• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Key Largo, Prudhoe and Westfest

• Thread starter RIDERR1150GSADV
  • Start date
Along for the ride...

Great ride report, Oskar! Thanks for bringing us along for the big adventure. I was actually out in Colorado on my way to Lake Tahoe during some of the same days as you. Probably passed each other on some of the spectacular twisties. Are you going to the Winter Rally again this year? Hope to see you there and hear some more stories about the trip. Cheers.

Mike

Thanks for reading guys!! :D

If possible I will go to the Winter-rally as that is a nice rally too, and hopefully it will be cooler to ride in. At the moment I am not liking the weather we have....:cry

I am Heading toward Key West 12-29-07

Any suggestions for a interesting ride in Florida. I am leaving Memphis on 12-29-07 and heading south for warm weather using Key West as a target.

What would be fun route riding a r1200gs? Interesting places to stay? Things to do: Everglades tour........

Thanks Randy

"...The more I travel, the more I realize that people are basically the same everywhere. We all want friends, family and happiness and we all need the same basics of life. What we do for other people is what defines our lives and makes us human. People will never be remembered for how much material possessions they owned in life, but for what they did for others. Travel, IMHO, brings the best out of people. "

Your final thoughts are interesting. Your insight is something that comes with interaction with good people.
Thank you for an entertaining report.

Any suggestions for a interesting ride in Florida. I am leaving Memphis on 12-29-07 and heading south for warm weather using Key West as a target.

What would be fun route riding a r1200gs? Interesting places to stay? Things to do: Everglades tour........

Thanks Randy

The best way to see any State is by the back roads and that includes Florida. If you can take some of those roads for the time you have to travel it would be great. Lake Okeechobee is a must see. The road around it is cool and has little traffic. When you get to Palm Beach County and happen to be on the Turnpike, stay on it until the very end. DO NOT get on I-95 south of Palm Beach, it sucks :banghead .
My folks live in Ft. Lauderdale area and I take Krome Ave through Homestead south and than ride Card Sound Road. A pit stop at Alabama Jack's is cool and the road is less traveled. The 18 Mile Stretch is under construction (this road is the one going straight south from Florida City)
Everglades Tours are good at Billy Swamp Safari on the buggies, the best air boat trips are the small boats on US 41 or in Everglades City. Don't get on a air boat with the capacity of a greyhound bus :sick
If you have more questions lemme know..:)

"...The more I travel, the more I realize that people are basically the same everywhere. We all want friends, family and happiness and we all need the same basics of life. What we do for other people is what defines our lives and makes us human. People will never be remembered for how much material possessions they owned in life, but for what they did for others. Travel, IMHO, brings the best out of people. "

Your final thoughts are interesting. Your insight is something that comes with interaction with good people.
Thank you for an entertaining report.

Thank you!! :D

A great report

I have to admit that I missed this report entirely so I am glad to see it resurface. I have been reading the "prose" and cons about posting.

I wonder how many other great reports I missed? Our forum might be improved if, after a given period of time, reports like these could be cataloged by state. Then I could search from Alabama to Wyoming. The might also be an overseas section so work by Franze, GlobalRider, Salcar and many others would not be lost.

I never expected to get to New Zealand and then one day a great adventure started in Auckland.

Yes, yes there is the search button but another way to find all the buried treasure would be helpful. :thumb

Last edited:
I have to admit that I missed this report entirely so I am glad to see it resurface. I have been reading the "prose" and cons about posting.

I wonder how many other great reports I missed? Our forum might be improved if, after a given period of time, reports like these could be cataloged by state. Then I could search from Alabama to Wyoming. The might also be an overseas section so work by Franze, GlobalRider, Salcar and many others would not be lost.

I never expected to get to New Zealand and then one day a great adventure started in Auckland.

Yes, yes there is the search button but another way to find all the buried treasure would be helpful. :thumb

I just saw this post, thanks for the bump Scott :) , and I too hope that more RR's will be posted on this forum. I like your idea Paul, that maybe one day RR's could be stored semi-permanently in a catagory by State.
I love reading other people's RR's, knowing that I too won't ever get to go to most places myself. To me it is the most important part of a forum, followed by tech advise.

It's not as though the threads disappear. :dunno

It's not as though the threads disappear. :dunno

They don't disappear but without the bump a real treasure while not gone would, I fear, have been forgotten.

Kbasa has referred a couple of times to a big change coming in September. Hopefully in the grand scheme of things there can be a different cataloging system.

A suggestion:

Stories sorted by state with one picture. For example:
arcticcircle.jpg

It would be hard to resist reading through this thread after seeing this shot. Each shot would be a thumbnail with a brief description. The description and the thumbnail would be provided by the author. For example:

arcticcircle-1.jpg

riderR1150GSAdv travels from Key Largo to Prudhoe Bay - a journey of 14.5K miles.

Hate to see real treasure buried even if it has not disappeared. Suggesting an idea which can be improved upon by Forum members.

[QUOTE

It would be hard to resist reading through this thread after seeing this shot. Each shot would be a thumbnail with a brief description. The description and the thumbnail would be provided by the author. For example:

arcticcircle-1.jpg

riderR1150GSAdv travels from Key Largo to Prudhoe Bay - a journey of 14.5K miles.

Hate to see real treasure buried even if it has not disappeared. Suggesting an idea which can be improved upon by Forum members
.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a good idea Paul has, a thumbnail shot with the author's brief description. I don't know how I missed this either, I'd been on the forum for two or three weeks......... As of this moment, I don't have any plans on doing a ride to Alaska, but, that could change in a year or two. At that point, it would be great to search out ALL the reports of guys who did the trip.

Now, the praise section. That is an incredible ride and a lot of work to get it all up on the Forum. I liked the details about where your stayed, got service, etc. All useful stuff for the next guy. Also, thought you had a nice clean look fully loaded

:clap Just a great trip report especially going through AK. I'll be going that way myself this June. If you ever decide to travel to either New Zealand or Australia, contact me. I have a blog up on both trips as I spent 4 months touring NZ and another 6 months in Oz on my 650GS.
Aloha

Thanks for the kind words and invitation for advice!!! This is what makes travel so worth it!! :bow

Back