• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K100 Oil Drip

cuervo

Hello all,

I noticed an oil drip from my 88K100RS and went about investigating.

It is coming from the weep hole at the bottom of the water/oil pump.

Not a terrible drip, but one I would like to stop. I presume this means pulling the pump to replace the gasket to the engine? What all is involved and should I let the shop do it?

When I first noticed it, I thought it was the oil pan gasket and was ready to do it myself but now I'm not so sure.

tia

Cuervo said:
Hello all,

I noticed an oil drip from my 88K100RS and went about investigating.

It is coming from the weep hole at the bottom of the water/oil pump.

Not a terrible drip, but one I would like to stop. I presume this means pulling the pump to replace the gasket to the engine? What all is involved and should I let the shop do it?

When I first noticed it, I thought it was the oil pan gasket and was ready to do it myself but now I'm not so sure.

tia

Unlikely that it's the oil pan gasket (although mine weeps a tiny bit - and there is no gasket - it's a made-in-place seal - silicone sealant.

More likely the oil seal on the oil pump. You might check out the IBMWR tech-faqs for details on fixing it.

http://www.ibmwr.org

Note - the seals on the pump underwent a design change in the past year or so - the procedure to replace them is a bit more involved.

Given how old the bike is - if it was mine - I would go for a new pump assembly (it's a combined water/oil pump) - about $300 from your friendly local dealer.

Best,

More like around $350+tax now-a-days.

I bought one and thought about doing it myself but decided to have it done with a service 2 which will change the coolant anyway.

Cuervo said:
More like around $350+tax now-a-days.

I bought one and thought about doing it myself but decided to have it done with a service 2 which will change the coolant anyway.

Sounds like a plan to me.. and I guess it is a few years since a friend bought a pump.. :)

Best,

I just replaced the seals on my K75. It cost about $40 for parts. There are some good tips on the IMBWR tech page. It's not a difficult job, but does take some time, and the installation of the water seal is a bit tricky, so read the IBMWR pages carefully.

Back