• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT alternator belt replacement

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
cannot find link to alternator belt replacement on the R1200, have the DVD but not on my copy....got old one off using plastic sleeve, need help rolling new one on! fingers are not a good idea:banghead . I saw the tips on the GS site, but he had issues also

Definitely easier on the oilheads!, I would hate to lose one on the road, cause you aren't going to pop it on like you can the 1100' or 1150's. The RT requires the tank to come off to really get your hands in there, luckily I was flushing the ABS & changing spark plugs anyways and have all the tupperware off as well as the tank

cannot find link to alternator belt replacement on the R1200, have the DVD but not on my copy....got old one off using plastic sleeve, need help rolling new one on! fingers are not a good idea:banghead . I saw the tips on the GS site, but he had issues also

Definitely easier on the oilheads!, I would hate to lose one on the road, cause you aren't going to pop it on like you can the 1100' or 1150's. The RT requires the tank to come off to really get your hands in there, luckily I was flushing the ABS & changing spark plugs anyways and have all the tupperware off as well as the tank

BMW has a neat tool for this. Kind of an inclined spiral that neatly spins the belt right on. I forget the cost to the dealer...some hundreds of dollars...mandatory.

BMW has a neat tool for this. Kind of an inclined spiral that neatly spins the belt right on. I forget the cost to the dealer...some hundreds of dollars...mandatory.

no doubt a mandatory aggravation saver... I will be the local specialty tool/tirechanger/bikelift owner before I am done for our club and area... I believe I saw one for under $200 some time back...thanks...I'll go work on another item until trip to dealer tomorrow... needed stuff for another bike anyways and the shop is about a mile from my office...lucky me:hungover and y'all wonder why I have multiple bikes???:lol

No, just hit 41K and decided it was time...was doing a major maintenance session. The old belt actually looked OK, some minimal cracking in the grooves,I have seen worst serpentines on my cages after 30K.

FYI...the tool looks like a oil filter tool with a wedge on it...and costs just under $200...all the techs swear by it....:banghead

I need a seperate toolbox for all the "specialty" tools I have bought for various wheeled vehicles the past 35 years...GEEZ, from VW's to Chryslers I have a few!

If I buy it, It's for rent in Central TX:lol :lol all my Hexhead brothern!You'll need it at 30K

The GS looks like you can get in there to work without it , the RT not so much...the labor hours on the RT may justify my "emergency purchase" buying justification:brow

Two guys needed without tool

With two guys you can get it on. One person pushes it on while the other (with the bike on the center stand off the rear wheel) put it a high gear and turn the rear wheel. Believe me it works but it is not that much fun, trial and error and which gear is best. . . Hands, brains and muscle can compensate for $$$ tools.

gpodzo

Oops

I meant the rear wheel is just off the ground not off the bike. You need to spin the wheel while the front person keeps pushing it on.

Had Helen helping and she's no wimp! :ha :ha :ha (cover my tail disclaimer there!)... Mongo was not around. Felt like we were going to knock bike off of lift! Not the safest method, but I know it's possible without losing a finger or pushing bike off lift!
Jim VonB said the same thing as you described and the Alt Belt is in same chapter as the air filter replacement on my copy...I will try it again this evening. Jim also thought maybe the front shock will be in way of tool and may have to be removed:banghead
At least the serpentine style belt should last once installed... for a while!

Use a tie down around the centerstand and the A arm or the forks to prevent the stand from flipping up.

OK...I decided to quit forcing things to fit...sure has been some expensive lessons thru the years ( another thread subject!)
I agree with podsobinski about hands,muscles,brains compensating, but that voice in my head said not this time. I had pinched the doowallee out of my fingers recently...:banghead
Helen was at the dealer helping some new riders gear up about the time I got a call that the hexhead alternator belt tool was in...I'll skip filling my 3/4 ton truck up 3 times and talked myself into going ahead w/ purchase. Asked her to pick it up...She called and said it sure looks like an oil filterwrench, and the British gal with her replied at the cost...must be German! I'll talk British prices with her later:stick

So after she brought it home and I put it in place, the belt slipped on without a hitch...no manhandling ( or manwomanhandling since Helen is my help). She was installing her new Rick M seat on her R and turned around as I finished to see if I needed some help...DONE ...she couldn't believe after the monkey fugglin we did the other night that it took maybe two minutes. Yes, it was a few more $$ than I wanted, but I bet I have some more new buddies wanting to use it soon! I did not have to remove front shock as had been pondered, I used a small swivelheaded extension and it fit fine, even with Wunderlich engine guard crossbar still in place:thumb

Ain't it pretty? the engineer that designed the snug fit must have had to also build a tool!

