View Poll Results: Is it okay to drink and ride?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • I refuse to drink and ride

51 80.95%
  • It's OK to have a beer or two (very moderate drinking)

10 15.87%
  • I like to party like its 1999!

2 3.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drinking & Riding

Here in the Myrtle Beach area we have two HD "bike weeks". The consumption of Beer seems to be done in "mass quantities" I am always astonished that the death toll is somewhere around only five or six or so.

When I go for a local jaunt on a weekend or evening during normal (non bike week times) I am amazed at the number of bikes I see parked at the saloons. I can only wonder at the alcohol consumption that this must in some way represent.

I also wonder why the operators of these machines would prefer a bar stool in a smokey tavern to riding their machine.

I get such great enjoyment out of riding my motorcycle that I am surprised that it is not illegal.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Nope, never, not going to do it!
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

One drink = One 5 oz glass of wine, 12 oz beer, shot of liquor or mixed drink.

The average person with a full stomach generally takes 3 drinks in the first hour to get up to a BAC of 0.10 % then one drink each hour after that to stay there.

That said if your smaller, larger, empty stomach, etc you might be different. Also, some people hold their liquor better than others.

Now for my experience - I was once at a rally in Canada and was staying at a B&B 1/4 mile down the road. I had never drank and rode before. On the last night there I was drinking beer. I don't know how many I had, cause I wasn't counting but if I had to guess I'd say maybe 6 over 4 or 5 hours. I know I should have walked but felt fine to ride. Except when I started riding down that gravel road in 2nd gear I knew I was in over my head. I made it there but will never drink and ride again.

MarkF

Originally posted by fish
    I wish I could go to rallies and see ladies like this NOT with some other rider! Don't single girls go to rallies?

MarkF

Originally posted by MarkF
    I wish I could go to rallies and see ladies like this NOT with some other rider! Don't single girls go to rallies?

MarkF
    Not on BMWs......

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

REBECCAV
    Originally posted by KBasa
    Not on BMWs......
    Ahem.......
    Some of us ride BMWs.

Originally posted by boxergrrlie
    Ahem.......
    Some of us ride BMWs.
    My bad. My bad.

And a quite nice BMW at that.....

starts groveling and kneeling toward Milwaukee...
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

REBECCAV
    Originally posted by KBasa
    starts groveling and kneeling toward Milwaukee...
    Duly noted. I will condescend to let you buy me a beer at the National. After I'm done riding for the day, of course!

In.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Won't work.

The Poll, that is.

Here's the way I see it:

Who is going to write in and say, "I love to slug 'em down and then ride in all three lanes of a two lane road"?

You guys have responded appropriately and, I'm sure, honestly. It's the folks that don't write in that are coming across the double yellow.

Hopefully, our clan has a lower ride-drive/drink equation than the norm. Hopefully motorcycle enthuisasts *as a whole* have the same lower rates of drinking/riding.

I'm an alkie, so I don't drink. 1981. And booze wasn't my first choice of chemical flogging. However, I have nothing against slurping 'em down. For people that want to party and walk, that is. And for folks that don't **** up their whole familiy's lives over the juice (or whatever). Oh, and not for *me*. 8^)

Hell, I've been a designated driver for 23 years.

Your right

Magwa's right about the poll of course. There is no doubt, in my opinion, that as far as the motorcycling population goes, that its probably about 50/50.

I'll be at Bike week in Daytona this weekend and my guess would probably be 60/40 in favor of those folks drinking and riding. I hope I'm wrong.

I just wanted to confirm, as a relatively new rider, that other folks that I listen to on this forum felt as I did regarding drinking and riding.

I've read enough to know that many of the forum members feel as I do. Good enough for me. I personally don't feel "peer pressure" as I did 20 years ago and the ride really is enough on its own. The "high" I get going over Unicoi Gap, which is less than a mile from my subdivsion, is much better than a beer buzz anyway.

Good job on the 23 years Magwa.

Know your limit...don't get sloppy...drive meekly...eat food...be ever diligent...if in doubt, toss the keys in some dark place...live to ride another day...really, it's no difference than with a car...I say this because "there are those times", but, really, I much prefer driving straight and sober (or buzzed up on coffee)...

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    My favorite riding and drinking story found me taking my bike home so some friends and I could hit some bars. I didn't want to take a chance.

While waiting at a stop sign I was rear ended on my nearly new 1983 Yamaha 650 Turbo. I did a backflip and landed on my A$$ with the guy's front bumper slamming into my helmet.

As you may have guessed, he was not only drunk, but on parole, no insurance in a borrowed car that was not registered.

My friends in the car behind him jumped out and held him down till the cops came. Needless to say, he went back to prison, my bike went to the junkyard, and my head required MANY drinks to forget the pain, and loss of my bike.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Subzero Scooter Idiot oldcarkook's Avatar
    I limit my drinking to times when I am operating heavy equipment. There's nothing like putting on a good buzz and getting in the seat of an excavator or tractor loader backhoe and then showing off how macho I am!

I'm with the others here who ask who would admit it even if they did.

When I'm on the bike, it's like I'm flying a 747 full of passengers and all my senses are on hyper alert and I like it that way. That's why I ride.

Nah, for me, riding is like meditation. I won't sip any alcohol or inhale any latin lettuce if I'm getting back on the saddle. The potential adverse consequences outweigh the benefits.
    Experience is the comb that mother nature gives us when we are bald

My So is a ER Physician, Take my word for it, you don't want to hear the stories he has come home and told me. He also rides a bike, It is just not worth it, even in full gear like the one last night. It is not worth it. Please don't drink and drive. There is nothing there but you and the pavement or the car that comes left and center and hits you like the one that did last night. He didn't make it sorry to say. Save the drinking after the ride.
    Last edited by BMWBEAUTY; 03-07-2004 at 04:05 PM.