• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I need ideas for 3 days of riding in Utah in September.

Good riding!!

Have a great, safe trip. Perhaps our paths will cross. We are meeting up in SLC on Sunday, 9/16 and heading for Moab/Arches, then to Four Corners, and after that, the order isn't completely sorted, but will include Escalante, Zion and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Be safe!

Joe, it would be great to cross paths somewhere. See you down the road!

OK the trip is firming up.

It looks like we will meet in Salina just off I-70 on Tuesday night, 9/18.

Wednesday, we will the 89 and Alt-89 down across the AZ border and visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon and then back to Kanab for the night.

Thursday, we will take the 89 back to the 12, 12 to the 24, and 24 east to Hanksville.

Friday: we will take the 95 south to Blanding and then the 191 north into Moab.

Saturday, we will either mess around in Arches and Dead Horse, or part and go home. If we decide to take off for home, I am contemplating an IBA Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 Hours) in a loop that will take me east to Denver, North up into Wyoming and west and south to SLC and then blast back for home on the 15....but I probably am going to be in more of cruising mode rather than a dashing mode after a week of fun.

We shall see. Thanks for all of your info, it was a great help. I will bring a ride report back of course.

Those are all A+ roads. If you're in Kanab at dinner time, try the Rocking V Cafe right in the middle of town. ( 97 W. Center St)

If you're in Moab, about 4 miles north of town is Scenic Hwy 128. Take it !! Even if you only ride it a short way it's one of those roads you won't mind turning around and riding it the other way. It's a great road that follows a river. Take it for just two miles and you can decide once you're on it.

Below a peek of Hwy 128.

Can't wait to hear how it went. Ride safe.

Attachments

• 128.jpg
    128.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 72
Ride Report

We had a great time! We took 6 days. I blasted up the 15 out of LA past Las Vegas and into Utah and met my buddy in Salina, Utah just off the 70.

The next day rode down the 89 and across the AZ border and visited the north rim of the Grand canyon....Awesome sweepers on the 67 in and out of the park. We spent that night in Kanab, Utah

Up the next morning and around the rim of Panguitch Lake and Cedar Breaks Nat. Monument on the 14 & 143 back down to Panguitch and then down Red canyon on the 12 east bound thru Tropic, Escalante onto the 24 stunning Capitol Reefs Nat Park to Hankville....now that is a wide spot in the road!!!!

Nex day we turned south at Hanksville and rode the 95 down in a giant loop past the Natural Bridges Monument through Blanding and up to Monticello and on into Moab for beer on a Friday night at the Moab Brewery.

Saturday Morning it was north out of Moab to a great little river canyon ride on the 128 to Cisco and back onto the I-70 slab and across the border into Colorado to Loma where we parted company and he headed back to Loveland. I headed north on the 139 (saw a guys with an elk trophy head on the back of a bike headed the other way!) over the 8240 elevation pass in Souglas and down into Dinosaur, CO. where I turned east on the 40 and 191 on some pretty desolate looking oil counrty (reminded me of Kern County around Bakersfield) and dropped down the 191 at Duchesne over a 9100 foot summit and cut across a little oil road in the driving rain onto the 6 northbound over Soldier's pass in the rain and hail and idiot drivers (crazy passing with horse trailers in the rain into on coming traffic!) and down into Provo for some hot soup and blast into the rain and dark across the 6/50 across into Nevada fro a night at Ely, NV - home of the Silverstate Challenge.

Sunday morning across the 6/95 long, long, long striaght aways and excessive speeds with a small running out of gas just outside Tonopah (Thanks for the ride Patrick!) and then across the California border into Bishop and a zip down the 395 along the eastern sierras and into Mojave and dropped down across the high desert and into the back door of Santa Clarita and home 2507 miles later.

The Pix follow

Attachments

• IMG_3052 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3052 (Small).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 59
riding utah 2

Attachments

• IMG_3189 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3189 (Small).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 57
ridinh utah 3

Attachments

• IMG_3251 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3251 (Small).JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 55
riding utah some more

Attachments

• IMG_3281 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3281 (Small).JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 63
ride utah ride

Attachments

• IMG_3322 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3322 (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 62
and then we rode some more

Attachments

• IMG_3428 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3428 (Small).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 61
s'more ridin'

Attachments

• IMG_3525 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3525 (Small).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 61
holy crap, more riding

Attachments

• IMG_3531 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3531 (Small).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 61
darkness settled over the face of the earth

Attachments

• IMG_3537 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3537 (Small).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 60
Up the next morning and around the rim of Panguitch Lake and Cedar Breaks Nat. Monument on the 14 & 143 back down to Panguitch and then down Red canyon on the 12 east bound thru Tropic, Escalante onto the 24 stunning Capitol Reefs Nat Park to Hankville....now that is a wide spot in the road!!!!

Glad you got to check that out. IMO, that's the creme de la creme of Utah. 3 or 4 years ago on my way to the Red Rocks Rally, I wanted to take the Mammoth Cave road, but it was blocked, under constuction. As I was consulting my map, a road crew came up and began to remove the barricades. I asked them if the road was open. They said yes, but be careful. We just finished paving this morning and the barricades are still up on the other end. I was the first vehicle on the entire, freshly paved length. That's a day I won't soon forget.

Soldier's pass in the rain and hail and idiot drivers (crazy passing with horse trailers in the rain into on coming traffic!) and down into Provo

I can see it now. In their defence, most of those folks do that road as a "commute" and know it like the back of their hands. A lot of folks who work in the mines in Carbon county live in Utah county. I've never worked down there and I'd still say, conservatively, I've driven/ridden that canyon at least 50 times in my life.

I am sure that is true, but it is no less un-nerving to have horse trailers and OHV trailers drivers just pull out into oncoming trafiic in a driving hail and rain storm. I just wanted them away from me. When you drive like you want to meet Jesus, don't take me with you...

Back