers have already signed on. I transport via the means of a 53' enclosed, air ride, semi trailer van. The bike riders can fly (or Amtrak) out west and meet their bike in Spokane - ride home east; or roundtrip with me after several days out west; or ride bikes west & I can transport eastbound
-all particulars can be received via e mail from me as you submit an inquiry
-as I reside in northern MI, principal pickup points will again likely be Detroit and Chicago area (dependent on customer response)
-rate at $450 one way from MI; $425 CHI (near half of standard commercial rate)...discounts, roundtrip
-top notch professionals who COVER DETAILS...not one scratch from '2001 GREAT HAUL or logistical snafu...myself, 30 years of diversified, family, efforts in trucking. As a team drive west, co driver is a "doubles" operator for international package shipper
-approx load of 16 bikes each way; looking for serious inquiries at this point ; load to be filled based on date of inquiry; later - deposit

"trucked & biked extensively Spokane and the Pacific Northwest - in the spirit of Lewis and Clark and Lolo Pass",

Ray Cotter BMWMOA #5807
kodiakkayak@yahoo.com

***See late thread entry, 3/22, re potential Amtrak ride****

Last edited:
Keep e mails coming - Thanks (Pictures coming)

I am slowly building up a potential portrait of the design of this effort...an alternative for folks with time and travel constraints:

A few general summations of my response to e mails:
-in most instances, I am unable to provide a personalized "driveway" pickup/drop off service..i.e.usually done in group fashion or near interstate
-this is especially true of westbound where there are more time constraints in getting bikes out there
-eastbound return allows for more variables

How long is rig parked in Spokane?
-my rig, in a secured fashion, will likely be parked from Thursday to Thursday (7-15 to 7-22)...does allow for storage of bikes, gear etc. I plan to ride my own bike during this time period within the gorgeous area & for eastbound hauled bikes/riders to do the same

From all indicators I see in these forums, Spokane is shaping up to be a superb rally. As a veteran rider & trucker in the Pacific Northwest, you will be entralled by the riding area. Hey, I have lived and ridden in Alaska. While riding in northern Idaho and Montana, I thought I "was back THERE!"

Ray Cotter BMWMOA#5807
Frankfort, MI 231-651-1991 (eves & wknds or messages)

hmmm...now where did I put those Redmond Rally pictures for posting here of rig and loading style?

Last edited:
An attempt to post pictures from Great Haul ! - Redmond 2001

I am distinctly better at operating 18 wheelers and motorcycles than I am with computers, but I am going to try and post a few pictures here. (they may be in the next reply?)

1. Me and my my rig.."motels were most accommodating for parking!"
2. That really is Gray Buckley (on bike), Chair of Redmond Rally..he gave me a cap, pin, and tokens for beer at next rally??
3. Two satisfied westbound "fly and riders" from Chicago...Jim and Bill?..they are coming with me to Spokane!
4. The "angels put to bed" in the back...firm 4 point tie down

This is a great club...allows us to bring so many aspects of travel together! Thanks.

Ray Cotter #BMWMOA 5807

Picture #2 of 4

Gray Buckley prepares to depart Redmond - Job well done!

Attachments

• gray.jpg
    gray.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 376
Picture # 3 of 4

The Chicago boys - satisfied customers.

Attachments

• bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 371
Picture # 4 of 4

Bedded down - Not even a scuff mark.

Attachments

• load.jpg
    load.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 373
Picture #1 of 4

Portland Airport Quality Inn

"The Special Flock - Guarded by Great Haul I"

Attachments

• picture 1 of 4.jpg
    picture 1 of 4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 495
SOMEONE IS THINKING - AMTRAK CONNECT?

The picture shows Great Haul I, leaving Portland, Interstate 84 - eastbound / Redmond Rally '01 (is that Amtrak??!)
BIT SWEET, CRUISIN IN A FREIGHTLINER WITH A LOAD
OF BEEMERS CHEERING YOU ON FROM THE 'BACKSEAT'

Folks,
This is a bit timely, as Amtrak summer trains fill up quickly. However, a suggestion has been made to allow riders to take the train out of Chicago to Spokane, 2 1/2 days later, meet bikes in Spokane
-7/12, bikes loaded at Amtrak yard into Great Haul II rig, downtown CHI Union Station (or better yet - load in South Bend,IN...riders take Amtrak into Union Station)
-several bikes already onboard, plus five other CHI bikes loading later, in west Chicago....limits, obviously on numbers
-permits riders from varied sites in midwest and east to "take a break from the pavement"...enjoy the coffee and view
-bikes ridden home east (train option, likely only works for west haul)
-double bunked Freightliner; two drivers keep rig safely moving toward Spokane

