• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200CL hot seat

R

Rmolleson

2004 R1200cl just recently installed a new battery, since then my seat gets so hot that its uncomfortable to ride. I have unplugged the power to the seat heater, this has not helped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From personal experience....

Both seats are heated. It is a 3 position switch. Center position is off. There is a switch on both sides of the driver's seat. Make sure both are off.

When I first bought my CLC, I didn't even know the bike had heated seats. The dealer was showing me everything. Turned them on but didn't turn them off. I didn't know there were two switches and kept trying to turn of the pillion seat. Never turned off the driver seat. 4 hour ride, Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. It was hot as hell.

Hope that helps. It just really isn't possible for the seat to get heated if it is disconnected so I suspect you have only disconnected the rear seat. Your gonna love those heaters in the winter. TRUST ME.

2004 R1200cl just recently installed a new battery, since then my seat gets so hot that its uncomfortable to ride. I have unplugged the power to the seat heater, this has not helped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seeing as you have unplugged the power to the seat, I would say we have a big mystery on our hands.

Have you asked the question over at the Chromeheads Forum?

Belquar

Thanks for your help.

I feel so stupid, I thought there was only one switch. I have not owned the bike for very long and it has been a learing experience.

Again, thanks for the help.:clap

Thanks for your help.

I feel so stupid, I thought there was only one switch. I have not owned the bike for very long and it has been a learing experience.

Again, thanks for the help.:clap

I did the same thing when I first got mine. I heated an empty rear seat for weeks.

You would have been right if you had the Corbin Seat. It has only one switch that powers both rider and pillion and it's a real butt burner even in the winter. Rarely use it.

Sure glad for old threads!

Bought my CL in November, drove it from the dealer to winter storage. Didn't get a manual and the sales guy knew nothing about the bike, not a BMW Dealer, so no idea about the seat heat switches. Knew it needed a new battery so had that done in June, been heating the pillion ever since as the guy who did the battery knocked the switch out of the seat in the on position! Found out when my wife got on back, not a good time for her. Took the bike to a BMW dealer for other issues and asked them to check out the switch, they looked at me like my head was on fire but were glad to charge me to make a smart ass comment on the invoice. Drove the bike home 130 miles with now my rider seat on fire! Got on this thread and sure enough found the other switch. So good thing these threads have never been cleaned up!

chromeheads.org

topsarge

I hope you're loving the CL as much as I am.
You'll find INVALUABLE help over at chromeheads.org to enjoy that machine even more!

David

Congrats on your CL! I just sold mine this spring to make room for a Guzzi California but I'm going to miss it this winter. The CL is the best cold weather bike I've ever had. Batwing fairing, lowers, heated grips and as you mention, heated seats. I think I only put 5K on my car last year because I only needed it in January.

As DCS1157 noted, Chromeheads is a great resource for Cs and CLs.

Back