• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

USA Today Features Gillette, WY

"It has cleaner water than Gillette. "

Your talking from experience or just out of the corner of your mouth like everyone else who has decided to beat up on the 08 rally?:brow

I'm not even defending Gillette, it is what it is, a small WY town with the SAME problems as other small western towns. What I am defending (and sometimes ask myself why) is the rally.

The 08 rally could be set for anytown USA and it wouldn't matter. The rally is a place in your mind, married to a dot on the map where you go to experience the Nirvana of BMW motorcycle brother and sisterhood.

I defend, because I see half truths, inuendos, total outright fabrications tearing up, influencing people who otherwise would of come and experience what good Wyoming could offer; and Wyoming is a beautiful state, be it starting 30 miles out of Gillette, it's worth it, I know, I speak from living 40 plus years just catty corner from this exact spot!

If you speak, Big D, Officer Greenwald and other naysayers, speak in truths, in experiences, THAT ARE actual opinions. Half truths, and spin for sake of spin are nothing more than shouting "fire" in the crowded theatre of life. There is no fire here. If you speak true opinions, your not going to have any trouble with me.

Red

Last edited:
Ride On, Good Buddy

To Big Delta: While I appreciate your support, no need to come to my 'defense.' While any criticism of Gillette is often shouted down by the 'Usual Suspects' on this web site, you may wish to distance yourself from me for now.

As for myself, worry not. Three decades in law enforcement has left me with skin that is not just thick-enough for this sort of knee-jerk indignation, it's 'bully-proof.'

Leave Gillette alone - the topic is sacred. Let us confine our concerns to oil changes or GPS mounts, lest a predictable eight or nine contributors (out of the over one thousand, eight hundred who viewed this original thread so far....something that makes you pause and go..Hmmm..) pounce on you.

Ride while the weather is good, enjoy life and shake off this brush fire of sarcasm - more important things await us, I'm sure.

Last edited:
For those who are inclined to object to Gillette

get out your anonymous book and notice Du Quoin, Illinois was the rally site a few years ago.

Come on, the riding in S. Illinois, no matter how great I think it is, is nothing compared to Wyoming.

:wave

Du Quoin was my 1st & only rally

get out your anonymous book and notice Du Quoin, Illinois was the rally site a few years ago.

Come on, the riding in S. Illinois, no matter how great I think it is, is nothing compared to Wyoming.

:wave

I made an effort to visit Gillette a few weeks ago just to decide if it works for me -and it doesn't.It'll work for some,not for others.There will be other Nationals to attend that are more appealing.

I STILL don't get it

Suggestions for national (and what some say about the choice)

Eden- two many people walking around naked. It is a family event
Nirvana- too far from anything and difficult to get to
Atlantis- too wet

If you don't want to go, fine. Why do some seem to wish to convince others not to go? That's the impression I get.

The experiment is over. Forums are not my cup of tea. See you at F.L.:wave

I made an effort to visit Gillette a few weeks ago just to decide if it works for me -and it doesn't.It'll work for some,not for others.There will be other Nationals to attend that are more appealing.

Hope to see you at one somewhere down the road.:wave

Greenwald, Why did you post this thread?
Cute. Trolling for trouble?

MOA members have a legitimate interest in that newspaper article. I see no need for a forum moderator to belittle a club member just because the article casts a negative light on the location of a rally. If you don't like the news, don't read it.

In the meantime, I suggest you take a chill pill instead of baiting club members.

Fred

MOA members have a legitimate interest in that newspaper article. I see no need for a forum moderator to belittle a club member just because the article casts a negative light on the location of a rally. If you don't like the news, don't read it.

In the meantime, I suggest you take a chill pill instead of baiting club members.

Fred

Yep we do have a right to the truth, but what was misquoted was NOT THE TRUTH...but wait, the real article says SWIMMING POOL not drinking water, and I do believe the supposed quote mentioned drinking and showers as something we should worry about next year.. So the issue here is the intentional misquote by a member in order to stir up trouble and doubt of the sanitary conditions at Gillette, which is a slam dunk and dead wrong.. OBVIOUSLY if he had posted the article and let us all see what the real thing said instead of misquoting it for ?unknown? reasons, this thread would have been flushed along time ago.

