Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting Skunked, and dealing with the disappointment....

screwtop

Getting Skunked, and dealing with the disappointment....

Posting a new thread..........It's like casting a line with your favorite fly, sitting in a tree stand waiting for that big buck that never shows, or sending out 100 copies of your resume for that first job opportunity.

Will you get any hits?..........or will you get SKUNKED??

You know, that sinking feeling in your chest when you look to see if anyone's responded to your post, and you see the goose-egg (0), nada, zilch, the null set?

Having been skunked, I'm developing some thicker skin. But early on, it was hard to deal with. Usually, I withdrew.........stayed off the forum for a couple of days until the ill-fated post faded into oblivion. Now, I just don't give a ****.

But I still love you guys/gals.

So, safe riding all. Have a good weekend (even if your splines fail or your final drives take a dump).

I was taught that not all things in life are fare. Please do not be disappointed. You just need to be more creative. Also we are not allowed to use swear words. I like to throw curves at folks on the forum. The forum is a great tool. It is nice to keep in touch with my extended family.

Take Care and Keep Your Chin Up.
    Pat Carol
    BMW Touring Club Detroit, Ambassador
    BMWMOAF, Past Director
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote
    2017 National Rally Co-Chair, Salt Lake City, Utah

REBECCAV
    Quote Originally Posted by screwtop View Post
    Posting a new thread..........It's like casting a line with your favorite fly, sitting in a tree stand waiting for that big buck that never shows, or sending out 100 copies of your resume for that first job opportunity.

Will you get any hits?..........or will you get SKUNKED??

You know, that sinking feeling in your chest when you look to see if anyone's responded to your post, and you see the goose-egg (0), nada, zilch, the null set?

Having been skunked, I'm developing some thicker skin. But early on, it was hard to deal with. Usually, I withdrew.........stayed off the forum for a couple of days until the ill-fated post faded into oblivion. Now, I just don't give a ****.

But I still love you guys/gals.

So, safe riding all. Have a good weekend (even if your splines fail or your final drives take a dump).
    Posting to make sure that you don't get skunked.....

REBECCAV
    Damn! PC beat me to the first post!!!

BUBBAZANETTI
    worse than a (0)(something) post is being a thread killer. 30, 40, 50 posts in then you say something which you don't think is that dumb and bye bye thread.

(please let this thing sink of the board now)

belquar
    You have started 58 threads and been skunked on 5.

I have started 80 threads and been skunked on 8.

We have a similar batting average.

I fixed yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    worse than a (0)(something) post is being a thread killer. 30, 40, 50 posts in then you say something which you don't think is that dumb and bye bye thread.

(please let this thing sink of the board now)

That's me. Natural born thread killer.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

REBECCAV
    Dang! 7 threads started within the last 24 hours!

I guess that's what we get for encouraging you.

screwtop
    Thanks all for the de-skunkings.

Belquar, my average looks pretty good now. Life's easier when ya can laugh at yourself. I'm just getting sore from laughing.

belquar
    Quote Originally Posted by screwtop View Post
    Thanks all for the de-skunkings.

Belquar, my average looks pretty good now. Life's easier when ya can laugh at yourself. I'm just getting sore from laughing.
    My pleasure. It was quiet last night at work. Have a good weekend.

SNC1923
    This is pretty interesting. . . . I never ran the stats before. I'm 47/2 in skunksville. My threads are all pretty pedestrian, though. I'm not out on the edge like you anarchists.

But I've also been a thread-killer. Thanks Bubba for putting a name to that vague phenomenon that I fear so greatly. . . .

I don't think I've ever been the cause of something being sent to the doghouse.

Guilty as charged

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    But I've also been a thread-killer. Thanks Bubba for putting a name to that vague phenomenon that I fear so greatly. . . .

On both counts

belquar
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    This is pretty interesting. . . . I never ran the stats before. I'm 47/2 in skunksville. My threads are all pretty pedestrian, though. I'm not out on the edge like you anarchists.

Something to shoot for Tom.

Retired User
    [QUOTE=BubbaZanetti;242077]worse than a (0)(something) post is being a thread killer. 30, 40, 50 posts in then you say something which you don't think is that dumb and bye bye thread.

I only come around to the forum sporadically, but it's nice to know that someone with 100 times as many posts has experienced the phenomenon of being the last one on the thread time after time. It doesn't eliminate the possibility that my posts are off the mark or just plain dumb...but it gives me the courage to go on(unless this thread dies here). Thanks for sharing.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    2015 R1200RT

Retired User
    [QUOTE=BubbaZanetti;242077]worse than a (0)(something) post is being a thread killer. 30, 40, 50 posts in then you say something which you don't think is that dumb and bye bye thread.

Don't know why my QUOTES don't come out in nice little boxes like the rest of you. Must be why my posts kill threads. I had better get my teenaged son to help me on this.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    2015 R1200RT