Thread: Gas Tank Leaking??

Gas Tank Leaking??

First real look under the hood of my '87 K75 revealed that the two rubber fuel lines coming from the gas tank were a little cracked. Seemed like a simple job.

Two hours later I had the bodywork off, airbox out, fuel everywhere......and learning alot about my bike.

Overall everything turned out fine, but I noticed that the gas tank was wet with fuel near the rear posts (c-clip post on left rear of gas tank-underside) when I went to re-install it. The gas tank was sitting on a towel (on the floor of my garage) next to my work for about 2 hours. I really couldn't determine if the gas dripped from somewhere else, or if these posts are prone to cracking???

Do the underside gas tank posts cause leaking issues??? I am watching the area closely, but everything is so new to me on this bike that I'd like to hear if others have noticed this same situation.

Thanks,
    Mark J

BUDDINGGEEZER

Gas Tank Leak

I have a '87 K100LT that had a leak in the tank on the lower left seam. PO had bought the bike from a salvage company and let sit on the side stand for 3 years. Evidentley trash in the tank settled in the seam and corroded it. I had 3 pinhead leaks that were under the paint. I fixed 2 on each side of the seam and liked to went crasy trying to figure out why it was still wet. A pinhole leak under the paint further up the seam.

I groung the paint down to the aluminum and repaired with JB Weld Quick. No leaks for nearly a year, 8000 miles, Air temperature extremes of 20-106 degrees. Probably 130 or greater tank degrees when running in really hot weather.

I have read on this forum where the mounting tabs do crack under load on the very earlier K models.

Ralph Sims

You can hear anything but money rattlin' and meat fryin'.

kayseventyfive
    Quote Originally Posted by mjanulis View Post

Do the underside gas tank posts cause leaking issues??? I am watching the area closely, but everything is so new to me on this bike that I'd like to hear if others have noticed this same situation.

Thanks,
    Mark J
    Mine leaks at the weld top front.

You can get the tank TIG or MIG welded by a local welder.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool