• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheel straightening shops in CA ??

KCinSB

Well, I was always wondering how wheels get bent, now I are one. Riding on new asphalt, about 50, and hit the edge of a second layer straight on...HARD! :cry When I checked, both sides of the front rim are spread enough to see easily, but holding air. So, I am interested in any recommendations or cautions on wheel repair. Also hoping to find a shop on Left coast if possible. KC

I have not used them for wheel straightening, but I've had very good experiences getting vintage bike frames straightened/repaired, with The Frame Man in Sacto. He advertises wheel work as well, and I would expect him to be able to do a good job.

I straightened mine with a humongous vise and being careful not to scratch the paint. I had about 3/16 inch of flange deformation on both sides.

Mine is deformed 3/16" or less, and I was thinking about doing it myself too. I guess one thing I'm worried about is getting the place that bent to be the place that moves back into shape, and not the area next to it. Since work hardening causes metal to be harder after 'worked' or bent, the metal is more likely to bend some other place next time. Ever try to bend a coat hanger back straight after bent 90 deg? It's almost impossible to do at the same point of original bend. Maybe I worry too much.... :uhoh KC

Mine is deformed 3/16" or less, and I was thinking about doing it myself too. I guess one thing I'm worried about is getting the place that bent to be the place that moves back into shape, and not the area next to it. Since work hardening causes metal to be harder after 'worked' or bent, the metal is more likely to bend some other place next time. Ever try to bend a coat hanger back straight after bent 90 deg? It's almost impossible to do at the same point of original bend. Maybe I worry too much.... :uhoh KC

I don't think this alloy work hardens. The main trick is to support it in a manner that deforms things back without over bending the opposite side. A lot of steel plates and tape etc worked well for me. I have no pictures though. I just deflated the tire.

Whatever, don't use any hammer impacts or or other speedy methods. A vise is perfect providing you keep precise track of how far you tighten it. It takes a surprising amount of force - almost as much as the vise could deliver.

I had to do both the front and the rear rims - on both sides of an R1100RT. It came out perfectly.

Call Walt at the Frame Man in Sacto..he'll not only get the kinks out but perfectly align the thing too.

The Frame Man all the way. He did my Ducati rim and it was perfect. His prices aren't too high either. If it's too bad to repair or it cracks during repair he will not charge you. I wouldn't think about messing with it myself.

Back