• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wrist rests

FRUBIO

Looking for feed back on the Wrist Rests.
Am thinking of putting them on my 93-K1100LT and would like to hear both sides.
Thanks in advance.
Fernando:dunno

Re: Throttle Rocker

eljeffe said:
www.throttlerocker.com

One of the cheapest and best accessories I've ever put on a motorcycle.

I had one, hated it. Set it up to be comfortable on the highway but when your in town or parking lots when you turn to one side the palm of your hand will rev the throttle. That's a bad thing if the clutch is out. I've since bought a euro throttle housing and the flip-lever throttle lock for my Roadster. If you still want a throttle rocker I'll give you mine for the price of shipping it to you.

MarkF

I appreciate the feed back and I do own the Throttle Rocker now. I was more curious about the "Wrist Rests", which are the knurled bar ends that help hold the throttle at position by tightening against throttle. I have seen them in Bob's BMW magazine.
Thanks
Fernando

Another advantage to the throttle rocker wrist rest is that you can easily keep the throttle on and cover the front brake for those situations that need extra caution, i.e. going through an intersection. I imagine that the friction wrist rests would allow this also. However your more likely to have the throttle open when braking, depending on how tight you have it set, which should only be enough to keep it in place and nothing more.

I find myself having to adjust the angle of the throttle rocker if I'm on the superslab.

I've had the Wrist Rest from Bob's and now I have the Throttlemeister. I like it better than the Wrist Rest because it releases in the same direction as the throttle turns to shut down. The Wrist Rest tightens as you turn the throttle off. Kind of irritating. It's a minor difference but but a difference that coould become a problem. I also liked the workmanship of the Throttlemeister better.

What I like about the Throttlemeister.

It improves the appearance of the bike

You operate it and the throttle together, when you get to speed you just tighten or lock the throttlemeister in place

Less effort on the left hand
*hand doesn't go to sleep as easy
*since you have equal effort on both grips the bike won't turn or drift when you do a head check

You can enjoy your ride more, since you won't be checking the speedometer and tach

Acts as a crude cruise control keeps the speed down

Throttlemeisters have to be worn in and adjusted.

There are two Throttlemeisters, one has a red ring around the bar end weight. The other has the red ring plus Throttlemeister, off and on in red lettering. I'm not talking about the left bar end weight.

The throttle will tighten or become harder to turn when you have the heated grips on.

To get the Throttlemeister to hold correctly, you will have some drag on the throttle return when the bike is cold. It has to be tight enough so that if you hit a bump it won't allow the throttle to close. Yes, I change gloves, adjust the zippers on my jacket, etc. This isn't a big issue on a K bike, but with the engine braking of a twin, it will slow you down fast.

Bike after next will have a lever lock on it. JON

Fernando Rubio said:
Looking for feed back on the Wrist Rests.
Am thinking of putting them on my 93-K1100LT and would like to hear both sides.
Thanks in advance.
Fernando:dunno

Can we assume you checked to see that your throttle housing isn't drilled for the BMW throttle screw?

If it is drilled - it's the best $7 you'll spend. I'd find it hard to ride a K bike without one. I have mine set for neutral throttle - it stays where I set it. Takes all the hold-open pressure off my wrist and makes it easy to modulate the engine.

See them on Ebay once in a while - brand new - one dealer sells out stuff that's apparently old or overstock on'debay..

Best,

Dark Cloud said:
W
The throttle will tighten or become harder to turn when you have the heated grips on.

To get the Throttlemeister to hold correctly, you will have some drag on the throttle return when the bike is cold. It has to be tight enough so that if you hit a bump it won't allow the throttle to close. Yes, I change gloves, adjust the zippers on my jacket, etc. This isn't a big issue on a K bike, but with the engine braking of a twin, it will slow you down fast.

I have no drag when the Throttlemeister is full off. I have it adjusted so 1/4 turn is required with cold grips and 1/8 turn with heated grips on. In the full off position there is day light between the throttle and Throttlemeister.

I also have a Throttle Rocker which is great. I only activate the T'meister when I need to stretch my hand or use my right hand.

Re: Re: Wrist rests

deilenberger said:
Can we assume you checked to see that your throttle housing isn't drilled for the BMW throttle screw?

If it is drilled - it's the best $7 you'll spend. I'd find it hard to ride a K bike without one. I have mine set for neutral throttle - it stays where I set it. Takes all the hold-open pressure off my wrist and makes it easy to modulate the engine.

See them on Ebay once in a while - brand new - one dealer sells out stuff that's apparently old or overstock on'debay..

Best,

I like my lever type throttle lock. A&S BMW Motorcyceshttp://www.ascycles.com/ have them for about $40. Or you can get the screw type on e-bay for about $15.

It works, but I would really like a Metric Bike type throttle lock like I used to have on my 82 Yamaha Turbo. But they are hard to find for BMW K bikes.

Jim

:idea

I put 150,000 miles on a Wrist Rest

I put a Wrist Rest on my '91 K100RS shortly after I bought it. I pulled it off, cleaned and re-lubed it at 100,000 miles and it performed flawlessly until I retired the bike last fall. I ended up selling it on Ebay for more than it cost me.
I think it's a very elegant solution to the throttle control problem and would recommend it to anyone. I liked its looks because it didn't stand out a some kind of goofy aftermarket add-on.
The only thing I've ever used that surpasses it is the electronic cruise control on my new K1200GT, but then that's a different story.
Bottom line: the Wrist Rest is a good product that works well and looks good on the bike.

