• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How do I post a picture? Try 2mb or less sizing

Resize Photo Problem

OK, so you've got some cool pictures from that nifty digital camera, but you can't get them posted here because they're too big.

So how the heck do you get them to a size that'll allow you to post?

1. Get yourself a copy of IrfanView. It's free and you can get it at www.irfanview.com.

2. Fire up Irfanview and open your image.
2489242-M.jpg

3. Select Image>Resize & Resample
2489244-M.jpg

4. Select 72dpi and a size of about 300dpi across or so. Be sure to leave the little "preserve aspect ratio" box checked so your image doesn't get distorted.
2489243-M.jpg

5. Save your photo using File>Save As. This will keep you from changing your original file and will give you a nice one to put up on the web.

6. When you post your message, use the Attach File item, but don't preview your message! vBulletin, our forum software, will drop your attachment if you do.

Want to practice? Use this thread to do that. We'll keep it stickied so it's always here.

Well, I followed the great directions but when the posted photo is enlarged it blows apart the pixs and looks distorted. Wondering what I'm doing wrong and/or not doing? Can anyone make suggestions? Thanks!

It might be the resolution of the picture you're starting with. I think the instructions you've quoted assume that you have a high resolution picture, say one that is 1 or 2Mb big. If the picture is only 10-15Kb big, then it might be that the picture is getting "expanded" too much.

Notice in Step 4, it says "Current Size is 1600 x 1200 pixels" and the "New Size is 300 x 225 pixels". What does your say?

Well, I followed the great directions but when the posted photo is enlarged it blows apart the pixs and looks distorted. Wondering what I'm doing wrong and/or not doing? Can anyone make suggestions? Thanks!
Well..first...welcome to the forum. You mention "the posted photo" as it's your first post, I didn't see the first attempt. By any chance did you-
6. When you post your message, use the Attach File item, but don't preview your message! vBulletin, our forum software, will drop your attachment if you do.
Don't be afraid to try a post, if you don't like it or it doesn't work out, you can delete it. It's easier and the quality is better if you are trying to make a large picture small-rather than the other way around. Good luck, Gary

It might be the resolution of the picture you're starting with. I think the instructions you've quoted assume that you have a high resolution picture, say one that is 1 or 2Mb big. If the picture is only 10-15Kb big, then it might be that the picture is getting "expanded" too much.

Notice in Step 4, it says "Current Size is 1600 x 1200 pixels" and the "New Size is 300 x 225 pixels". What does your say?

Let's see... the disk size is 678.31KB and the Memory size is 5.49MB 180 DPI.

When I followed the instructions it was sized to 300x225 at 72DPI.

The photo that I was trying to post were for a classified add. I'll try to post another photo

Attachments

• Utah 9-2011 006.jpg
    Utah 9-2011 006.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 45
Well..first...welcome to the forum. You mention "the posted photo" as it's your first post, I didn't see the first attempt. By any chance did you-
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"
[COLOR="royalblue"]

Don't be afraid to try a post, if you don't like it or it doesn't work out, you can delete it. It's easier and the quality is better if you are trying to make a large picture small-rather than the other way around. Good luck, Gary

Thanks for the welcome...:wave
I just posted another photo and it went through without any problems.
I'll try to add photo's to an add that I'm listing and see how they trun out.
Thanks!

profile vs avatar

Thanks Kurt, I think I was actually not understanding that there is a difference between avatar and profile picture. I think I have got it now.

Back