• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hello fom a newbie

M

mrbreeze

Last Tuesday I bought a 2001 BMW R1100RL with 3900 miles on it. I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years. I have owned something like 15 - 17 bikes, all Japanese, until now. I have always wanted a BMW, and when I stumbled across this one, I had to have it. The local BMW dealer was selling it on consignment. I figured since the miles were so low, I had them change the oil and filter and flush the hydraulics before I took delivery. The bike had been sitting for a long time and they had to put a new fuel pump in it. The tires look good, no dry rot.

I got to take it for a good long ride today, and enjoyed it immensely. Lots of torque, great handling, comfy ergonomics. I took it on a road that had lots of potholes, and the telelever was brilliant. I also got hard on the brakes one time just to see how hard she could stop, and I was very impressed.

I have lots of questions though. Whats the best tires? Oil? Sometimes my battery light stays on when I first start the bike, until I give it a little gas. Is it supposed to do that? Or could the battery be suspect? Is the fuel pump supposed to make that much noise?

Welcome

Welcome aboard,
You will get lots of answers to your questionshere, lots of great people and good advice.
Let us know where you are located in your profile and someone will probably look you up to go for a ride.

Welcome to the "madness" I was in your shoes last year at this time, first BMW etc, etc. You will find answers to every question about your BMW right here. (and they will be the right answers too!)
About the fuel pump, it does make a bunch of noise when you first turn on the key, in neutral, with side stand up. The battery light will sometimes stay on untill you bring the RPM's up a bit too, this is normal.
I do not know how mechanically inclined you are, but these things are quite easy to do the routine service on saving a ton of ca$h that can be spent on farkles.
Please take a few minutes to fill in your profile so we know a bit more about you.
Have Fun!:D

Last Tuesday I bought a 2001 BMW R1100RL with 3900 miles on it. I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years. I have owned something like 15 - 17 bikes, all Japanese, until now. I have always wanted a BMW, and when I stumbled across this one, I had to have it. The local BMW dealer was selling it on consignment. I figured since the miles were so low, I had them change the oil and filter and flush the hydraulics before I took delivery. The bike had been sitting for a long time and they had to put a new fuel pump in it. The tires look good, no dry rot.

I got to take it for a good long ride today, and enjoyed it immensely. Lots of torque, great handling, comfy ergonomics. I took it on a road that had lots of potholes, and the telelever was brilliant. I also got hard on the brakes one time just to see how hard she could stop, and I was very impressed.

I have lots of questions though. Whats the best tires? Oil? Sometimes my battery light stays on when I first start the bike, until I give it a little gas. Is it supposed to do that? Or could the battery be suspect? Is the fuel pump supposed to make that much noise?

That was my first ever BMW and first ever Motorcycle. Loved it. Been kicking myself for getting rid of it. I am on my 3rd now. A GS. Love it too.

Tires: rubber ones. I like Metzlers. I really liked the 880. Good all around tire. Some folks think they are too hard.

Oil: I run 20/50 most of the year. 10/40 in the winter. 75/90 in the tranny and final drive. ABS lights if you have it should flash until you start rolling. Fuel pump....yep. Turn the bike on you should hear it wind up as it starts pumping fuel. Then it should shut off. Start the bike and I can't hear mine very well. My sister had an R850R that was really loud when the bike was running. We were about to replace the filter and the pump but it stopped doing it. Back to normal now.

Welcome aboard. There are a lot of others on here who can probably answer a lot better than me. Lots of great wrenches on here. If you can't get an answer here you probably haven't asked the question.

Post up some pics of your new ride. Congrats and again...welcome.

Brian

Welcome to the worlds of Rad's

Motorrad is German for motorcycle and rad is slang for a motorcycle much as we say bike. You have a good rad. Just maintain it and you'll have it for many years.

Regards,

Randy Kasal :bikes

Back