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 911
henzilla let me know

Henzilla, make sure you come through Colorado with that fancy tool when it is time for my alternator to be changed and bring it with you. . . I'll will take you on some once in a lifetime rides for using that tool.

gpodzo

The best modifications cannot be seen from the outside.

What a deal! :thumb I am close to having more riding time anyways

It will be in my McGyver Bag...people are amazed what I can carry and have in such a small bag! one of my buddies keeps asking when the NoMar is coming to my garage also...I AM spending my kids inheritance...they can have a bike!

Better hurry up

Will look forward to it. I too am spending my kids inheritance on bikes. By the way I am thinking about the Cajan Rally in La. this Nov. My wife has relatives all over SE Texas and western La.
Don't hesitate coming to Colorado. The aspen leaves will be turning and it is spectacular then, add to that a dusting of snow on top of the mountains and it is a slice of heaven.

gpodzo
R1200RT
R1150GS
XR650L

Never try to race an old geezer, he may have one more gear than you.

It IS on my DVD, just after air filter replacement. Somehow the chaper marker got eliminated, and they messed up the label.

Here is a quick version:

Add a piece of plastic between the pully and the belt by removing the spark plugs, put the bike in 6th gear, and bump the motor over with the tire until the plastic is in place, then remove the belt with a screwdriver.

Belt-remove.jpg

To install it, place the belt as in the next picture, hold tightly with your palm against the belt, and bump the motor over by turning the rear wheel in the driving direction as quickly as you can.

belt-inst.jpg

There you go, I just saved you $200 for a tool! :lol

Jim :brow

I'd like to thank the BMW DIY community and JimVonBaden for leading me through the first successful alternator belt replacement on my '07 R1200RT. It was a breeze.

I did pickup a couple of very helpful tips that I would like to pass along.

1. Rather than Jim's technique using a thick plastic strip and a screwdriver to lever the belt over the top pulley, I found it much easier to use a simple length of nylon web strap to remove the old belt via the bottom pulley. It only took a matter of seconds.

Here is a link to a "Conti Elast" YouTube video (about 28 seconds into the video) that illustrates this simple belt removal technique using a nylon web strap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r770767xSiA

(also shown on the Conti website: http://www.contitech.de/pages/produkte/antriebsriemen/kfz-ersatz/videos/unitool-elast_en.html)

2. By all means, remove the primary spark plug from each cylinder -- making rotating the engine much easier. Then, set the gearbox in 6th gear, and with the bike on the center stand, push the bottom of the rear tire away from you -- in the normal direction of travel, as you feed the nylon strap between the pulley and the belt during the removal process and again as you guide the belt on during the installation process.

WATCH OUT where you place your fingers as you rotate the engine using the rear tire! Best to use the heel of your palm as Jim illustrates.

Believe it or not, I didn't remove any of the tupperware from the bike to accomplish this. It's key to make sure the belt is on the top pulley correctly as you start the installation process.

With some of the money I saved, I bought Jim's video.

I used Jim's video but instead of being concerned about placing a piece of plastic in with the belt to remove it I used my pocket knife and cut the dang thing. My goal was to replace it not to save it. Pretty simple job IMHO.

I used Jim's video but instead of being concerned about placing a piece of plastic in with the belt to remove it I used my pocket knife and cut the dang thing. My goal was to replace it not to save it. Pretty simple job IMHO.

Gordian knot solution #1 a sharp knife.

I have Jim's dvd and tried to change the alternator belt following his instructions. Not a chance in hell. Sure I could remove the old belt. It had stretched over time so no big deal. The new belt circumference is smaller. I even tried with the help of a very able 250 lb. line backer type on the rear wheel in sixth gear of course. No dice. I even put the belt in boiling water for a half an hour and still that puppy wouldn't stretch enough to get it on. Foiled again, so off to the dealer I went, it was on in five minutes. Good luck. I have used Jim's DVD for most of my maintenance and have had great success, except that alt. belt.

I have Jim's dvd and tried to change the alternator belt following his instructions. Not a chance in hell... I even put the belt in boiling water for a half an hour and still that puppy wouldn't stretch enough to get it on.

The CONTITECH ELAST belt (4 PK 592) is designed to stretch and then contract into place to maintain proper belt tension.

I believe heating rubber will cause it to contract, not expand -- a natural by-product of rubber's unique entropic chemistry.

When I installed my new alternator belt, I was lying to the left of the bike on my left side, such that I could push the bottom of the rear tire with my right foot. The belt must be fully seated on the upper/alternator pulley at the outset, and you need to firmly "guide" the belt over the lower pulley while pushing on the tire.

Back