• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT alternator belt replacement

When I installed my new alternator belt, I was lying to the left of the bike on my left side, such that I could push the bottom of the rear tire with my right foot. The belt must be fully seated on the upper/alternator pulley at the outset, and you need to firmly "guide" the belt over the lower pulley while pushing on the tire.

I found it a lot easier to put a socket over nut holding the lower pulley and turn the engine that way. A nail set or pin punch lightly held in one of the holes in the bottom pulley will stop the belt from walking off. It took me longer to remove/replace the front cover than it did to replace the belt.

90K on 06' rt , BELT, Do We need a BelT? Uggh

:cryThey are still working on my RT, Now they think the pump is not working right for the fuel....But Now a Belt, When do they recommended to be replaced>>>>????

The belt was a 36K mile item, although the one I took off my GS at that mileage still looked and felt great. I kept it as a backup spare.

People have said that BMW changed to a 24K mile replacement schedule for the belt. I have no idea why.

R1200RT Alternator Belt Replacement

Greetings - I searched this site and others (including YouTube) for an alternator belt replacement thread. Interestingly the majority of these threads advocated the $200 tool or various other tools (screwdrivers, drill bits, soda bottles, pieces of plastic, etc.) I can't believe the neanderthal advice being given on a qualified BMW site!

I will say that the endorsement of the BMW tool made me think to investigate. I found an alternative. Also, a member's wife suggested hot water to soften the belt. Don't know that it is necessary but I used that tip as well and the belt slipped on in two rotations of the crank. Here is the tip:
- Go to O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
- Rent "EverTough 67089" belt tool.
- Hold the "install" tool against the pulley and play with it a bit. The correct position will become intuitive.
- Turn over the crank with a 34 mm socket. (O'Reilly 1/2 drive socket $10.98). I purchased the socket...may need it for other stuff.
- Position belt properly on the top alternator pulley.
- Then position the belt over the lower crank pulley with the tool on the initiation side of the pulley.
- Rotate the crank and suck the tool into the belt/pulley rotation for 180 degrees and the belt slips on.
- One cord may not slip on. Simply re-run the tool through another rotation and it will slip on.
- Or, rotate the crank and use your thumb to push the last cord onto the pulley.
- MOST IMPORTANT - return tool to O'Reilly's for rental credit. This is a free loaner tool part. $0.00 usage fee.
- If you live more than 10 minutes from O'Reilly's...buy the tool for $27.99
- If there are no O'Reilly's in your home town...buy it online. I attached a pic of the tool. Hope it shows.

I hope this helps. Greg

Attachments

• Belt Tool Comp.jpg
    Belt Tool Comp.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 205
I just did mine, and used the big crescent wrench. It took a couple tries to get the new belt seated properly, but I found it better than spending the big $$$ on the BMW tool.

I saw me as the OP and chuckled...been a few years.:scratch

I use the shop tool on some models , however it's the big crescent the majority of the time these days. And instead of tussling taking the old one off, it gets cut off unless someone really wants the past it's prime current item.:wave

The belt was a 36K mile item, although the one I took off my GS at that mileage still looked and felt great. I kept it as a backup spare.

People have said that BMW changed to a 24K mile replacement schedule for the belt. I have no idea why.

IIRC it is because some belts started making noise after 24k

Noisy belt

My replacement belt makes a loud (embarrassing) screeching noise at startup, worse when cold, but it didn't take it 24K miles to develop the problem. Maybe 5K. Mechanic says "yeah they do that."

My replacement belt makes a loud (embarrassing) screeching noise at startup, worse when cold, but it didn't take it 24K miles to develop the problem. Maybe 5K. Mechanic says "yeah they do that."

Could be the wrong belt was used. There are 3 different length belts that have been sold for the R1200 engine. Each one has gotten progressively shorter (meaning it's tighter on the pulleys. I think the current belt is 582mm now. Older ones were 611mm. Adding to the confusion is - the two lengths share a Conti part# - that has 611 in it where that's supposed to indicate the length. Your mechanic just doesn't want to redo the job for free if he selected/provided the replacement belt.

Some info can be found at: https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/belt-4pk592841.htm which might clarify things a bit - or not..

I installed two last week, one on an '07 R,the other a '13 Camhead RT. The newest belt is definitely a bit snugger to install and seriously doubt they will ever squeal.
I felt like I was trying to mount an 17" tire to an 18" rim:lol

Both bikes were at 36K and only the '07 showed some signs of wear( tiny cracks) along the v-groove ridges...thinking age more than miles.

Back