Wrist rest feedback

Thanks to all of you for your responses.
No, the bike does not have the drilled hole for the BMW flip lever.
I am going to try the Throttlemeister and use it on longer trips, but will continue to use the Throttle Rocker on shorter trips. I believe for those of you that find the Throttle Rocker to be in the way is not only the position it is placed on the grip, but also the size of the hand/fingers. As to the Rocker slipping, I believe it because it will loose its "grip" as it ages as well as the diameter of the grip will affect the fit. I have tried placing them in the freezer, as has been suggested, and all though it did help it did not last long. So you can add a little shimming such as old inner tube piece, and will work. But the best fix is just buy another and put the used one on the other side and have dual Rockers.
Thanks again and if you are ever in the Madison, Indiana area look me up.:clap

Re: Re: Throttle Rocker

MarkF said:
I had one, hated it. Set it up to be comfortable on the highway but when your in town or parking lots when you turn to one side the palm of your hand will rev the throttle. That's a bad thing if the clutch is out. I've since bought a euro throttle housing and the flip-lever throttle lock for my Roadster. If you still want a throttle rocker I'll give you mine for the price of shipping it to you.

MarkF

Someone replied to me but I lost your email. I'm sorry. Please try again.

Throttlemeister

Fernando,

I've been using one of those Throttle rocker/wrist rests for years. While in Daytona last week I had a throttle meister installed on my 87 K75 just before I left for the 1950 mile ride home to Denver. What a difference!

As others mentioned, the wrist rest/throttle rockers work well, but require fiddling to get them seet right for whatever speed you are travelling, and then they are a nuisance when you get off the highway.

The Throttle meister took just a little getting used to, but Gawd! was it nice to be able to remove my right hand and shake it out while riding that long distance. (Daytona to Denver, 931 miles on day one and 921 on day two).

Depending upon you model, you can use one of those Flip-a-levers that screws in to the underside of your throttle housing. The threaded hole is already there. They cost about $30. You might alos find one of the older style "Bolts" that go in to the same hole and accomplish the same thing.

I actually have two of those Flip-a-levers and one of those "bolts" sitting on a shelf in my garage. It is a long story why I spent $110 on the Throttlemeister and did not use the others.

If you decide that you want to go with one of those, I'd be happy to part with one for less than the cost you'll pay for a new one. My one concern with the flip-a-lever is that depending upon how your handlebars are set up it is possible that the flip-a-lever could strike your gas tank at full right-hand handlebar lock.

Hope that helps,

Dan K.
denver

>If it is drilled - it's the best $7 you'll spend. I'd find it hard to ride a K bike without one.

That's even a waste of $7. Find the proper size O-ring and put it between the throttle grip and the bar end. Some folks put a nylon zip-tie around the O-ring to ease the removing of it when they don't want to use it. Me, I just roll up up and onto the grip for safe keeping until I want to use it again.
F650s have a great feature in that the O-ring for the dipstick is the perfect size.

dlearl said:
>If it is drilled - it's the best $7 you'll spend. I'd find it hard to ride a K bike without one.

That's even a waste of $7. Find the proper size O-ring and put it between the throttle grip and the bar end. Some folks put a nylon zip-tie around the O-ring to ease the removing of it when they don't want to use it. Me, I just roll up up and onto the grip for safe keeping until I want to use it again.
F650s have a great feature in that the O-ring for the dipstick is the perfect size.

David - I think you didn't understand.

I use the lock ALL the time. It is never off. It is always adjusted for a neutral throttle - something that is hard to difficult to do with an O ring. The screw allows a very precise adjustment (it's actually a spring loaded nylon plunger that does the drag). And I'll say again "it's the best $7 you'll spend."

Cramp Buster Rules!

A self-described "patent geek" did a little research about the patent issue and supplied the following info wrt Throttle Rocker...

A little Internet research revelealed that the dispute was with a company called Rykel, of Mendon, Oregon. Here is where it gets strange: If you go to Rykel's site, you will find that they list the exact same patent number as Throttle Rocker as the patent on their invention, the Cramp Buster. Since the patent lists a Grants Pass, OR address for both the inventor and Rykel's address is in Grants Pass, I have to conclude that they invented the d*mn thing. I don't know why Throttle Rocker would claim that patent number 4,875,386 protected their product. My guess is some sort of licensing agreement gone awry.

Last edited:
Got bike back on Saturday and could not belive the difference with the Throttlemeister, it is a great addition and am looking forward to using it this season.
Thanks again to all that responded to my original thread.
Fernando:clap

deilenberger said:
David - I think you didn't understand.

I use the lock ALL the time. It is never off. It is always adjusted for a neutral throttle - something that is hard to difficult to do with an O ring. The screw allows a very precise adjustment (it's actually a spring loaded nylon plunger that does the drag). And I'll say again "it's the best $7 you'll spend."

And I use the throttle lock on my K75 all the time as well. The throttle meister I bought for my Triumph I find a little more diffficult to find that "neutral position" you describe, (not to mention the tension changes with temps) but I use it any time I'm "droning". Then I found out that an O-ring does virtually the same thing for 5?ó. I wasn't advising anyone WITH a solution to abandon it for an O-ring. But for anyone LOOKING for a solution, an O-ring is a cheap and easy way to go. (But I'll admit it's really lacking in the 'trick' dept.!)

Back