• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1957 Steyr-Daimler-Puch

rkasal

Unavailable for comment
Not BMW but just bought a 1957 Puch from Austria. It has a cool two piston engine in what looks like one cylinder. One piston apparently operates off of the other piston's rod.

Am sure I will have a greater appreciation of BMW engineering not to mention parts availability once I tear into this thing this winter. Not running but good compression.

What was I thinking? :violin

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Pics will come

Have to wait until it's delivered sometime this week so here's the only photo I have. It's from a cell camera but reveals that I wasn't thinking. Where am I going to get parts for this?

:violin

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Last edited:
Ooops, can't upload

Once I figure out how to make the file size smaller, I'll post.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Pic - how do I post a pic?

I'm in much less of a panic mode now that I've seen and verified it has compression and more importantly, found a new service/parts manual and a reliable source for parts.

Rather unique engine design. Side-by-side tank; oil on the left and gas on the right with oil injection. It's a two-stroke twin piston single cylinder.

So that I can show this bike and make the thread somewhat relevant, someone please tell me how to shrink my .jpg file size. Not going to load a bunch of pics elsewhere to host.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

PS This bike should be good prep for when I find THE right old BMW. Back to work. :violin

If I remember correctly (and this goes back MANY years, so it may not be correct), the engine was known as a "twingle". I believe Sears imported the Puch under the Allstate name in the late '50's. I believe I remember seeing a 250 in a Sears store once, along with the scooters (Piaggio, I think, with Allstate badges).

You are correct!

If I remember correctly (and this goes back MANY years, so it may not be correct), the engine was known as a "twingle". I believe Sears imported the Puch under the Allstate name in the late '50's. I believe I remember seeing a 250 in a Sears store once, along with the scooters (Piaggio, I think, with Allstate badges).

It is referred to as a "twingle" as it has two pistons with one cylinder. The combustion chamber is long with two spark plugs and the engine is a 2-stroke.

The intake is at the back of the engine and the exhaust goes out two pipes at the front curving to the sides. The 250 has either 14.5 (rare version) or 16.5. Mine's the 14.5 with the tractor seat and rear drafting carb and with flat rubber pedals. The engine is supposed to make some torque and the engine and the frame is built like a tractor.

Can't wait to dig into it but need a lift first. Better, in my opinion, to experience the art of restoration before I try an older Beamer.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Back