• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

At it again...Montana September

E

eltee2

After patiently watching the summer draw to a close, a plan emerged. An operation ( www.motorcycleshipping.biz) out of Milwaukee sent Allied Van Lines in with all the gear and we were started...Thanks Mary Lou.

Our flight to Kalispell, MT from Baltimore connected in Minneapolis which had only one runway operational due to construction. We initially had a 1 hr. weather delay, which blew our connecting flight, but, almost like someone was looking out for us, we were given the active runway at BWI and released for departure. Enroute, weather and traffic worsened and the pilot said we were the last arrival at Minneapolis that would not have to hold. Indeed our flight was on time and our connection perfect.

I could see it had rained on the south side of town. The streets were wet and it was raining at Glacier Intnl. as we deplaned.

Josh, from Kalispell Taxi was waiting to take us to Montana Harley Davidson, on the south side of town where it was sunny and bright. The folks at Montana Harley are a big part of what makes riding special. They happily agreed to receive our bikes and held them until we arrived, all as a courtesy.

The weather was rapidly retreating to the north and we hoped we wouldn't over run it, but the mountains of Glacier National Park were shrouded in clouds.

But, as we joined MT# 49 at East Glacier heading up and over toward St. Mary, it began to spit rain and snow.

We pressed on in the fading daylight hoping to ride SW to Logans Pass knowing that construction on Going to the Sun Road had severely curtailed access to the park from West Glacier. When dense fog stopped us, miles before the top, we were thankful to find a place for the night...quite a nice place in fact...to rest and dry out. We would not be quite so happy in the morning.

Several vehicles were idling outside the main building of the lodge. It was my poor decision to ignore their caution. My thought was if it's coming down hard now, it's only going to get deeper. Sitting in a motel, however nice, for a few days, just wasn't in my plans.

Neither was this.

Shaken buy not hurt, Bruce and I wrestled this load upright. When the snowplow passed us coming up the hill, we could see just how much snow was on the road surface...too much!

Last edited:
Back