• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200rt??

cat0020

R1200RT spotted??

aiz.sized.jpg

R1200RT

Sure looks like the new RT to me! First time I've seen that picture. Where did you happen to find it??

Trying to establish a new look for a product is difficult. If you try to push boundaries there will be times when you make something ugly. It's a risk worth taking. But the kind of shapes that are already questionable on the wonky GS are looking downright disturbing on the more civilized and sedate RT. Hopefully it'll look better in the flesh with some paint.

But who cares? It should be a hoot to ride. With the power increase and the lowered weight, it'll compete exceedingly well.

That looks pretty cool. Whats up with those bags though? They look a wee bit funky. Any talk of tech specs yet?

Oh, no!

That is UGLY! Some of the quirky looks of the R1200GS that I like just don't look right on the RT. I guess I'll either go for a GS or buy one of those used RTs that everyone will be selling next year.

I still am holding out for a non-integrated/power assist/ABS model. Maybe I'll still be looking for a used 2003 R1150GS Sport!

MarkF

MarkF said:
That is UGLY! Some of the quirky looks of the R1200GS that I like just don't look right on the RT. I guess I'll either go for a GS or buy one of those used RTs that everyone will be selling next year.

MarkF

I won't be selling mine if that's the choice. The dual plugged oilheads run quite well.

The fairing on this motorcycle clearly has been masked and covered with an outer "fairing."

We haven't seen what the actual fairing will look like yet.

The very front, around the headlight, looks partially masked, as does the tail light. The rest of the fairing, IMHO, looks *very* detailed and finished. Note how cleanly the mirrors fit into the sides of the fairing, the completeness of the dash, the similarities of the slab sided design to the new GS, the small sculptural details like the two parallel shapes in the upper right of the left front panel, and so on. When the GS first came out, we thought it was disguised with a dummy fairing. It turned out to be the real deal. This RT follows the lines of the current BMW cars and the new GS.

Yeah,all fine and dandy,but the bags look like they're off a K1200LT. How 'bout a different/newer style???

And in my opinion, they are still mounting the "mirrors" too low....
Put an extra gear bag in the rear area on top of the factory bags and there goes your "rear view area" while looking in the mirrors!

On the old K100's and K1100's the mirrors not only sat a little higher for rear viewing, they also did a much better job at protecting your hands from the wind and rain.

Doing a comparision to the newer style RT and this even possible "newer RT", the old "airhead" RT fairing design did a much better job at protecting your feet from the elements.
:brow

knary said:
The rest of the fairing, IMHO, looks *very* detailed and finished.

I disagree. I think it's a disguise. There are just too many clues, such as the very small cutouts for the turn signals, the extra white material between the mirrors and the outer skin, the lack of scoops and lines in the fairing, the lack of "connection" of the upper fairing to the cutaway 1150RT lower fairing, and the lack of lines on the fairing that match the new tank.

:dunno

fish said:
I disagree. I think it's a disguise. There are just too many clues, such as the very small cutouts for the turn signals, the extra white material between the mirrors and the outer skin, the lack of scoops and lines in the fairing, the lack of "connection" of the upper fairing to the cutaway 1150RT lower fairing, and the lack of lines on the fairing that match the new tank.

:dunno

Shall we bet on it? :evil

fish said:
You don't want to do that. I kicked butt on the K12RT bet with Baldy last year. :brow

:p

We'll make it something modest and specific. Winner gets ??

knary said:
:p

We'll make it something modest and specific. Winner gets ??

In. Name it. The bet is whether that's the final fairing or whether it's disguised (other than just paint), right?

fish said:
In. Name it. The bet is whether that's the final fairing or whether it's disguised (other than just paint), right?

I'll concede that the lights aren't the final version, but the main points - side panels, mirrors, moveable windscreen, etc - are the new design.

Name it? can't think of anything yet... not alcohol...something bike related...

gotta get back to work. I'll think of something. :D

knary said:
I'll concede that the lights aren't the final version, but the main points - side panels, mirrors, moveable windscreen, etc - are the new design.

Too vague. The windscreen, lights (under the disguise) and windscreen may well be final. The sticking point is in the fairing sidepanels themselves.

fish said:
Too vague. The windscreen, lights (under the disguise) and windscreen may well be final. The sticking point is in the fairing sidepanels themselves.

Ok.

scott: side panels are final
fish: side panels are a disguise

the prize:?

Okay. How about one of these:

Ez-Air_Lg2.jpg

Save time - this gauge eliminates the need to switch back and forth between gauge and air compressor hose while inflating tires.

To read tire pressure, simply clip the EZ-Air on to the tire valve.

Need air? Use a home or gas station air compressor to inflate directly thru the gauge by applying the hose to the EZ-Air.

Add a little too much air? Bleed button allows for easy pressure adjustment.

Please note that the gauge will not show actual tire pressure while inflating. Actual pressure is shown while gauge is clipped to the valve stem and tire is not being inflated.

* 100 psi steel case gauge
* Easy to use clip-on air chuck
* Rubber gauge guard included
* Quality storage bag included

Back