• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

knocking sound front fork

OHScot

Never really paid as much attention to this as today. Was on a road were the expansion joints were really bad and the front end/ fork seemed to knock loudly like it bottomed out. Did it about 5 times today. Seems as if it is pulled out to the stop, not on compression. Any fix or is it normal. Knocked like it hit a mechanical stop??

Well pretty sure. Pretty loud klunk. The rubbers seem tight and I have Corbin seat that rests against the tank.

1976 R75/6. Yes I know the valve cover is on the wrong side. Has already been swapped just not in this photo.

Attachments

• leftwbag.JPG
    leftwbag.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 322
1976 R75/6. Yes I know the valve cover is on the wrong side. Has already been swapped just not in this photo.

Beautiful bike. Very nice fairing. What kind of fairing is it? It looks like you have the standard bars on it. No clearance issues?

I know my questions aren't solving your problem. Just looked too nice to resist. Thanks.

It might be a broken spring, but highly unlikely. Springs are pretty tough. In order to solve this one, some pieces are likely to come off the front end, so may as well look at the easy stuff first.

What it really sounds like to me is excessive clearance between the top steering head bearing and the race. The bottom bearing is holding the weight. As soon as the tire passes over the joint and the front tire drops down, the bottom bearing momentarily separates from its race. Then the whole weight of the front end slams down onto the bottom bearing with a BANG.

I had this trouble on a 1983 R100RT, only with a different twist. This serial number of bike was one of those pushed out in a hurry by management due to a big European auto worker strike of that year. The top bearing rides on a raised surface of the threaded tube that goes into the frame head. This surface was OVERSIZE, and the bearing would not not slide down on it as it's supposed to. The bearing was jammed onto the top of of this oversized surface, and then the adjusting nut was tightened by one of those gorillas in the old Samsonite Luggage commercials. Result was, the "play" was allegedly taken up with the adjusting nut, yet there was still about, oh, an INCH of play in the bearing area. All the weight of the front end rested solely on the bottom bearing. The front-end would go into a serious wobble if you let both hands off the bars momentarily.

A Michigan dealer at the time, now thankfully long out of business, told me that both the adjuster nut AND the cap nut were not tight enough, to get a bigger wrench on them.:banghead
And the wobble? "Don't take your hands off the bars!":banghead

Ended up taking the whole front end completely apart, one piece at a time, in trying to discover what the heck the problem was. Finally I took the fork, sans fork tubes, to my now late friend Sam (Pax Requiem Eternam), who took in machine work from all over the country. "Ya see that BMW Triple over there?" he would say laughing while staring at stacks of Harley engines in various states of disassembly. "All them Harley Riders done bought me that BMW."

He covered the top threads with a metal tape, stuck the whole thing in a lathe, and turned down the raised surface to be .002" undersize to the new bearing. After replacing the bottom bearing, both were packed with Pennzoil 707L Red Bearing Grease using a grease needle on the end of an ordinary grease gun. Eagerly put it back together. When the fork was merely FINGER tightened with the top adjuster nut, lo and behold, the bearing clearance adjusted like it was supposed to. :thumb I snugged the adjuster nut up just slightly with a wrench, and then tightened the cap nut to the required torque spec.

This model bike had a steering damper on it. As soon as it was reassembled and with brand-new Progressive fork springs, I took it out on the freeway, left the damper in "0" position (undampened), set the throttle set screw for 75mph, and rode it for 20+ miles via "Look, Ma, no hands!" It felt rock solid in the front end, and I could change lanes at will by merely shifting body weight.:groovy

I encountered this issue on two other R100s built around the same time. I wrote a nice explanatory letter in the mid-80s to 'MOA, but back then they were not interested in publishing anything negative about a BMW, irregardless of the safety of other people who purchased a bike on the same production run. :banghead

Your description of the problem jogged this unpleasant memory.
It is probably not this complicated, but the way you described it rang a bell, and I am quite sure that bearing clearance is involved.

Perhaps someone else will recognize these symptoms, address the problem, and possibly save their hide as a result.

Stem bearings feel good and play is correct no wobble at any speed. The sound seems to be the fork hitting an internal stop?? Just one quick pop /clunk. Guess I will have to start pulling and beating on stuff to see if any play or looseness is in the front end frame area.:banghead

Thanks Kurt and OHScot, as always, for the good info. Had a lengthy conversation with Jerry at Hannigan. Loads of info and something new to save pennies for.

I bought mine used on the IBMWR board. Was manufactured in 1977 and had no unusual wear or stress cracks. Just a quick refinish and was good to ride. Great storage and comfortable wind protection. Not car like but it makes all weather riding comfortable. Every once in a while on hot days I stand or put my helmet to the side to get more wind flow. Jerry was a real resource providing a few of the bits and parts needed and a complete manual at reasonable pricing. like the Airhead itself I believe these things are made to go the long haul.

