• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

My kind of rally.

rdalland

Giddyap
Stopped by the Yankee Beemer rally in Copake Falls, NY on Saturday.

202727215-M.jpg

It was about 1:00 in the afternoon when I got there.

202727245-M.jpg

As you can see in the photos, there was not one person or motorcycle there! Everyone was out riding. This is my kind of club.

YB Rally

Sorry we missed you Reid, there were about 50 of us there for a most excellent weekend.

Good food close by surrounded by excellent riding in all directions. Some people went exploring the local dirt tracks under the guidance of Jack Phelps, some went to the Aerodrome for biplane rides, soem were across the Hudson at the Hunter Mountain Oktoberfest, and some were in Saugerties at the huge Garlic Festival. Others were just out exploring the area and greatly enjoying the local roads. It was hard to find a bad ride no matter which direction you chose.

The photos show what a nice venue it was, the bathrooms were clean and the free showers were hot. Met all my requirements for an enjoyable weekend.

Friedle

wow

50 at wacky hat! i was driving the cage from NYC to western mass saturday afternoon, was up there around 5pm and was totally ready to stop (i was on 22 heading north). i stopped for gas about 25 miles south and when i got back in my car it refused to idle, i had to keep giving it gas to keep from stalling. i wanted to cut my losses and not be stuck somewhere so i hightailed it to the pike and got it to western mass. fuel injector cleaner and new plugs today seemed to fix the issue:clap

still haven't made it to a wacky hat:brow

Wacky Hat in NY, eh? The weather in Vermont this time of year can be somewhat variable.

Were there hats in attendance? We need to see the hats!

For those that don't know the legend of the Wacky Hat, I'll tell it.

In the mid 90s, maybe 93 or 94, the YBs, in conjunction with the MOV, organized a fairly informal, no host campout. Nothing fancy with probably 20 in attendance.

We rode up on Saturday and while the day started nicely, by the time we got up to Kettle Pond, it was starting to rain. We all got settled in the leantos and gathered around a big fire the MOV folks had provided. They'd stuffed Judy Mirro's SAAB with wood, if I recall correctly, and had enough to keep us all warm.

So we stood around the fire, in the pouring rain, talking about the day's ride. But, with the rain, hats started to show up. People were trying to stay dry, so anything was a good solution. There were some truly awful hats, which captured the attention of the YB's president, Pete Martin.

The next month, Pete wrote about the "wacky hats" that were in attendance at Kettle Pond and an event was born.

There. Now you know the rest of the story.

Glad to see you guys in Kopake. That's a pretty nice spot. Isn't that right on the border of MA, at Bash Bish Falls?

Back