• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bears,

Gnome

To all of *you planning to head west to Spokane,Washington this July.
If you are heading to Spokane and have to go through Montana,and Wyoming,Canada,etc, (Wooded parts of the Northwest) BEWARE.
If you plan on camping in the state parks in these areas.
DO CHECK WITH PARK RANGERS FIRST!!!
DO NOT HAVE FOOD ON YOUR SITE!!!
There are Bears in them there woods that will eat you like a Frito chip! These Bears aren't you're cuddly hugable tedy bears,they are wild animals who can and will feed on human flesh.

So be careful have fun,ride safe ,and see you at the rally.

*This does not apply to the Harley Davidson riders as the Bears will keep a distance from those arm pits.;)

Would these be the same bears that Tim Treadwell said were "just big party animals" on Letterman one time?

You really don't want to keep things like toothpaste and other highly scented items in your tent. Many western campgrounds will have a "bear box" at the campsite. Keep food and toiletries on these boxes. Bears have been known to rip open cars to get to food inside, so don't be misled into keeping your items in your saddlebag.

Bears are big, smart and hungry and will find a way to get to the things their terrific nose smells.

Not sure on the party animal thang and whether they'll take your flask out of your tankbag.

:D

damn Bears

If the beast goes for my Maker's Mark there will be Bear Wrestling at Jellystone!...wait a minute those damn Bears are Huge!
Ok, I'll share the bottle with Yogi,but not with Boo Boo.

In YB speak a certain type of rider is known as a circus bear.

Fun to watch but don't get close. :yow

- Rob Nye

The grizzly bears out west are wild and ferocious! They will attack at any chance they get! They will sneak into your camp at night and you will never hear them coming. They will tear apart your camp looking for food. If you store your food in on your bike, they will destroy it! The tent won't stop them. The ranger won't stop them. Our Government is turning them loose all over in the Northwest. BE CAREFUL! BE AWARE! A favorite hideout for the "grizz" is Glacier National Park. They will EAT you!:yum

Rob Nye said:
In YB speak a certain type of rider is known as a circus bear.

Fun to watch but don't get close. :yow

- Rob Nye

"Fun to watch, but potentially deadly."

You heard it here first....

dave

Also wipe your seat down before you turn in. The bears can smell the sweat on it. I have a buddy who was at a campground where the director said that a motorcyclist had his seat torn apart by a bear. The director had started giving towels to bikes coming in just to wipe down seats.

What?

You all don't think you're blowing this out of proportion? If this topic is meant in jest, you're probably scaring some folks.

Griz are indigenous, not "turned loose." One may be relocated, like when one bothers a horse in the pasture of a residence with the nearest neighbor 2 miles away, that's not really suburbia. Lots of people living "near Griz" have never even seen one. For the most part, griz don't frequent populated areas, they hang in the backcountry and the brush, where they have an instant buffet. If griz is known to be frequenting an area it will be closed and marked.

I've nearly hit one on more than one occasion when it/they were browsing next to or crossing the road; usually this is in the woods up a gravel road 30 miles from town or along the border of Glacier National Park. There is one section of Hwy 2 that runs along the Middle Fork of the Flathead River that is closed to stopping because the griz feed on the corn spilled near the railroad tracks, which ferments, so they get drunk. Just not the place to stop and picnic, look at the river below, etc.

If bears are known to frequent a campground it will be designated "hard sided camping only." Food boxes and warnings will be obvious.

Black bears can be a nuisance and can do property damage.

It's not Disneyland, the animals are real. That's all there is to it.

darn I was just trying to scare some rider babes into my tent,oh well. :brow
There goes that plan...

Re: What?

Montana said:
You all don't think you're blowing this out of proportion..........

What he said.:thumb

IÔÇÖm no bear expert, but a I did a lot of research on the subject of bear attacks prior to a ride to Glacier National Park where I planned to hike alone in the wilderness. This was three weeks after a guy was killed an eaten in the park by a Female Grizzle and her cubs

It is just like motorcycling, be smart, be informed.

Don't approach them or feed them and do a little research about food storage and what to do incase of an encounter. Yur actions may need to be very different in regards to a Brown Bear as opposed to a Black Bear in the very very rare chance of an attack. It also may need to be different in regards to an encounter during the day as opposed to an encounter at night.

Best advice I received prior to that trip; ÔÇ£If yur scared of bears, stay outta da forestÔÇØ

BTW I had seen Black Bears many many times prior to the trip. I had never seen a Grizzly. I saw one on the tripWow, Brown Bears (Grizzlys) are huge.:eek

Last edited:
TROLLING FOR GRIZZ

A favorite pass time for those living in the Northwest is "trolling for grizz". This is a way for your passenger to get some good pictures of a charging bear. The idea works on the same principle of fishing with a bright colored lure.

Some bears are attracted by slow moving bright colors. They prefer to chase the combination colors of Areostich yellow/gray.
Travel along a road at about 20 MPH. Grizz can charge at about 30 MPH. When the grizz see the bright colors go by, it will entice him to charge thinking he has an easy morsel. You will know when you need to speed up when your passanger who is taking pictures begins to scream and frantically hit you!

tim said:
The grizzly bears out west are wild and ferocious! They will attack at any chance they get! They will sneak into your camp at night and you will never hear them coming. They will tear apart your camp looking for food. If you store your food in on your bike, they will destroy it! The tent won't stop them. The ranger won't stop them. Our Government is turning them loose all over in the Northwest. BE CAREFUL! BE AWARE! A favorite hideout for the "grizz" is Glacier National Park. They will EAT you!:yum

Yeah what HE said.And,the Canadian Grizz are WORSE,if ya can believe that!!!The blacks are almost but not quite so bad,only because they are a little smaller than the grizzz.They do love Americans though,something about not eating enough back bacon and poutine as a youngster growing up,gives the Americans a really bear-attractive smell.

Or something..
Gotta watchem,that's for sure.....:nra :drink

YB in IN said:
Also wipe your seat down before you turn in. The bears can smell the sweat on it. I have a buddy who was at a campground where the director said that a motorcyclist had his seat torn apart by a bear. The director had started giving towels to bikes coming in just to wipe down seats.

I always thought it was raccoons and porcupines that went for butt sweat? Bears go for BLOOD and MEAT.Like pepperoni sticks,beef jerky and salami.Pizza and stuff like that.

tim said:
A picture of baby Grizz?

Hey!!!
I've got one of those!!A trophy..
Only mine says Montana Bear,he was captured,shrunk and stuffed by the Montana Highway Patrol.They gave him to my daughter when we were there so she wouldn't feel scared.

Oh yeah and he's white.Guess he started out as a polar bear.Either that or a spirit bear,aka the white phase of the black bear,aka the Kermode bear..You never can tell about bears.
Or folks either for that matter.From nice guy,well liked by his neighbours,to serial killer,in a minute...

Not trying to gross anyone out but bears do smell blood real well, and if your wife or girlfriend is at that time of the month you don't really want to be camping in bear country. unless! oh never mind.
Consider a Black bear as friendly as a 600 lb Rottweiler.

If your are going to camp in Grizzly country it is best to sleep in a tree. Grizzlys can't climb trees, although they might try to push it over to get to YOU. :snore

Back