• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 9/29

Thanks so much for your thoughtful analysis of the photos.

I am such an amateur but love learning.

You see things the casual observer never notices.

You're a great teacher!!

Voni
sMiling

Catching motion

Motion can be tricky to deal with. I'm a total amateur (at best!) at this fo-tog-ruf-ee stuff, but one area in which going digital has been a godsend is motion. I can remember how awful my film-shots of landing airplanes looked when I got the pictures back. Digital allows the lessons to be applied right away, and you get an instant-do-over in many cases if you want it.
One such case was last year at a Boxerworks Forum Rally. I stumbled out my tent one morning, and was almost hit in the face by a tiny worm swinging on an invisible silk. The worm was no more than half an inch in length, but looked very interesting so I had to get a picture. The swinging had an arc of maybe 8-9 inches, and I knew that the macro required being VERY close to the subject. But every few swings the worm would stop and just hang there for a very brief moment. I took several tries to catch the worm at just the right moment, but I was rewarded for my persistence:

159144685-M.jpg

So my advice is to just work with it and be patient, and use the forgiving nature of digital cameras to see if you can learn some good strategies for motion.

Jeff,

What a neat picture, really vivid both in colors and in message. Thanks!

Veg,

A most unusual close-up. Really interesting picture. You're certainly right about persistence.

Back