• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final Drive Viscosity?

TomR1200

Hello,

I'm surprised to find that my new bike's Riders Manual does not seem to list the correct viscosity for the R1200R final drive. They've really dumbed these down.

BMWON in July stated that I need SAE 75W-140 synthetic. Can someone with a shop manual on CD confirm this, please?

Thanks, Tom Marincic

While I haven't seen the shop manual, Bob's BMW used synth 75W140 when I had the FD fluid changed in my '06RT.

Amidst all the controversy surrounding final drives and their "lifetime" lubrication, I changed mine at 5,000 miles and I put 75/140 in it.

Subsequent to that, according to a local dealter, BMW NA says to use their 75/90 final drive fluid and to change it once at 600 miles.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this info, but it did come from one dealer. You might check with yours.

The last bulletin from BMW stated to change it once at 600 miles and fill it with BMW synth 75W90. No further changes necessary.

I got some bad information and wrote that 75w140 should be used. This is wrong according to the latest information I have found.

Use 75w90 synthetic.

I apologize for the wrong information.

Thanks

OK, I see there's some controversy on the latest advice. My dilemma is compounded by the fact that I bought a "demo" bike with 1600 miles on it. The dealer assured me that the 600 mile service was performed by them, but I've seen no paperwork, so I'll have to call and see what fluid they used, or if the FD was changed at all.

Thanks for the replies, Tom

FD fluid

hi found the data sheet on the fd fluid but cannot seem to post the link. so the official spec.ed fluid is Castrol SAF-XO part # TYK500010 SAE 75W-90 API GL5.

This is a full synthetic gear oil that was originally developed for heavy truck rear ends. also spec.ed for use in all BMW rear ends (cars, suv's and bikes) using an open non-locking differential.

It is different then normal castrol 75W-90 synthetic gear oil rated at GL5. cant find out what is diff. but judging by the price, suspect hi moly content. (it costs 4 times as much as "normal" synth. gear oil)

hi found the data sheet on the fd fluid but cannot seem to post the link. so the official spec.ed fluid is Castrol SAF-XO part # TYK500010 SAE 75W-90 API GL5.

This is a full synthetic gear oil that was originally developed for heavy truck rear ends. also spec.ed for use in all BMW rear ends (cars, suv's and bikes) using an open non-locking differential.

It is different then normal castrol 75W-90 synthetic gear oil rated at GL5. cant find out what is diff. but judging by the price, suspect hi moly content. (it costs 4 times as much as "normal" synth. gear oil)

As best as I can figure out it is an "extended drain interval" gear oil. I have seen the initial fills in new bikes looking all the way from a slightly greenish yellow clear to a very blackish looking almost opaque. In years past, I have seen gear oil in new trans and FD right out of the parts depot with the blackish look and also with the clearish look. Maybe they use different suppliers or maybe they send parts from the production line sometimes and other times the parts are meant for inventory.
When the Castrol SAF-XO spec first came to light a couple of years ago, I asked the BMW car side for a case of it and they said it only could be obtained in a 55 gal drum. Then later they said it was not marketed in this country. I don't believe any of it, but it may be true. I wasn't able to get any and quit trying.
I think the synth BMWNA stuff, 75W90, is just fine. Made by Spectrol and is said to be an "extended drain interval" as well.

I may know someday - I ordered some from the UK.. if it ever gets here (been quite a while now..)

My dealer told me to use 80W/90 dino BMW gear oil in the FD for my R1200RT. Of course this was incorrect advice but I used it and it's been fine. I'll switch to the 75W/90 BMW gear oil this winter. I couldnt' find this listed on the BMW shop manual CD but I did find it listed under realoem.com for my bike and year.

Gear Oil

Well now I am really confused. Where did the 75w/90 syn oil requirement come from? I look at A&S, and the only BMW brand gear oils they sell are GL5 80w/90 dino and BMW Super Synthetic gear oil 75w140???
Gary
04 R1150RT

My dealer told me to use 80W/90 dino BMW gear oil in the FD for my R1200RT. Of course this was incorrect advice but I used it and it's been fine. I'll switch to the 75W/90 BMW gear oil this winter. I couldnt' find this listed on the BMW shop manual CD but I did find it listed under realoem.com for my bike and year.

I think the specification for synth is mainly for the long drain interval requirement.

Well now I am really confused. Where did the 75w/90 syn oil requirement come from? I look at A&S, and the only BMW brand gear oils they sell are GL5 80w/90 dino and BMW Super Synthetic gear oil 75w140???
Gary
04 R1150RT

The 75W140 was replaced by the synth 75W90. At least that is what the latest bulletin calls for...the 75W90. There also was some indication that the 140 was discontinued. I don't know if they (BMWNA) still market it or not.

I changed mine at 600 and at 11,000 with Redline synthetic 75W90. Both changes had about the same amount of metal flakes in them. I think you'd be stupid not to change it more than once; perhaps every 12,000 miles.

I changed mine at 600 and at 11,000 with Redline synthetic 75W90. Both changes had about the same amount of metal flakes in them. I think you'd be stupid not to change it more than once; perhaps every 12,000 miles.

Ok I guess. I didn't have any flakes at all in three K12S bikes at about 11K the only change. I did have a 16th of an inch of metal dust on the magnets.

Gear Oil

So I called my BMW dealer this morning to sort this out, they carry BMW gear oil 80W90 and 75W140 synthetic, and they recommend the Super Syn 75W140 for the tranny and FD in my 04RT. Will we ever figure out what the real deal is?
Gap

I use 75W140 in summer, and 75W90 in winter, both full synthetic.

I'm not sure it really maters if you change it regularly, and I also believe every 12K is a good rule of thumb.

Jim :brow

So I called my BMW dealer this morning to sort this out, they carry BMW gear oil 80W90 and 75W140 synthetic, and they recommend the Super Syn 75W140 for the tranny and FD in my 04RT. Will we ever figure out what the real deal is?
Gap

Yes. BMW issued a bulletin/instructions for changing the fluid in the 2007 models at 600 miles. Ask your dealer to see that bulletin and then ask the dealer to use the viscosity stated in that bulletin. Don't ask what they "prefer." Ask what BMW told them to use.

Back