Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 169

Thread: Final Drive Viscosity?

  1. #1
    Registered User TomR1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    146

    Final Drive Viscosity?

    Hello,

    I'm surprised to find that my new bike's Riders Manual does not seem to list the correct viscosity for the R1200R final drive. They've really dumbed these down.

    BMWON in July stated that I need SAE 75W-140 synthetic. Can someone with a shop manual on CD confirm this, please?

    Thanks, Tom Marincic

  2. #2
    While I haven't seen the shop manual, Bob's BMW used synth 75W140 when I had the FD fluid changed in my '06RT.

  3. #3
    SNC1923
    Guest
    Amidst all the controversy surrounding final drives and their "lifetime" lubrication, I changed mine at 5,000 miles and I put 75/140 in it.

    Subsequent to that, according to a local dealter, BMW NA says to use their 75/90 final drive fluid and to change it once at 600 miles.

    I can't vouch for the accuracy of this info, but it did come from one dealer. You might check with yours.

  4. #4
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    The last bulletin from BMW stated to change it once at 600 miles and fill it with BMW synth 75W90. No further changes necessary.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  5. #5
    I got some bad information and wrote that 75w140 should be used. This is wrong according to the latest information I have found.

    Use 75w90 synthetic.

    I apologize for the wrong information.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #6
    Registered User TomR1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    146

    Thanks

    OK, I see there's some controversy on the latest advice. My dilemma is compounded by the fact that I bought a "demo" bike with 1600 miles on it. The dealer assured me that the 600 mile service was performed by them, but I've seen no paperwork, so I'll have to call and see what fluid they used, or if the FD was changed at all.

    Thanks for the replies, Tom

  7. #7
    On the Road BigAdv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Cnd
    Posts
    95

    FD fluid

    hi found the data sheet on the fd fluid but cannot seem to post the link. so the official spec.ed fluid is Castrol SAF-XO part # TYK500010 SAE 75W-90 API GL5.

    This is a full synthetic gear oil that was originally developed for heavy truck rear ends. also spec.ed for use in all BMW rear ends (cars, suv's and bikes) using an open non-locking differential.

    It is different then normal castrol 75W-90 synthetic gear oil rated at GL5. cant find out what is diff. but judging by the price, suspect hi moly content. (it costs 4 times as much as "normal" synth. gear oil)

  8. #8
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAdv View Post
    hi found the data sheet on the fd fluid but cannot seem to post the link. so the official spec.ed fluid is Castrol SAF-XO part # TYK500010 SAE 75W-90 API GL5.

    This is a full synthetic gear oil that was originally developed for heavy truck rear ends. also spec.ed for use in all BMW rear ends (cars, suv's and bikes) using an open non-locking differential.

    It is different then normal castrol 75W-90 synthetic gear oil rated at GL5. cant find out what is diff. but judging by the price, suspect hi moly content. (it costs 4 times as much as "normal" synth. gear oil)
    As best as I can figure out it is an "extended drain interval" gear oil. I have seen the initial fills in new bikes looking all the way from a slightly greenish yellow clear to a very blackish looking almost opaque. In years past, I have seen gear oil in new trans and FD right out of the parts depot with the blackish look and also with the clearish look. Maybe they use different suppliers or maybe they send parts from the production line sometimes and other times the parts are meant for inventory.
    When the Castrol SAF-XO spec first came to light a couple of years ago, I asked the BMW car side for a case of it and they said it only could be obtained in a 55 gal drum. Then later they said it was not marketed in this country. I don't believe any of it, but it may be true. I wasn't able to get any and quit trying.
    I think the synth BMWNA stuff, 75W90, is just fine. Made by Spectrol and is said to be an "extended drain interval" as well.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  9. #9
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,555
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAdv View Post
    hi found the data sheet on the fd fluid but cannot seem to post the link. so the official spec.ed fluid is Castrol SAF-XO part # TYK500010 SAE 75W-90 API GL5.

    This is a full synthetic gear oil that was originally developed for heavy truck rear ends. also spec.ed for use in all BMW rear ends (cars, suv's and bikes) using an open non-locking differential.

    It is different then normal castrol 75W-90 synthetic gear oil rated at GL5. cant find out what is diff. but judging by the price, suspect hi moly content. (it costs 4 times as much as "normal" synth. gear oil)
    I may know someday - I ordered some from the UK.. if it ever gets here (been quite a while now..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    71
    My dealer told me to use 80W/90 dino BMW gear oil in the FD for my R1200RT. Of course this was incorrect advice but I used it and it's been fine. I'll switch to the 75W/90 BMW gear oil this winter. I couldnt' find this listed on the BMW shop manual CD but I did find it listed under realoem.com for my bike and year.

  11. #11
    PATTENG
    Guest

    Question Gear Oil

    Well now I am really confused. Where did the 75w/90 syn oil requirement come from? I look at A&S, and the only BMW brand gear oils they sell are GL5 80w/90 dino and BMW Super Synthetic gear oil 75w140???
    Gary
    04 R1150RT

  12. #12
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by mtboulder View Post
    My dealer told me to use 80W/90 dino BMW gear oil in the FD for my R1200RT. Of course this was incorrect advice but I used it and it's been fine. I'll switch to the 75W/90 BMW gear oil this winter. I couldnt' find this listed on the BMW shop manual CD but I did find it listed under realoem.com for my bike and year.
    I think the specification for synth is mainly for the long drain interval requirement.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  13. #13
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Patteng View Post
    Well now I am really confused. Where did the 75w/90 syn oil requirement come from? I look at A&S, and the only BMW brand gear oils they sell are GL5 80w/90 dino and BMW Super Synthetic gear oil 75w140???
    Gary
    04 R1150RT
    The 75W140 was replaced by the synth 75W90. At least that is what the latest bulletin calls for...the 75W90. There also was some indication that the 140 was discontinued. I don't know if they (BMWNA) still market it or not.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  14. #14
    Registered User burnszilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    2,395
    I changed mine at 600 and at 11,000 with Redline synthetic 75W90. Both changes had about the same amount of metal flakes in them. I think you'd be stupid not to change it more than once; perhaps every 12,000 miles.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

  15. #15
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    I changed mine at 600 and at 11,000 with Redline synthetic 75W90. Both changes had about the same amount of metal flakes in them. I think you'd be stupid not to change it more than once; perhaps every 12,000 miles.
    Ok I guess. I didn't have any flakes at all in three K12S bikes at about 11K the only change. I did have a 16th of an inch of metal dust on the magnets.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •