• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'93 K1100RS: considering buying...any advice?

hydranyc

hello,

i'm looking into a used '93 K1100RS with 22,000 mi.
i've owned boxer's now and before and only test ridden a k once before so i don't know very much about these beemer.

any advice as what to look for, maintenace issue's for this model and mileage, etc.

thanks in advance...

Header bolts need to be checked for tightness once in a while, prone to coming loose I hear. Splines need serviced at about 40K or so. How was it maintained? If it was by the book you have no worries. They're pretty bullet proof.
I don't know what kind of climate you live in but be advised that you are very protected by the fairing and A LOT of heat comes up around and through the tank! It feels good when it's cold but over 90 it can be stifling.:D

Last edited:
The tank is aluminum and gets hot in the summer sun just like the hood of a parked car. I have a K100RS, predecessor to the K1100RS, and I have never noticed excessive heat that so many talk about. The bike is rock solid and almost bullet proof.

The K1100RS is a great bike. If I were in the market for another BMW K bike, the K1100RS would be my first choice.

Go for it!!

Hydranyc, Go for it! That is low miles for the bike. I have a '93, bought 2 years ago with 36K. It's been great! I will echo the heat issue, especially here W. coast, but I am smiling too much to give that a negative. :D I will also tell you that the speedo problems you hear about can be a real pain, mine has died, but with help from this board I was able to get it working again. Most shops are not working them now. My issue was a loose trigger ring in the final drive. Zoom Zoom, HOWL... is not just Mazda! KC

Back