• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW for inseam-challenged rider

C

critter

I've owned and ridden many different bikes over the past 50 years, but never could find a BMW with a low enough seat to be comfortable on. I see many stopped with just their toes touching....that's not for me. Does anyone know of a way to lower the seat/bike on any BMW to 28" without destroying its handling etc?
Desperate to own a Beemer before they cart me off to the "home"

BMW R1200 C or CLC

Thanks for the tip; what is the seat height on a R 1200 CLC or C? I haven't seen any used bikes of that type around Vermont.

The new low seat option on the F800 is a BMW first.

Down to 760mm, or UNDER 30" seat height.

+1 for the C. One of the few I can flat foot.

1150R is another one, but they don't make them any more.

1200R wasn't too bad, I'm comfy enough now that being on the balls of my feet doesn't bother me too much.

I would like to have a CLC, but I don't have the upper body strength to manuever it around at slow speeds.

And if you can find a factory lowered F650GS, try it as well.

Dee

Thanks for the tip; what is the seat height on a R 1200 CLC or C? I haven't seen any used bikes of that type around Vermont.

Its just a hair over 29" on the C. I think the CLC is closer to 31. But I could be wrong about the CLC.

The seat height is a dimension. The width of the seat greatly affects if you can "flat foot it" or not. I have a 30" inseam, on my CL I can easily flat foot it without locking my knees or sliding forward on the seat.

JON

Dave's '05 R1200RT with the low seat option in the low position allows me to flat foot his bike. I have a 28" inseam. Not sure which other models have different seat height options, but it might be worth asking your local dealer (or doing a little on-line research!)

Cheryl

Lower BMW Bikes

I have a 28 inch inseam and ride a R1200C with the regular seat at 29.1 inches. I can almost flat foot and I keep my legs sraight down during stops. The R1200C does have a higher center of gravity than most typical V-Twin cruisers. The R1200CL is just over 30 inches. There are some options which you can consider:
-The low profile seat for the R1200C which is thinner and may be for shorter rides or commutes.
-Wilbur Shocks can be purchased and installed to lower the R1200C or other bikes. Anotehr company is Works Performance Products, Inc., (818) 701-1010 ext 30, which can mak custom length shocks. Do keep in mind that when you (plus passenger) sit on the bike it will go down some. The side stand will have to be shortened to deploy.
-Custom shocks also mean that other models that looked like "Mount Everest" to me before are conquerable. A good example is R1200GS. The latter has a low seat option and the shocks can take it down 2 more inches.

BMW owners have performed lowering over the years. A R1200C is great bike start with. There are lowered F650ST or F650CS which are at the lowest price point are great commuters. BMW dealers use them as trusty loaners.

Try finding a R1200C owner in your area through this board and local chapter boards.

5"4'

I am under 5"5" and have a 95 R1100R in the lowest seat position and I feel comfortable at the lights. It is for sale by the way. I have put 70,000 miles on it.

Also 5'4" with 28" inseam

With an abbreviated height of 5'4" and inseam of 28", I ride a 1996 R1100RS with the seat in the lowest position. For two feet down, the best I can do is the balls of my feet, but if I lean the bike over just a hair, I can get one foot flat.

I have just learned that this is the way it is, and I choose my parking spots carefully. Luckily I am strong enough to handle the bike most of the time if it starts to tip, but the best money spent on this bike was the hard plastic engine guards which have earned their keep.

I have this discussion a lot and many other shorter riders have suggested getting taller boots rather than messing with the ride height which may have a negative effect on handling and the ability to get it on the center stand.

I have considered having the seat foam cut to make it more narrow at the front which would also help in getting both outriggers to touch down, but I've had this bike for 11 years and I've just learned that one flat foot and two tires make a decent enough tripod most of the time.

Good luck. -Paul

30" inseam

I have an '03 K1200RS. The low seat position is advertised at 30.3 inches, but I was able to flatfoot it. After putting on a Rick Mayer seat for the comfort factor, I can bend my knees while flatfooted. I bought this bike because I was able to sit on it with both feet comfortably on the ground. Try one.

Tom

and i know several riders in the 5'3" range riding R1100S models. Have Rick Mayer fix the seat, maybe have Ohlins or Wilbers build shocks to shorter specs, and you should be good to go. btw- i have a 30" inseam, and ride a R11S with Rick Mayer saddle, standard length shocks and short torque arm (raises seat height 1"), and i can flat foot it sans boots (not that i ride that way, i'm just sayin').
as mentioned previously, it's often the width that matters more than the height of the saddle. the R1100S has a seat that is narrower than most.

Seat re-upholstery

I'm about to have my seat re-upholstered and the foam re-shaped to enable my 28" inseam a more comfortable resting experience. I had thought about this; should I have the forks cut? should I change bike? Very nearly went low-rider, but couldn't bear to part with my '96 R1100RT.
I've noticed other's mentioning replacing shocks; if the seat adjustment doesn't work, $250, will it be cost effective to do this or should I consider a BMW with lower seat, bearing in mind I want a tourer?
Will keep you updated on the seat.

Back