• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My NYC ride report, and, no, its not on a motorcycle......

B

BUBBAZANETTI

ok, so......as ride reports go, it's pretty "minimal" um, lets see, maybe 15 miles, but in this city, fifteen miles on a bicycle is like an iron butt and um, an iron butt with gross "milk water" being sprayed on you by passing trucks and and iron butt with lots of people trying to open car doors into you and pull out in front of you and um, running lots and lots of red lights

anywho, to the report! i had a few extra minutes today and didn't want you all thinking i had died or something. i tried, as always, to have the bike in some shots:bikes

so i figured i'd use this opportunity to show you kids my new neighborhood, etc.
Greenpoint NYC, lets see, it's in Brooklyn, it's real Polish, the signs near my mailbox are in Polish and i think say something about not smoking in the hallways, but yeah, lots of kielbasa, etc.......

198173115-M.jpg

Welcome (this is the crappy warehouse part down near the East River)

198172974-M.jpg

I live on the second floor of the building at the extreme right, above the HR Block if you can read it. This is the center of the neighborhood and as such is the busiest street in area. The buses stop right in front of my place, all the time, 2 times, every hour from 1am-6am, and that is the least frequently they stop :(

198172735-M.jpg

Here's the park down the street, one of the larger parks in Brooklyn, if you look carefully you can see the Empire State building poking out of the trees, sometimes this building looks like the biggest thing in the world, other times not. Funny that in a city like New York, the tallest, most imposing building in the city is nearly 80 years old, whereas there are now dozens of taller buildings in much smaller cities around the world.

198172208-M.jpg

Right around the corner from the park is Matchless, its a cafe racer themed bar that has a bike night on Mondays. I swung by this past week and there was some really cool stuff, Ducs, old Triumphs and BSAs, some sorta rare 80s Japanese stuff and a Rockster

198172595-M.jpg

this was right up the street, looks like it'd been there a while, the master cylinder is laying on the front fender for some unknown reason, no license plate either

198173036-M.jpg

and just a little further i came across this neat custom. to me this is what a custom bike should look like, sorta flat tracker, sorta chopper, skinny tires and not a lot of "shine"

198173165-M.jpg

Back at the waterfront again, and a panorama of Manhattan. Empire State to the left. The Chrysler and former Pan Am (Met Life now i think) are center. The square one to the right is the UN building where I will hopefully be starting work next week. A paperwork snafu kept me from reporting for duty this week, oh well...........

198172512-M.jpg

Here is the last image from Greenpoint. McCarren pool was the largest public pool in the city, quite possibly in the country when it opened in the 1930s. It is now a concert venue after being abandoned for a long time. it's really big, probably the size of 5 or 6 Olympic sized pools.

198173577-M.jpg

A bit further afield (about 5 miles from my house) is Green-Wood Cemetery, one of the biggest in the city and home to over 500,000 graves, some of them on a scale i've never seen before in my life. The one above is easily 40-50 feet tall. I walked around for 2 hours, got lost and only covered about 10 percent of the place. I've always found cemeteries interesting mostly from a historic prospective, lots of famous people in this one, but also because they're everything i want a park to be, quiet, no kids, etc....... The rest of the photos are just from there, the last one being the grave of the founder of the ASPCA.

198173659-M.jpg

bear

198173697-M.jpg

usually you see a few of these in a cemetery, there were easily hundreds if not thousands

198173723-M.jpg

absolutely huge, biggest mosaulem i've ever seen cept for Grants Tomb

198173756-M.jpg

a bit odd

Bubba,

Thanks for the tour of your new stomping grounds. Really interesting. . . . Big move, yeah? I hope you'll post more and let us know what's happening. Glad to know you're still on two wheels, albeit not motorized. Keep us posted.:wave

Great Report, Newbie! :thumb

Green-Wood Cemetery is an amazing place. Designed by Vaux and Olmstead the same designers of Central and Prospect Parks as well as the Greenways, (Eastern and Ocean Parkways).

Do some more exploring in Prospect Park if you can. There's a great little 19th C. Quaker Cemetery hidden in the woods in the middle (we used to truck out there in the middle of the night on Halloweens, when I was a teen). Prospect Hill, the highest point in Brooklyn, overlooks Battle Pass where the Battle of Long Island took place during the Revolutionary War.

What a great Ride Report, BubbaZanetti!

I've been very fortunate to have traveled a good bit of the US and a smattering of the world during the last 15-20 years of my career. However, this summer was the first time I spent a weekend in NYC. Being from the Midwest, a true suburbanite, and being cynical anyway, I've always had a very cynical attitude toward all things New York. However, the weekend I spend in The City was one of the greatest weekends in my life, and I truly know now why NYC is The Greatest City in the WorldÔäó.

We stayed at the Hilton New York, at 54th and 7th, just a couple of blocks from Broadway, Central Park, Manhattan BMW, Carnegie Deli and 75,291 Starbucks. Had drinks in SoHo, dinner near Union Square, coffee in Central Park, a pastrami on rye at Carnegie Deli that was bigger than my head, more drinks, more coffee, another dinner at Bar Americain (one of Bobby Flay's joints), a ride on the Staten Island Ferry, and "Express 102" to the Empire State Building (well worth the extra $15!).

I <3 NY! (Still hate the Yankees, though :hide )

However, the weekend I spend in The City was one of the greatest weekends in my life, and I truly know now why NYC is The Greatest City in the WorldÔäó.
++1 That's what I'm sayin'! ;)

Hijack: PM me next time you're over in our burgh, PA. Lived here for 46 years and know all the great places. :clap

++1 That's what I'm sayin'! ;)

Hijack: PM me next time you're over in our burgh, PA. Lived here for 46 years and know all the great places. :clap
I appreciate the invitation!

The key to my enjoyment was that my girlfriend works for a Lawn Guyland-based firm, and travels to NYC very frequently. She did most of the planning for the trip, and we had her friends from work to hang out with. That's not to say that one could not discover the inner richness of NYC alone, but it's a lot easier when you have a learned guide.

Spent part of a day out on Long Island, too, mostly at the Republic Airport.

Nyc

Thanks Bubba. How come that girl in the yellow pants was looking at you kinda funny? :brow

How do you like living there so far?

Rinty

Thanks for sharing your new world.

My short visit to NYC left me feeling breathless. I sure understand the draw of that magical place.

But only for a visit. Thanks for helping us see how it is to live there.

Voni
sMiling in Big Bend, TX
ONE person per square mile

I forgot to ask. Can you cruise the Brooklyn Brewery and tell me how it is?

Thanks,
Ian

Back