• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Questions for RS enthusiasts

T

travlr

I guess I'm wierd, but the old RSL model with lowers is alot more attractive to me than a new ST. In a moment of madness, if I were to buy one:

1. Are there any years to avoid or to covet?

2. Does BMW still sell lowers so I could buy an RS and add the lowers?

3. Can I utilize an "R" triple clamp and add tube bars? (It shouldn't change the geometry.)

4. If not, how can I get the bars above the triple clamp for some extra comfort?

Thanks!

T

I have a 94 R1100RSA, not the "L" with the lowers. See my other posts for my home-made tubular handlebar mount using parts from a Honda or Suzuki with a
K75 style handlebar (much more comfortable). I simply drilled the top plate from above after some careful measuring. Then some careful cable re-routing allowed me to use the stock cables and hoses.

I would avoid an RS model older than a 96 model. The 93 through 95 model years had known transmission issues. I know, cause I had the tranny out of my 94 twice before 60,000 miles for internal tranny problems. BMW stepped up to the plate though and gave me (free that is) a brand new 96 spec tranny to replace the original one, even after being out of warranty for two years and 20,000 miles.

The later RS models, the ones with the later version 5-speed tranny in 2000 would be a good choice. Then modify the handlebar mounts and enjoy one great bike that I feel should still be in the line-up. I have been riding mine for over 12 years now.

I think these bikes have a nice look to them. I have an early '94 RS. I thought when the '95s came out in red with the lowers that is was the best looking oilhead there was. Now I think that those without the lowers look the best, I like seeing the engine. Also less plastic to remove when servicing.

Do a little shopping at BeemerBoneYard.com and check out the options for the top fork bridge from a R1100R or Rockster to get a factory tubular handlebar mount. But it aint cheap, even with salvaged parts you could be over $200 quickly.

It can be done, but it also requires the right, large deep well socket and allen wrench to get the central nut loosed on the top bridge to change out the bridge itself.

That's why on my 94 RS I opted for drilling out the stock top bridge (on the bike with just the stock handlbars off) and for using single stud bar mounts from a Japanese bike. The mounts I found for $20 at a local cycle salvage yard. The K75 style handlebar can also be found at BMW cycle salvage yards like BeemerBoneYard.

A little more weirdness

I happen to like the RSLs too; in fact, I have a black '95 with grey pin stripes that has traveled around 64,000 miles. Maybe the previous owner experienced a transmission failure--he didn't say, and I don't know. I do know the Black Bee runs and handles great (well, slow-speed cornering is not its forte), and other than routine maintenance, one stoplight switch, and a new battery, I haven't had any complaints.

I don't know whether or not BMW still sells the RSL side/lower tupperware pieces, but I've seen them for sale on eBay and the IBMWR web site (http://www.ibmwr.org/).

When I first got my RSL, I seriously considered replacing the stock bars with tubular bars also (Man, did I have some sore wrists and elbows!), but after a few hundred miles and a slight modification to my riding position, the ride became very comfortable, and the wrist and elbow pain disappeared.

If you want to hear from more RS enthusiasts visit http://www.bikersoracle.com/ and click on the BMW RS forum. You'll find some of the people from this forum also visit that site.

Good Luck,
Robert

Why?

Just curious. Why would you want tubular bars? Especially if you're not changing the geometry? I'm no expert, but the only advantage would be for mounting accessories on the bars.

I don't have any wrist/elbow issues riding my RS. Most of the time I lean forward enough so my elbows are bent and there is no weight on my wrists.

Good luck finding an RS. You might also want to check out http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum/

Jim

I changed over to tubular handlebar mounts because of wrist pain and my left hand going numb in only 20 minutes of riding. I'm only 5'-6" with a 30" inseam so my torso is a bit short, as are my arms. So I had to reach a bit even with the stock handlebars adjusted all the way back.

The tubular bar mounts moved me back enough to take the load off my wrists. Now I have no wrist pain or numbness even after hours of riding.

Back