• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oops... Oil Mistake!

J

JNeumeier

OK, I know what I have to do... But I wonder what the affects are... So here is what happened:

BMW Genius Marketing Team decided not to use a distinctive quart bottle for gear oil (vs engine oil). Yeah, the wording is different, but the picture of the rider is even the same!!

Any way, after the oil change, my buddy was opening and handing me quart bottles off the shelf as I dumped them in. I had one bottle of gear oil, and sure enough, it went in.

So, I have 3 quarts of 20w50 and 1 quart of 80w90 Hypoid Gear oil.

I know the correct answer is drain it all and refill, but what are the affects of running it in this configuration? Also, when I dump this oil, should I also change the filter? Or just dump it best I can and reuse it?

After you're done chuckling, I would like to hear your opinions.

-Jason.

My first instinct, it's cheaper to dump all of the oil and replace filter than to have some potential clogging of the filter and who knows what other complication. The repair would be astronomical.
Your experience has brought awarenes to others of a potential mistake. Thanks for sharing.
Gil

Oil experts will weigh in, but I remember reading that the viscosities are very different for gear oil than motor oil. That gear oil you dumped in is probably equivalent to a 30 or 40 weight motor oil. I don't know if it'll do any damage or not, but you already know to take it out and refill with the proper lubricant. I consider myself fairly cheap, and I would still replace the filter.

BMW Genius Marketing Team .....

There's a saying in a club I belong to: "When you're pointing the finger at someone else, remember that you're pointing three back at yourself".:whistle

-Jason.

Change your oil and filter and you'll be fine.

You asked for opinions, not data. Dump the oil & the filter and consider it a relatively inexpensive lesson learned. Charge the replacement costs to your buddy, a case of beer should work.

What everyone else already said before; just replace the oil and filter. Thanks for coming forward with this, as I am sure you're not the first or will be the last person to do this.

There's a saying in a club I belong to: "When you're pointing the finger at someone else, remember that you're pointing three back at yourself".:whistle

That having been said, it is colossally imbecilic of BMW to package two radically different products in virtually the same container.

I just picked up five quarts of engine oil and one of synthetic gear and noted the alarming similarity.

Wrong oil

I had a work van that had transmission fluid (I think) put in the engine by the service center (it comes out of hoses). The engine was completely filled with a black, sooty carbon deposit up to the valve cover. It wasn't worth replacing the engine so the vehicle was totalled. Of course the service center could never make a mistake like that!
:banghead :banghead

if nothing else it sure smells funny !:banghead I would change it, but if I was stuck in BFE, would not be overly worried about riding it. Remember the STP threatment we poured in our smoking hand me down 60's era cars? That stuff was about 150W molasses!, didn't hurt anything running thru system

Dear Old Dad Trick

Speaking of dumping strange things in the oil, My Dad taught me years ago that when you change oil in ANY engine, after all the old oil had drained out, put the plug back in, then dump about a quart of kerosne in the engine (amount for a cage, that is, I assume he used less for a bike and lawnmowers) and very gently turn the motor over once without firing. then drain out the now BLACK keosene and proceed with the change.

Does anybody have any feedback on this?

I might add that his pickups, willy Jeep and our Buick Stationwagon ran well into the 150,000 range when we sold them (still running perfect).

Red

Last edited:
I know the correct answer is drain it all and refill, but what are the affects of running it in this configuration? Also, when I dump this oil, should I also change the filter? Or just dump it best I can and reuse it?

-Jason.

Definitely change it all.

Speaking odd dumping starnge things in the oil, My Dad taught me years ago that when you change oil in ANY engine, after all the old oil had drained out, put the plug back in, then dump about a quart of kerosne in the engine (amount for a cage, that is, I assume he used less for a bike and lawnmowers) and very gently turn the motor over once without firing. then drain out the now BLACK keosene and proceed with the change.

I might add that his pickups, willy Jeep and our Buick Stationwagon ran well into the 150,000 range when we sold them (still running perfect).

Red

Now they call it engine flush at $6.95/qt....

Dump the oil. The peace of mind will be priceless.

Oop! Oil Mistake

Change the oil filter dump the oil and friend. Just kidding about the friend. Aliter of Crown Royal will suffice from him. Seriously change the oil and filter for peace of mind.:nono

Speaking of dumping strange things in the oil, My Dad taught me years ago that when you change oil in ANY engine, after all the old oil had drained out, put the plug back in, then dump about a quart of kerosne in the engine (amount for a cage, that is, I assume he used less for a bike and lawnmowers) and very gently turn the motor over once without firing. then drain out the now BLACK keosene and proceed with the change.

Red

That was probably a good idea, back in the day. When oil was oil, straight weight, hardly any additives. What your dad was doing was removing the sludge deposits in the engine. Nowadays, if oil companies are to be believed, oil includes additive that a) help eliminate sludge and b) hold it in suspension. IMO, and it's only that, more harm would be done to the bearings and bushings by the sludge/kerosene mix running through them than good that would be accomplished by removing them if, in fact, there were any there.

FWIW, I think this is one of the primary "FACTS" behind the "don't use synth in older vehicles" legend. Modern Synths will loosen and dissolve years of sludge build up and wreak havoc on bearing surfaces.

I've seen the kerosene-trick used during restorations of old vehicles. The way I saw it done, it was more than a quart (more like a gallon) and the engine would be turned by the tarter for about thirty seconds. Then the kerosene was drained and the procedure repeated until the kerosene drained clear.
Fast-forward to six years ago. I pulled the crank-cover and valve-cover off an '85 K100 that had 76K miles on it. I did not know the bike's maintenance-history except that it had been fairly neglected the last few years. There was no trace of sludge to be found. I also have found no trace of sludge in The BatBike's engine ('95 R100), which has 65K and is currently torn-down out in my garage. I have had it since 33K and have used automotive-formula Castrol Syntec Blend.

As for the original subject of this thread, peace of mind is probably the biggest benefit of draining the oopsed oil. While I doubt that leaving it in will cause any harm, peace of mind is a good thing, especially when you want your attention on your riding rather than on what you're riding.

You didn't tell us whether you actually ran the bike with the gear oil in it.

If you have run the bike with the gear oil in the crankcase, you may want to do two oil changes. One with an inexpensive oil, ride it around to get it warm, then dump it and refill with the good stuff, just to flush out more of the thicker gear oil.

It may not make much of a difference, but I would feel better about it.:jose

Just don't tell us you put diesel in the fuel tank. :nono :D

You didn't tell us whether you actually ran the bike with the gear oil in it.

Thanks to the many concerned (or not so concerned), but here is what I did:

First off, yes, I ran the bike with the oil in it. Not much, but some.

I got cheap oil and filter, dumped it in after I let the old stuff drain for 9 hours while I was at work. Ran the bike for about a 20-30 minute ride, got it nice and hot.

Drained the blackened cheap oil out. New BMW Filter, New BMW 20w50 MOTOR oil. Have since put a couple of hundred miles on it. Runs great. Oil is still crystal clear! So, nice to do the double change just to have nice clean good oil.

Thanks to all replies...

-Jason.

Back