More info/clarification
Ray Cotter BMWMOA #5807
kodiakkayak@yahoo.com
231-651-1991 (messages or eves & wknds)

Attachments

• amtrak4.jpg
    amtrak4.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Update on developments - "Another rig allowed into Redmond"

At this point, favored loading sites are:
-westbound; n. MI, Detroit, Chicago (likely load, Gilberts, IL)
-eastbound; likely the same...also possible N.OHio (Columbus?)
(view other thread - possible use of Amtrak for rider getting
to Spokane, rather than flying; via Chicago station)
Timetable:
-would like to have folks onboard with an expressed "interest,
serious interest, or for sure", by April 15
-deposits taken at May 15, with assurance from me in detail of
individual expectations as to load sites, time, etc
-after May 15, acceptance only per a cancellation..or should
space/logistics still permit
Misc:
-yes, sidecars and trailers can be handled; some additional cost
-within reason, extra gear no problem...free
-yes, possible service along route at other points west of
Chicago...i.e. MN, IA ;preferably, eastbound haul; prices
reduced per distance
Ray Cotter, BMWMOA #5807 / 231-651-1991
pic - "one of the 'other' rigs allowed in at Redmond '01"

Attachments

• bmwmoarig.jpg
    bmwmoarig.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I can attest to the quality of care Ray gives his herd.He brought my ride to me from Michigan to Portland;and all he did was make the turn signal flasher quit on me!!
(jk)

Thanks Great Haul Man!!

I've merged these threads.

This topic doesn't need to be spread out over three different threads.

Memories of Great Haul I - even Back to Branson, '75

Thanks Dave, for the superb moderating of all these threads.
And thanks to James in B.C. - finally not just e mails, a real thread response!!

You got me wondering if you were complimenting me, or?..(the flasher issue concern) I called your friend Don here in Michigan as I revisted my Redmond records. Don had two bikes go with me, as you bought one from him after my haul. He assured me you meant it as a "salute". He was unware of the flasher problem from his old bike. He recalled my service as "stellar". Gee, maybe I should hire on at Mayflower!

And enough of Great Haul I or II - how about Branson MO and June 28, of '75. I was attending my first National Rally (Club's third?) We have grown a bit and some things have changed. Indeed, I recall veteran spoke turners at the campfires of the Jellystone Park talking about RARE folks who might haul a bike: "Those bikes are meant for riding, NOT hauling! We might not talk to them all weekend!" We have changed a bit in some circumstances and needs, BUT OUR STRONG SPIRIT AND BOND REMAIN THE SAME!

Ray

Who can guess what engine that is in the lead bike parked at the rest stop, headed to Branson from Grand Rapids, MI? Hint - another German manufacturer. (ans, later thread)

Attachments

• branson.jpg
    branson.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 198
HAS "Wal Mart" (Bekins Van Lines) beat my offer?

Folks,

I just became aware that the home page for the Rally lists a Bekins Van Line offer for shipping bikes west to the Rally from all over the east/midwest. I believe this to be a very recent offer negotiated by Rally officials. I applaud the efforts (first time ever for a National Rally?) The price and service appeals to be ideal.

Can I compete, or has "the big guy" put me out of business?

I still have a good partial load of folks headed west, and a few east. I REMAIN THE ONLY MEANS TO SHIP EAST after the rally. And of course, my market is smaller, favoring the midwest. As Bekin will do, I have trucking/freight resources to augment a partial load, if needed, to cover costs. (told one broker already.."No...not able to take frozen Sara Lee Pies - NOT SHIPPING THE BIKES FROZEN!")

Conclusions:
-if you have any questions about my service, call now as our group is in decision making mode the next few weeks. INQUIRE NOW.
-this has never been a profit effort on my part...love bikes, trucks and BMWMOA. If I get a big enough response, all parties could possibly have the fares reduced by a maximum of $75...i.e. $350 between Spokane and Chicago.

Grateful! And regardless...keep thinking Spokane (sort of rhymes with our old spokes?)!....no matter how we get there.

Ray Cotter
231-651-1991
Frankfort, MI

Back