I bought mine used on the IBMWR board. Was manufactured in 1977 and had no unusual wear or stress cracks. Just a quick refinish and was good to ride. Great storage and comfortable wind protection. Not car like but it makes all weather riding comfortable. Every once in a while on hot days I stand or put my helmet to the side to get more wind flow. Jerry was a real resource providing a few of the bits and parts needed and a complete manual at reasonable pricing. like the Airhead itself I believe these things are made to go the long haul.

Is yours an SS or an ST

I believe it is a ST the larger of the two. I started looking for a Pichler because I always liked the look, found Hannigan. Would have mounted a RT fairing if I could have figured it out. Not sure what you would gain if you already have an RT??

I believe it is a ST the larger of the two. I started looking for a Pichler because I always liked the look, found Hannigan. Would have mounted a RT fairing if I could have figured it out. Not sure what you would gain if you already have an RT??

The RT fairing was removed by the previous owner and I don't want someting that big. I have a Parabellum Scout which is smaller, fork-mounted unit. It works well, but is not as stable as a frame mounted unit. It is a little warm in Florida for an RT fairing. The ST would probably be a bit much as well. But the shape and lines of the fairing are sharp.

your vintage bike has two rubber like bumpers inside each fork leg unit, age and fork oil often reduce these to mush. if the forks have not been overhauled recently it woud be good to do so. also looks into fork tube alignment. best to do all at once...

yes but no

The rubber bumpers sit at the very bottom of the slider to cushion the fork tubes from a severe bottoming-out. I believe what is happening here is a bang at full extension; am I right?
Makes me think the forks were not set up properly the last time. More on that later...

I have no doubt that if those rubber donuts are original they are in fact mush, causing the fluid to be contaminated possibly plugging holes.
I would suggest draining the fluid, droping the slider caps and checking/replacing those donuts ($8?). They are the only thing that REALLY need to be replaced at a 'rebiuld'; everything else can be cleaned and replaced barring damage or corrosion (you do replace the fork oil regularly?).
I have come across many of these rubber things that you can shape like putty once old.

If you replace the fluid, replace the fill caps and take the bike off the center stand. THEN remove the fill caps to equalize the air pressure in the system. With the front brake on and the fill caps out, compress the front by pushing down a few times to bleed trapped air. CAREFUL here, if the fork fluid you just put in hasn't entered the lowers from a clog or otherwise, you will get a BLAST of 7wt oil on you. Its best to have a buddy/wife hold the machine when equalizing the pressure to get it right on and then replace the fill caps. i.e. Don't sit on the machine when replacing the fill caps or the opposite will happen as if you left the machine with the forks extended when you replaced the fill caps.

If the machine acts choppy when you accel/decell you may have an air bubble in the fluid. Try bleeding and re-equalizing the air pressure again.

For OHScot: after you have reset the air pressure per the above method, does the bike seam to sit about 1/2-2" lower in the front. Replacing the fill plugs while the bike is on the center stand will totally upset your bike on bumps and blow oil out of the fork seals. Are your sliders oily? I bought an R100 that made the same "clunk" and had a leaking fork seal. I checked the suspension out just like I described and replaced the fill plugs on the center stand like I advised against. Same "clunk" over rough roads. Then it occurred to me what I did, removed the fill plugs while holding it upright under its own weight and they sprayed air out. No wonder!
I'm willing to put a money back guarantee on this free info as the solution to your clunk.

It has been 3 years since I have changed the fork fluid. I have always filled it and left the caps loose on top and worked the suspension to work out any air. Will have to tear into the forks and try to see what has happened. They work well normal riding and seem to compress and release as they should. Used 2.5 wt oil at the last change. As far as I know they have never been apart. The rubber outer boots are about due. Guess I have my first rainy day project. Thank you all for the sugestions so far. Was kinda of hoping some one would say oh this is it tighten this bolt.

Weight?

2.5wt seems extreamly light.
For what reason are you using such a light weight? I've never even seen a bottle of 2.5.
I would think a 7-10wt oil would be more appropriate. I would also suggest a yearly fork fluid change when you change your brake fluid. You do that too right?

Anyone have opinions on fork oil weight for specific models they have found to be perfect combos?
I know everyone has an opinion on motor/gear oil, just curious about the interest here.

-dan

Have to check the fork oil weight. Seemed wrong when I typed it, but I remember hunting all over for it. Might be 7.5. Bounced the fork on the ground on the center stand and it thunks when fully extended, like it hits a stop. Also when bouncing the front end on the ground with the brake on the caliper pops. Guess I should order seals and boots and whatever is the hard stop bumper and tear it apart. Hope it is safe to ride as the weather is getting nice. Will have to wait for rain or snow.

Back