Thread: What Tires For The GS(A)

Jersey Guy

Question What Tires For The GS(A)

My 2007 R1200GSA came with Bridgestone Battle Wings. These have been great in the asphalt but any time I want to jump onto grass, dirt, or Gravel it's a bit unnerving to say the least.
    I see some of the Dual use tires being offered are: Metzler's Tourance (EXP)
    Maxxis's Presa Detour, and Michelin's Anakee.
    Anyone have any opinions on these or know of any others?

Thanks,

Dave K.

2. 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM

My F650GS came with Metzeler Tourances. I chose to swap them out early for a set of Continental TKCs. I never liked the way the Tourances handled on loose surfaces such as gravel or mud. They would squirm around in a most un-nerving manner on gravel, in mud they were all but usless. The difference in the bike with the TKCs is incredible, and they still handle very nicely on ashphalt. The downside is, they will wear out much sooner. That is something I'm willing to acept for the improved off road capability. Another similar tire is the Metzeler Karoo or the Karoo T.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

On my 1150 GSA I have used the std TKC80's, the Karoo, the Karoo T (aka Karoo2), Dunlop D607. My absolute fave were the Karoos but they are noisy on asphalt but never ever had a traction issue. A little scary until you get used to riding on full height knobbies with the flexion etc but a great tire. Great traction often means durability trade-offs.

I am running Karoo T right now, the durability is better, the road traction and the gravel and soft ground traction so far is good but not as good as the regular Karoos in my opinion. Lots of choices. Just depends on how crazy you want to get and how long you want them to last.

I have been very happy with the Metzler Tourances. A good balance of grip, longevity, and handling. I am trying, for the first time, Michelin Anakees on my GSA. My observation is that they are a little "grippier" (not that I ever had a problem on the Tourances), at the expense of a little longevity.

Both are excellent choices.

Cheers..........Rod
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680

Jersey Guy
    Thanks All,
    All good info. I think I'd like to consider getting spare wheels and set them up with full knobs. But I think that's for another day / paycheck.