I suggest everyone involved, including you and I take a chill pill and flush this thread. Hopefully end of story.

Red

Last edited:
I've posted this at least twice before

"It has cleaner water than Gillette. "

Your talking from experience or just out of the corner of your mouth like everyone else who has decided to beat up on the 08 rally?:brow

I'm not even defending Gillette, it is what it is, a small WY town with the SAME problems as other small western towns. What I am defending (and sometimes ask myself why) is the rally.

The 08 rally could be set for anytown USA and it wouldn't matter. The rally is a place in your mind, married to a dot on the map where you go to experience the Nirvana of BMW motorcycle brother and sisterhood.

I defend, because I see half truths, inuendos, total outright fabrications tearing up, influencing people who otherwise would of come and experience what good Wyoming could offer; and Wyoming is a beautiful state, be it starting 30 miles out of Gillette, it's worth it, I know, I speak from living 40 plus years just catty corner from this exact spot!

If you speak, Big D, Officer Greenwald and other naysayers, speak in truths, in experiences, THAT ARE actual opinions. Half truths, and spin for sake of spin are nothing more than shouting "fire" in the crowded theatre of life. There is no fire here. If you speak true opinions, your not going to have any trouble with me.

Red

but I'll bore those who have read it once again.
I flew to Gillette a few weeks ago just to see how bad/good it is.Spent an entire day and night and was not impressed.So I cancelled my reservations and will wait for a more appealing location for a National.The National is far more to me than a place in my mind-it's a destination.Those of us who share our opinions,whether pro or con,are the ones who help those who cannot/have not visited Gillette before.I for 1 appreciate an oppsing view as it allowed me to make that trip and decide,firsthand,that Gillette isn't for me.
As someine said earlier,the motto might read,"Gillette,it's not for everyone".
Someone mentioned Du Quoin earlier.It was my 1st and only National.I didn't camp but had a great time.There were trees and shade and everything I thought conducive to a nice rally.
When I attend a rally,I will spend the vast majority of my time on the rally grounds,which must be appealing to me.I'll do my exploring both before and after the rally.
So in my opinion,seen firsthand,there are no half truths or innuendo regarding Gillette,on my part.
John

Fred

:brow

Red pretty well covered my take on this thread. But I might be wrong. Rather than make more assumptions, I asked Greenwald to explain why he posted the information.

p.s. I'm not, as has been repeated ad nauseam, a forum moderator. I'm the plumber. While I can turn the water off for the entire building, I don't decide who gets to take a hot or cold shower.

but I'll bore those who have read it once again.
I flew to Gillette a few weeks ago just to see how bad/good it is.Spent an entire day and night and was not impressed.So I cancelled my reservations and will wait for a more appealing location for a National.The National is far more to me than a place in my mind-it's a destination.Those of us who share our opinions,whether pro or con,are the ones who help those who cannot/have not visited Gillette before.I for 1 appreciate an oppsing view as it allowed me to make that trip and decide,firsthand,that Gillette isn't for me.
As someine said earlier,the motto might read,"Gillette,it's not for everyone".
Someone mentioned Du Quoin earlier.It was my 1st and only National.I didn't camp but had a great time.There were trees and shade and everything I thought conducive to a nice rally.
When I attend a rally,I will spend the vast majority of my time on the rally grounds,which must be appealing to me.I'll do my exploring both before and after the rally.
So in my opinion,seen firsthand,there are no half truths or innuendo regarding Gillette,on my part.
John

Nope, and honestly, John? I have no problem with you. We both came, we both saw, and have differing opinions of next year's rally. end of stoy. I will go, and I will drink the water.

Dale aka "Red"

Likewise Bud

Hope to see you at one somewhere down the road.:wave

I've been retired nearly 2 years and have spent very little time on the GS.I've lived in both Honduras and Mexico during that time w/o the GS.And have travelled quite a bit too.Relocating to San Antonio next week and if you're down that way,drop me a line and we can do some riding.:thumb
John

Like Sibud said

Nope, and honestly, John? I have no problem with you. We both came, we both saw, and have differing opinions of next year's rally. end of stoy. I will go, and I will drink the water.

Dale aka "Red"

I hope to see you on the road,or at another National.
John