• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do I scan a picture and post it?

kbasa

You have some pictures that you want to scan and add to your post. What to do, what to do?

Well, if you've got a scanner, here's some tips to make capturing your photos to an image and posting them easy.

First off, you need to have a scanner. If you've got a copy of Irfanview, you can go to File>Acquire and select your scanner.

From there, IrfanView will get the software that came with your scanner awake and ready to operate. I'm using an HP scanner here, but the general idea is universal.

Your scanner software will probably go through and take a rough scan of the entire area of its glass and return something that looks like this.

2523555-M.jpg

Most scanning interfaces (which is what you're looking at here) will allow you to select just a portion of that whole area. In the HP software, you just click on the upper left corner of the picture and drag a rectangle out until it gets to the bottom right. It'll show you that through some flashing dashed lines or something similar. Then, all the rest of the area will go gray to show you it's not going to scan that part. If you want to do some adjustment, you can drag the little rectangles on the frame around to fit the picture better. If you want to crop out some unwanted items in the photo, this is a good way to do it.

2523552-M.jpg

Tell the scanner to get busy by clicking send to scanner (at least in this Hewlett Packard example) and the image will wind up in IrfanView and the scanner interface will close.

Resize/Resample the picture so it's at 72dpi and about 300 across. See this thread for instructions to help you resize.

When you're done, make sure you save your picture somewhere where you can find it. I like to keep my pictures in My Documents in the My Pictures folder. I make new folders to keep them organized. For this one, I just made a folder called ~0 so it's at the top of the folder list.

2523554-M.jpg

Make sure you remember where you left the picture.

Now you can go to the MOA forum, make a post and attach your picture. The thread mentioned above talks about the mechanics of doing that. And then you'll be done! Here's the picture I scanned. That's MrsK on the left there. She was riding our VFR that day. The other folks are Steve Hancock and Jim O'Connor, fellow Yankee Beemers. We were riding in the hills to the east of Morro Bay that day.

2523551-M-1.jpg

Again, if you want to practice, use that thread - "How Do I Post a Picture?"

Have fun! Now you can get those pictures of the kids scanned to send to the family!

Here I go again

If this comes through it should be a picture of one of the Tall Ships at the convention In Grand Haven MI. On the Lake Michigan.

Attachments

• scanimage001.jpg
    scanimage001.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 170
didn't come through

If this comes through and still has the image + all the background of the scanner what do I use to crop away the background and send only the pic. Thanks again

Attachments

• scanimage002.jpg
    scanimage002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 165
Cropping, eh?

In IrfanView, there's a way to select a portion of the image and crop it.

Put your cursor on the upper left corner of the photo and drag and pull down toward the lower right. You'll define a rectangle. Go up in the menu select Edit>Crop Selection. When you click it, all the excess area (that you should have cut out when you scanned it. ;) ) will magically disappear.

Save it and then you can attach it.

Dave

Try again

This is a pic of my son on his 02 GSXR1000R at the little Talledega racepark in Alabama. It was track day October 03 and he was getting some practice time in with his bike and his racing buddies from team Yamaha and Suzuki.:bliss

Attachments

• scanimage001.jpg
    scanimage001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 158
Another test - to post this on my thread

This is a picture of Great Haul I, Redmond '01, pulling out of Portland on Interstate 84

Can I insert from my computer?

I have many images on my computer. I can resize them, no sweat. But then can they be pasted into a reply or does the image have to go to an internet site and then linked to this site?

Have been trying to get an image on MOA forum for weeks but with no success.

Paul

Paul, you can only attach one image per post if you are attachng it to the post itself. Also do not preview the post.

If you want to put up lots of pictures in a single post then an external host is needed, like SmugMug.

Right!

Understand all of the directions, cameras and scanners. Was trying to post one picture which is on my desktop.

When I try the insert image button it defaults to a http box indicating it wants a web address to go and get the image. That is what caused my comment. I understand all the directions except how do I indicate my computer desktop as an HTTP address?

Was looking for a simple copy and paste solution. Is there a forum location, storage bin, where one sends an image and then follows these directions. The frustrating part is that it seems to easy for the rest of the crowd. :bottle

Am headed to New Zealand next week and would like to share images with group.

Thanks for reply.

you want to click the "manage attachments" button and use that to upload the image file.

don't preview! :thumb

Almost there!

I found the button and now will try to upload using the manage attachments button.

Attachments

• Daffy.jpg
    Daffy.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 17
Back