Thread: R1200RT alternator belt replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

R1200RT alternator belt replacement

cannot find link to alternator belt replacement on the R1200, have the DVD but not on my copy....got old one off using plastic sleeve, need help rolling new one on! fingers are not a good idea . I saw the tips on the GS site, but he had issues also

Definitely easier on the oilheads!, I would hate to lose one on the road, cause you aren't going to pop it on like you can the 1100' or 1150's. The RT requires the tank to come off to really get your hands in there, luckily I was flushing the ABS & changing spark plugs anyways and have all the tupperware off as well as the tank
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    cannot find link to alternator belt replacement on the R1200, have the DVD but not on my copy....got old one off using plastic sleeve, need help rolling new one on! fingers are not a good idea . I saw the tips on the GS site, but he had issues also

Definitely easier on the oilheads!, I would hate to lose one on the road, cause you aren't going to pop it on like you can the 1100' or 1150's. The RT requires the tank to come off to really get your hands in there, luckily I was flushing the ABS & changing spark plugs anyways and have all the tupperware off as well as the tank
    BMW has a neat tool for this. Kind of an inclined spiral that neatly spins the belt right on. I forget the cost to the dealer...some hundreds of dollars...mandatory.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    BMW has a neat tool for this. Kind of an inclined spiral that neatly spins the belt right on. I forget the cost to the dealer...some hundreds of dollars...mandatory.
    no doubt a mandatory aggravation saver... I will be the local specialty tool/tirechanger/bikelift owner before I am done for our club and area... I believe I saw one for under $200 some time back...thanks...I'll go work on another item until trip to dealer tomorrow... needed stuff for another bike anyways and the shop is about a mile from my office...lucky me and y'all wonder why I have multiple bikes???
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Did the old belt break?

Easy

No, just hit 41K and decided it was time...was doing a major maintenance session. The old belt actually looked OK, some minimal cracking in the grooves,I have seen worst serpentines on my cages after 30K.
    Steve Henson

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post

FYI...the tool looks like a oil filter tool with a wedge on it...and costs just under $200...all the techs swear by it....

I need a seperate toolbox for all the "specialty" tools I have bought for various wheeled vehicles the past 35 years...GEEZ, from VW's to Chryslers I have a few!

If I buy it, It's for rent in Central TX all my Hexhead brothern!You'll need it at 30K

The GS looks like you can get in there to work without it , the RT not so much...the labor hours on the RT may justify my "emergency purchase" buying justification
    Steve Henson

Rally Rat

Two guys needed without tool

With two guys you can get it on. One person pushes it on while the other (with the bike on the center stand off the rear wheel) put it a high gear and turn the rear wheel. Believe me it works but it is not that much fun, trial and error and which gear is best. . . Hands, brains and muscle can compensate for $$$ tools.

gpodzo

Rally Rat

Oops

I meant the rear wheel is just off the ground not off the bike. You need to spin the wheel while the front person keeps pushing it on.

Had Helen helping and she's no wimp! (cover my tail disclaimer there!)... Mongo was not around. Felt like we were going to knock bike off of lift! Not the safest method, but I know it's possible without losing a finger or pushing bike off lift!
    Jim VonB said the same thing as you described and the Alt Belt is in same chapter as the air filter replacement on my copy...I will try it again this evening. Jim also thought maybe the front shock will be in way of tool and may have to be removed
    At least the serpentine style belt should last once installed... for a while!
    Steve Henson