• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200RT two up riding tricks?

G

gened12

Hi

Having just sold my 1200GS and traded for a new RT I was eager to take my SO for a ride on the new improved ride. She complained of heavy buffeting and nearly being ejected from the back seat! I raised the windshield to max and it seemed to have solved the problem somewhat.

Any suggestions to keep my sweetheart happy?

Thanks

Denis R1200Rt:brow

Creature Comforts For The 'SO'

Have an '05 R1200RT. To make the 'passenger experience' the best it could be, I did the following upgrades. Now I can't get her off the bike!

I replaced the original footpegs with a set of mini-floorboards (actually made for a GoldWing); much greater foot comfort, and ability to vary her foot position during long rides.

BMW trunk with backrest - no fear of 'rear ejection,' and resting against it opens up the space between rider and passenger and acommodates 'hands-free' riding on her part, which is more relaxing.

Sargent Seats - besides the long-mileage comfort I gained, these seats have proven very comfortable for the passenger as well.

A larger Cee Bailey windshield - creates a larger 'quiet zone' of calm air for both of us, and makes our intercom communication easier to understand at high speeds.

Last but not least, I use the 'Comfort" setting on the suspension when riding two-up, which seems to work out the best.

Good luck and enjoy the RT!

Similar here, but a top case for a backrest for her. When we're riding "briskly", she'll lean forward, but when we're just trolling along, she's got a place to lean back and relax. When I look in the mirrors, I can see that she's just got her hands on the tops of her legs. When she leans forward, she usually just puts her hands lightly on my hips so she can feel what I'm doing.

We also went with a CalSci shield, which is amazingly quiet, without having to be all the way up. In chilly weather, it allows both of us to sit in a bubble of fairly still air. (www.calsci.com)

We added an Autocom, which she really, really likes. Since she's been a rider, she knows when I'm "busy" and when I can talk. Having music on board is pretty pleasant, too.

For seating, we went with a Bill Mayer, which is outstanding. Rocky was able to retain the stock heat, while still customizing the seat. The rear seat is much more dished and comfortable for her.

No floorboards for us. She's a pretty active passenger, so she likes a peg when she needs to slide off the seat a bit behind me.

Thanks for the input; problem partially solved

Thanks for your input gents. I do have the big topcase with the backrest, the problem was mostly due to high wind buffeting. I had adjusted the windshield to get a little wind thinking that since I was not being blown off she would be OK too...

I tried riding at 70mph with the windscreen all the way up and that solved the buffeting issue. Now all I have to do is to find some peg hardware and she should be a happy camper!

Cheers

Denis 1:clap 200RT

KBasa,

How tall are you and your wife? I am interested in the idea of dishing the passenger seat so my wife has less issues sliding forward during moderate braking and perhaps helping reduce the buffeting. She is about an inch taller than my 5' 7" frame. I ask about your heights as that seems really important in terms of what screens work best.

On a related note does your replacement screen flex as much as the stock unit on your R1200RT? Mine kind of wiggles in the wind and if I had to look through it I am fairly sure I would get motion sick after a short while.

Dave

height and all

to answer your question I am 5 11 and my wife is 5-3 I manage very well with the stock windscreen but keep in mind I come from a GS which was without fairings.

cheers

Denis R1200RT:buds

KBasa,

How tall are you and your wife? I am interested in the idea of dishing the passenger seat so my wife has less issues sliding forward during moderate braking and perhaps helping reduce the buffeting. She is about an inch taller than my 5' 7" frame. I ask about your heights as that seems really important in terms of what screens work best.

On a related note does your replacement screen flex as much as the stock unit on your R1200RT? Mine kind of wiggles in the wind and if I had to look through it I am fairly sure I would get motion sick after a short while.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 5".

This shield doesn't wiggle around as much as the stock one, I think because it seems to do a better job at managing the airflow and has less turbulence.

Does your wife use the handles to hold herself back when you're braking? My wife holds on to the grab handle with one hand and puts her other hand on my hip when we're braking. If we're braking really hard, she'll clamp her thighs to me.

Remember, when you're riding with a passenger, you really have to step up your smoothness. That's the key I think. You'll find that being smoother means being faster, too. :thumb

Good luck!

Oh, by the way, we're really happy with the seat and it did, indeed, make a difference in keeping her not only happy, but well planted on the seat.

I've got a picture of it somewhere on my smugmug account, but can't find it right now.

Back