• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

To be expected!

Polarbear

Polarbear
Boy, this "Rally" page dies this time of year, does it not? To be expected, as we seem far and removed from our famed National Rally days. As I get older, these days sure seem to come and go much quicker and National Rallies are doing the same. I'm officially a senior now at 55, just recently and the 'MOA sent a happy birthday note, as well the local Autumn Beemer Bash folks, too when I arrived at their rally this month in Quincy,CA.. Nice touch, I can't remember this being done before. Is this normal, remembering? I do remember my National Beemer Rallies though and want to keep 'em fresh as the year passes. Anybody have any really unusual stories, regarding their Wisconsin Trip this year? Maybe at the rally! Gini and I rode the K1200LT, towing our trailer for all our camping gear and did the northern routes from CA., through Nv.,Idaho,Montana, Dakota's,Minn.,and Wisconsin and back home through the north also. Not at the rally, but a very unusual sight indeed was entering Minnisota on US12 near the town of Appleton, perhaps an hour or so before dusk. We are looking for a camp spot as the day ends. I think its Hwy7 and we come across "hundreds" of Pheasants(birds) in the roadway, with their young chicks. I mean hundreds and hundreds of 'em critters! I have these at my place where I live, but never have I seen so many. We slowed to half speed and still nearly hit some, but missed all thank goodness. This went on for 10 miles. Quite a spectacle and we prett:usa :scratch :dunno :thumb y much had the road alone, with no other vehicles. I'll never forget it.
The Rally! Nope, I had a great time and nothing unusual really occurred to me and Gini. I met a guy from Guadalajara, Mexico, coming a long ways on his KLT, at the wash rack. I'd seen him before, in years past. Paul Glaves, as I was changing my KLT oil at the Oil Change booth, stopped by for some rally chat with others at the booth, as I did my dirty work on the ground. I did not get to meet him, however, but I listened in. Nothing terribly unusual I recall. Just good times. I visited WalMart, down the highway nearby, a couple times for shopping, ect..Seems I was not alone! WalMart should have a LARGE booth at our rallies!!! The Cabela's(I think its spelled right) store is another neat store, which we lack out west, was just down the block from our rally and I bought another tent. Two tents packed for home! Good thing I had the trailer:). We have lots of neat, good vendors and lots of money is spent on and off the grounds at the vendors and local stores. Maybe we should invite MORE to our rallies, as an experiment. We spread our money around a lot and this is good.
Happy Trails to all and here's to Gillette, coming sooner than we think, as we age gracefully, hopefully:).Randy13233 P'Bear @55,hehehe!

All those things that I really enjoy are here, then gone. I've tried to savor those people, places and or events as much as possible by taking just a few moments at the end of the day to reflect on just how damn lucky I am and how great life can be. The less than swell days I always learn from, but just don't dwell on.

The emotional "down cycle" is an unfortunate occurance after a really great rally. But help is available: find the right road and apply throttle at every oppourtinity.

My story is...... on the way to West Bend, as I was enjoying the ride through southwest Wisconsin, a couple of prairie chickens ran out in front of me, I missed the first one and was sure I hit the second one. I looked behind me, no chicken or feathers, there was none in the forks of my R/90, I kept rolling till I came to a stop sign (10 miles or so from the chicken event). As I came to a stop this burning smell hit me....... the chicken was laying over the right jug, it's head was on the exhaust pipe and it's legs next to mine. It didn't look very healthy..... or properly bar-b-qued.

When I hit the thing I never streched my neck far enough to look over my right knee at the engine, I kicked it off and had a much better day than the chicken.

What a good one!

Fried chicken! Now, thats one I've not heard before:). I nearly had pheasant myself, that evening and its a miracle i missed so many of 'em in the road that evening. Better than deer, however! Yep:). Iowa, one state I missed getting to this time around, but been there many times on bike travels. The truck stop on I80, thats sooo big was a sight I stopped at for a visit. I think its I80, yes? The worlds biggest truck stop:) is in Iowa! Just a tid bit from my Iowa travels, years past. Randy13233

Back